Author Topic: Procimequat x poncirus  (Read 869 times)

Akebia

• Mid Atlantic US
    • View Profile
Procimequat x poncirus
« on: November 05, 2022, 10:42:46 AM »
Looking through the meiwa x flying dragon thread from a few years ago it seems some people here bought seed from this cross on eBay.  Any updates on the seedlings? 

What was amazing is that the breeder claims the skin of this hybrid is palatable like kumquat, and even likes to eat them as much as meiwa!  This seems unheard of for a poncirus F1.  Is there some magic in the parentage of procimequt, maybe triploidy that has promoted this, perhaps something from the hindsii genetics?  Maybe just a lucky outlier.  As someone wanting to breed hardy kumquat hybrids, it’s very inspiring to know it has already been done for zone 7.  Assuming of course that the seller isn’t being misleading.  Is procimequat available anywhere? 

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
Re: Procimequat x poncirus
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 10:54:21 AM »
F you plant 100,000 seeds one might come out to be cold hardy and produce great tasting fruit before first fruit destroying frost.

Akebia

• Mid Atlantic US
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 03:21:41 PM »
Upon looking up crossing a triploid with a diploid, this came up:

"Therefore, triploids may produce tetraploid offspring when selfed or crossed to diploids or tetraploids. Because the probability of two 2n gametes uniting is expected to be low, researchers have hypothesized that triploids will play an important role in tetraploid formation and evolution (Harlan & de Wet, 1975)"

If the procimequat x poncirus created a tetraploid, maybe the greater genomic complexity could explain a palatable F1 with poncirus? 

I guess the only way to know would be to ask the breeder about the siblings from this cross. 

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 10:35:22 PM »
If you’re looking for prociemquat, I know woodlanders has a few left. Had to email them directly to request it and they were happy to send me some. I plan to use both prociemquat and Kinzu in future breeding projects. I believe and was once told that they must be used as male parent as they’re around 99% nucellar as a female.

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 03:01:16 PM »
just an example how hybridisation of a triploid and a diploid resulted in a new tetraploid species

Akebia

• Mid Atlantic US
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2022, 07:50:46 PM »
Frank, I would love to hear more about your kumquat crosses.  Thanks for the nursery tip -- hopefully they still have one! 

Mikkel, that's a great illustration thanks.  Its like an instant backcross!  I wonder if its more efficient to use a triploid as the mother than the pollen parent in a 3n x 2n.  Since as Frank says the procimequat is nucellar I will hopefully get to try it.