Author Topic: Anyone using mosquito netting for CLM?  (Read 966 times)

jbclem

• USA, California, Topanga, 9b
    • View Profile
Anyone using mosquito netting for CLM?
« on: August 16, 2020, 01:55:55 AM »
I'm trying to figure out the correct hole size in mosquito netting (or noseeum netting) used to keep citrus leaf miner off my flushing citrus.  I bought one type designed to hang over a bed, and it works great but I'm worried that the holes aren't small enough.

The CLM moth is said to have a 4-5 mm wingspan, and using that as a reference the body looks about 4mm long and 2mm wide.  So what size hole could this moth squeeze it's way through?  Taking a deep breath and holding it's wings tight, maybe it could get through a 2mm hole.  The netting I bought has 169 holes per square inch, and I tried to measure the holes with a caliper...they look like 1.5-2mm wide.  Other mosquito nettings are about 250 holes per sq inch.  Some noseeum nettings advertise 600 holes per square inch and I've seen claims up to 1800 holes per sq inch...but it's hard to know who to believe on that score.

I'd like to buy some more of the same netting I bought, and it's cheaper than the noseeum nettings and I have a bunch of container and small citrus that I need to cover...but I'm just speculating about the size of the CLM moth and it's ability(and desire) to squeeze through holes.  Does anyone have better information or experience using mosquito netting?

This is the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005E18MEG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

John
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 02:19:17 AM by jbclem »

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone using mosquito netting for CLM?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 07:13:00 PM »
jbclem,

How were your plants dong with the net?  I guess it should work because I saw nets are sold on web for it.