Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems

(1/496) > >>

murahilin:
The goal of this post is for everyone who has a mango pest, disease, or nutritional problem to post the picture here and for it to be diagnosed and be a future reference for others. Please only include your own pics and not pics pulled from the web.

I'll start, I noticed what appears to be eggs on my coconut cream mango tree. Can anyone tell what type of eggs so I know whether to get rid of them?

Tropicalgrower89:
I'm not sure what type of eggs they are, but I would get a napkin and wipe them off.

murahilin:

--- Quote from: enduser on April 14, 2012, 02:40:04 PM ---I say a heavy dose of malathion, or Sevin mixed with some neem oil or horticultural oil to make sure it suffocates and kill those intruders. While you are at it give that poor tree some copper to get rid of all that anthracnose. I'm done playing Mr. nice guy with pests on my fruit trees.

--- End quote ---

I think that's over kill. I rather not spray my trees with too many strong pesticides. Since I don't know what type of eggs they are I don't plan on getting rid of them. I try not to spray copper that often either.

Mr. Clean:

--- Quote from: enduser on April 14, 2012, 02:40:04 PM ---I say a heavy dose of malathion, or Sevin mixed with some neem oil or horticultural oil to make sure it suffocates and kill those intruders. While you are at it give that poor tree some copper to get rid of all that anthracnose. I'm done playing Mr. nice guy with pests on my fruit trees.

--- End quote ---

Enduser's advice sounds good to me.  Perhaps start off with a pesticide, if that doesn't kill the critters, try something stronger.  The copper makes sense since your tree has anthracnose. 

murahilin:

--- Quote from: Mr. Clean on April 16, 2012, 04:01:31 PM ---Enduser's advice sounds good to me.  Perhaps start off with a pesticide, if that doesn't kill the critters, try something stronger.  The copper makes sense since your tree has anthracnose.

--- End quote ---

Why would I want to kill something I haven't yet identified? Even after identifying it, why would be first choice be to use a pesticide? Why not let the other bugs handle it. Mango trees are pretty good at taking care of themselves. I don't think I have ever had to spray a pesticide on any mango tree I've planted in the ground.

The reason the copper doesn't make sense to me is that over use of copper can be damaging to the environment and unless my tree is flowering and I am possibly going to lose a large amount of fruit I see no need to spray copper on my tree.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version