Author Topic: Tree collards in subtropics  (Read 1291 times)

TheVeggieProfessor

• Broward County, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
Tree collards in subtropics
« on: September 27, 2022, 08:10:17 AM »
I'm in 10b (SE FL). Has anyone had luck with any varieties of tree collards making it through the summer? Project tree collard says that their "Big Blue" variety might be okay up to zone 11, but hasn't been tested much. I'm thinking of giving it a try, but wondering if anyone found one that works?

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
Re: Tree collards in subtropics
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2022, 07:20:58 AM »
I think that is the one I got from them. I should say I got about 6 and 1 survived. It is lanky, and fewer leaves than I expected. I'm in 9a. You should probably give it afternoon shade and keep it out of the wind. Might be doable. D

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 12:01:47 PM »
The tree collard I put out front made it through the very long dry spell recently. All the grass died but it didn't even blink.

Idk if it is a named variety but I got the cutting from amazon.

Edit: it is green. I haven't had much luck with the purple leaf.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 12:05:43 PM by Vegan Potato Man »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 03:06:55 PM »
Actually, even regular collards will grow through the summer if you give them shade. I have seen them in a lot of older people's yards. Some were grown in full shade and some with morning sun. Bugs are the bigger issue for me. Growing collards as an annual helps reduce the pest pressure in my opinion. Actually, all collards will grow as a perennial of sorts in Florida. They are bienials that need a cold period to go dormant (vernalization) before they bloom and we don't typically get cold enough for that in my part of the state.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2022, 10:32:21 AM »
I grow Project Tree Collard's purple tree collard both in Laguna Beach and Fallbrook.  I planted the cutting in Fallbrook out in full sun and it's taken 100+ degrees.  It does not grow as much during summer and the leaves taste stronger, but fine for cooking and making kale chips.  They grow well during fall and winter, at that time during winter rains, the leaves are very tender and even the larger leaves and stems taste good raw.  The color is a deeper purple as well.

My only complaint about the plant is the way it grows and it needs to be staked.  Staked it grows tall with a long stem and leaves are mostly at the top of the plant.  If you let it sprawl it will grow more side shoots but it still needs support to keep the leaves up.  At my home garden I've been just letting it meander and get support from other plants growing around it.  Plant is several years old.

I also like the purple tree collard sold by Wendiland
https://wendiland.com/collections/herbs-plants/products/tree-collard-ruffle
It has a better growth habit, sturdier stems and it's more compact.  The taste is good with a different flavor from the regular purple tree collard and once you have the plant it can also be propagated by cuttings.  I think it was selected from a garden in Las Vegas, it has grown fine in full sun in Fallbrook all summer.

I have my own perennial kale breeding project I have been working on for over a decade.  Hope to share that in the future.

Janet

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 09:46:36 AM »
I grow Project Tree Collard's purple tree collard both in Laguna Beach and Fallbrook.  I planted the cutting in Fallbrook out in full sun and it's taken 100+ degrees.  It does not grow as much during summer and the leaves taste stronger, but fine for cooking and making kale chips.  They grow well during fall and winter, at that time during winter rains, the leaves are very tender and even the larger leaves and stems taste good raw.  The color is a deeper purple as well.

My only complaint about the plant is the way it grows and it needs to be staked.  Staked it grows tall with a long stem and leaves are mostly at the top of the plant.  If you let it sprawl it will grow more side shoots but it still needs support to keep the leaves up.  At my home garden I've been just letting it meander and get support from other plants growing around it.  Plant is several years old.

I also like the purple tree collard sold by Wendiland
https://wendiland.com/collections/herbs-plants/products/tree-collard-ruffle
It has a better growth habit, sturdier stems and it's more compact.  The taste is good with a different flavor from the regular purple tree collard and once you have the plant it can also be propagated by cuttings.  I think it was selected from a garden in Las Vegas, it has grown fine in full sun in Fallbrook all summer.

I have my own perennial kale breeding project I have been working on for over a decade.  Hope to share that in the future.

Janet

Thanks so much for the information, Janet! I'll try the tree collard linked. Also, check out Chomolia (https://codycovefarm.com/product/chomolia/). A tree kale from zimbabwe. Mine made it through the summer, but was planted on the north side of my house. I just propagated to the south side. Will see how it does this summer.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2022, 09:49:32 AM »
Definitely want to try Cody Cove farm kale, but they don't ship out of Florida.  They're working on getting the licensing.

What did you think about the taste and texture?  Was it mild even during summer?

Yellow cabbage collard is also one of my favorites, though I don't know how long it will produce.  Mine have survived for three years.

Janet

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2022, 03:20:01 PM »
Definitely want to try Cody Cove farm kale, but they don't ship out of Florida.  They're working on getting the licensing.

What did you think about the taste and texture?  Was it mild even during summer?

Yellow cabbage collard is also one of my favorites, though I don't know how long it will produce.  Mine have survived for three years.

Janet

I didn't eat it during summer since it wasn't really growing. I've eaten is lately and really like it. Pretty mild.