Author Topic: Found these in my citrus tree soil.  (Read 887 times)

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
Found these in my citrus tree soil.
« on: February 20, 2022, 01:51:42 PM »
Are these harmful to my trees.

https://youtu.be/hpVkD4r7Neg

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Found these in my citrus tree soil.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 03:05:16 PM »
They look like young millipedes to me - predators.  Not completely sure though.  Millipedes arengood to have I think

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 08:15:48 PM »
Yes, they are centipede young.  Centipedes are a beneficial bug.  In my greenhouse I NEVER kill hem, as they eat other bugs
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 08:29:45 PM by Millet »

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 09:21:39 PM »
They are some sort of greenhouse/flat-backed millipede. There are many families and species of those millipedes, some native to the US, others introduced, so I cannot give you a more specific identification. These are not carnivorous; they eat decaying plant matter. They are a constant presence in my compost, which is full of the decaying plant matter they feed on. They also often tend to end up in my container plants. Although I keep my plants on tables when outside, millipedes can apparently climb up metal table legs with no difficulty. I do not think they harm potted plants; I have seen no evidence that they do, though their presence might indicate that your potting mix has too much un-broken-down organic matter. Your picture looks pretty much like my compost, very wet with a mixture of broken-down and not broken-down organic material and a plethora of millipedes going about their business eating. I think that potting mix is more likely to harm your trees, particularly citrus, than those millipedes.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 10:24:32 PM »
I always assumed all millipedes are carnivorous, interesting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk