Author Topic: Citrus Sub Forum???  (Read 10696 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Citrus Sub Forum???
« on: April 13, 2014, 02:23:47 PM »
My name is Millet.  To the owners of this forum.... I was an administrator on The Citrus Growers Forum, a 9 year old large forum.  The owner of The Citrus Growers forum has abandoned our forum, and he was the only person authorized to activate new potential members. Therefore, no new members can join, which will mean a slow death of the forum.  I am here to ask the owners of this forum if they would consider adding a citrus sub forum to the Tropical Fruit Forum.  If a citrus sub forum would be considered, I would ask all the current membership of The Citrus Growers Forum to consider joining this forum.   Thank you - Millet

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Citrus Sub Forum???
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 02:30:11 PM »
Hi Millet, for me it's a good idea...  ;)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 02:31:39 PM »
Millet that' is a very good idea. All in one forum.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 02:43:05 PM »
I support this idea too.

catamijo

• USA - Port St Lucie, Florida - Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 03:09:42 PM »
That would be a great idea
Need bees, plant flowers

Josh-Los-Angeles

• Zone 10B, Sunset 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 03:43:44 PM »
I haven't been here that long, but what would be really helpful is sub-forums for each fruit group -- citrus, avocado, mango, etc. The way it is now with so many posts each day, some topics get lost onto the second or third page, never to be seen again.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 03:49:48 PM »
How about bananas and citrus in one forum?  Two of the most widely eaten fruits in the world.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 04:15:42 PM »
We could definitely make a citrus sub forum. One thing I noticed from checking out the citrus forum is that they have a bunch of separate boards for different citrus topics and I think its way too divided. We would prefer not to make too many sub boards. What new boards do you think would be best to create for citrus? Since you are a moderator over there, I will make you a moderator of the citrus boards as well.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 05:57:34 PM »
Cool. I like the idea of a citrus forum.

they have a bunch of separate boards for different citrus topics and I think its way too divided. We would prefer not to make too many sub boards.

Right. Most forums have way too many sub forum. The end result is that people keep posting in the main discussion forum to get visibility and responses (but they risk to be offtopic) or in secondary forum (and they don't get any response).
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Joe Brancato

• Jamestown/Ward, Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 07:23:14 PM »
It would be awesome to make a citrus sub forum here!! That said I'm going to miss the Citrus Growers Forum :( There really is a wealth of knowledge on that site and I really do hope the owner Lazz (Todd) decides to start showing up there again. As some folks have pointed out the Citrus Forum does have entirely too many sub topics that do not get melded into broader threads like they should. As a result the same questions do get posted frequently and occasionally good information goes to the wayside as the threads get backlogged by new topics. I sure hope this is not the death of the Citrus Growers Forum :(

Joe

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 07:33:06 PM »
Fine with me.
I like citrus - especially my own.
Richard

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 07:34:44 PM »
A citrus subforum is a great idea.   As a member of the dying Citrus Growers Forum, I am sad to see it go. 

John
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

joeb

• usa.statesboro,ga.zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 08:16:55 PM »
Just joined this forum, moved over from the citrus forum. A citrus sub forum on this site would be great!!! I am growing citrus, mangos and papayas in a greenhouse and cold hardy citrus in ground, this would be a great fit.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 08:40:20 PM »
Thank you for the very positive posts.  It would be our honor to become The Tropical Fruit Forum's newest members. Please give me a day or two to reply. Personally I believe we could get by with only three boards, container citrus, in ground citrus and cold hardy citrus.  I have suggested these to our membership, and asked for their input.  Wit gratitude Millet

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 09:26:07 PM »
Sounds good to me! The more you can learn in one place the better! And hell who doesn't like citrus?
Joe

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 09:40:39 PM »
Thank you for the very positive posts.  It would be our honor to become The Tropical Fruit Forum's newest members. Please give me a day or two to reply. Personally I believe we could get by with only three boards, container citrus, in ground citrus and cold hardy citrus.  I have suggested these to our membership, and asked for their input.  Wit gratitude Millet

I just made the Citrus category and board. I'll make the additional boards once there's a consensus on what would be best.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 05:04:27 AM »
Although finger limes are technically citrus they don't look anything like citrus, and forum members show great enthusiasm for this species. It is only citrus many of us really exited about.  So, I hope finger lime discussion will remain on the main fruit board. 
Me personally while enthusiastic about all fruit an nut species have zero interest in citrus. Also notice very few forum members grow citrus or discuss about it. For this reason hope citrus sub forum will move below everything else sub forum next to tropical vegetables.

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 05:44:52 AM »
Agreed
Although finger limes are technically citrus they don't look anything like citrus, and forum members show great enthusiasm for this species. It is only citrus many of us really exited about.  So, I hope finger lime discussion will remain on the main fruit board. 
Me personally while enthusiastic about all fruit an nut species have zero interest in citrus. Also notice very few forum members grow citrus or discuss about it. For this reason hope citrus sub forum will move below everything else sub forum next to tropical vegetables.
JC

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 05:47:50 AM »

Citrus growers forum has 3232 registered users, some are more active, some less, so if significant number of them come here, this citrus sub-forum will be pretty active.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 06:25:59 AM »
Would be great to have more discussion of citrus here.
I'm surprised though that one person leaving citrus forum spells death of such a popular forum? :o What precautions are being taken on this tropical fruit forum to make sure same thing doesn't happen here? I hope there are several moderators here that can approve new members? I think this should be taken as a warning, and all steps taken to make sure something similar doesn't happen here. It would be terrible to lose all the information contained here.
Oscar

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 07:16:12 AM »
Personally I believe we could get by with only three boards, container citrus, in ground citrus and cold hardy citrus.

I completely agree with you. Citrus are a subtropical crop so many growers (much more than enthusiasts about tropical fruit) have occasional issues with cold weather and/or are zone pushers.  Cold hardiness is a big chunk of the discussions. On the other hand traditionally citrus grow very well in pot, and growing them in pot is a widespread practice (and a viable solution for people living in cold climates).  Everything else can go in the main discussion board (pests, fertilization, grafts, and so on).
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 07:33:48 AM »
I'm would like to this happen.

Finally a fruit forum not dominated by those darn Flo-ridians (just kidding).

I would also like to say thanks to all, moderators and posters alike.  This is a fantastic place to learn without the rancor that seems to be so prevalent everywhere else on the net (well.. most of the time).

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 02:17:44 PM »
Millet is the real deal, always willing to help.  I posted at his citrus forum quite a few times but the one thing I always had trouble with is posting photos there.

I've moderated forums, did 6 at once all my mah lonesome and have to agree with Patrick, you can dice this thing up until it really becomes watered down.   

But, it's all good..........

citriko

• Serbia,Nis,7a/7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2014, 02:23:26 PM »
Hello...I'm Nikola(citriko).I'm from Nis,Serbia.I was a member of "Citrus growers forum",now I'm here...

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 02:33:18 PM »
It's so good to have a lot of new people here!!!  ;D