Bengal
Emperor
Early Large Red
No Mai Tsze
Sweet Cliff
Farwell Ranch
Hanging Green
Groff

Author Topic: Favorite Lychee Variety  (Read 42746 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Favorite Lychee Variety
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2012, 06:32:33 PM »
Great! The Chinese did the impossible. According to a plant geneticist i spoke to many years ago "seedless lychee is impossible! The aril needs a seed around which to develop."
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2012, 06:40:56 PM »
Oscar as you know the implausable keeps happening in the fruit world.When good brazilian seeds get past the plant gastopo to reach my letterbox I will know the impossible really can happen.The flavor report is positive and I reckon one of these decades they will reach the land of the free.   

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2012, 06:46:06 PM »
Oscar as you know the implausable keeps happening in the fruit world.When good brazilian seeds get past the plant gastopo to reach my letterbox I will know the impossible really can happen.The flavor report is positive and I reckon one of these decades they will reach the land of the free.

The impossible can happen if you dust all with fairy powder or wave your magic wand. Everything that makes it through your Rat Patrol ag agents is a miraculous fruit.  ;D
Oscar

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2012, 01:22:30 AM »
Here's a comparison between Hak Ip(large seed), another seeded lychee, and seedless. This site calls it A4 too so I guess that's the right name. Average 46g/fruit, up to 82.5g.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2012, 01:25:51 AM »
Here's a comparison between Hak Ip(large seed), another seeded lychee, and seedless. This site calls it A4 too so I guess that's the right name. Average 46g/fruit, up to 82.5g.

This orchard is close to the place where Jason Nursery gets its plants. I wonder if it's the same place. Timestamp on this post is 2004.

Eekler81 tropical trail

• Melbourne Beach FL Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2012, 01:52:42 PM »
Well unfortunatly Ive only had Brewster, Mauritius , and sweetheart but I enjoy the  Mauritius best maybe because the pit is smaller(Chx tongue) and their is more flesh but i could have it mixed up so I vote

Mauritius!!1.........

THX
Eekler

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2012, 04:23:23 PM »
Well unfortunatly Ive only had Brewster, Mauritius , and sweetheart but I enjoy the  Mauritius best maybe because the pit is smaller(Chx tongue) and their is more flesh but i could have it mixed up so I vote

Mauritius!!1.........

THX
Eekler

I think you did mix them up. Mauritius has as large or larger seeds and equal or less edible flesh than the others you mention.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2015, 12:08:07 PM »
There are many varieties of lychee with different flavor, seed size and coloration of fruit.
Please share your favorite variety of lychee and why.
My favorite lychee has to be the sweetheart. Produce a sweet fruit with thick flash and very small seed.
The only drawback to the sweetheart is less fruit production compare to the Brewster or the Mauritius.
Second place has to be the sweet cliff lychee.
RichardN

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2015, 03:54:03 PM »
I haven't had many varieties, but of the few available commercially in Hawaii Kaimana is a clear winner because of its large, flavorful fruit.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2015, 04:12:38 PM »
After the shitty last few years in florida I'm not picky anymore. But the last time there was a good selection my favorites were Ohia and Farewell ranch. I'm actually not a huge fan of kaimana for some reason.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2015, 04:39:59 PM »
There are many varieties of lychee with different flavor, seed size and coloration of fruit.
Please share your favorite variety of lychee and why.
My favorite lychee has to be the sweetheart. Produce a sweet fruit with thick flash and very small seed.
The only drawback to the sweetheart is less fruit production compare to the Brewster or the Mauritius.
Second place has to be the sweet cliff lychee.

Please use the search feature before making new posts. I've merged your post with an older post with a poll.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2015, 08:38:16 PM »
I still can't believe Mauritius is #1 on the poll. Anyone know if the Mauritius in Florida is Kwai Mi or cinnamon flavor? I'm not a big fan of the Mauritius because it can be slightly tart but a fully ripe one is pretty good. I'll take some pictures of SoCal grown Mauritius later in the year.
Simon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2015, 11:37:05 PM »
I still can't believe Mauritius is #1 on the poll. Anyone know if the Mauritius in Florida is Kwai Mi or cinnamon flavor? I'm not a big fan of the Mauritius because it can be slightly tart but a fully ripe one is pretty good. I'll take some pictures of SoCal grown Mauritius later in the year.
Simon

You hit the nail on the head with Mauritius.   It is not forgiving if picked early.   When picked early it will have a distinct tart component.   When left to fully ripen, fully red and fully ripe, they c an b e wweet as sugar.  I also recommend picking them late afternoon to early evening for the sugar l evel to be at its peak within yhe fruit.
- Rob

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2015, 04:07:01 AM »
Mauritius is pretty good and it is identified pretty easily by shoulders.It is one of the sweeter and bigger types that ripens early.When I eat them and Kwai Mai pink (bosworth?) together the Mauritius are so much better.It is one line of Tai so and some other lines have bigger duller fruit but taste the same.
I am baby sitting an erdon lee tree for a friend dropped off by another friend.I really wonder if it lives up to its hype and it really is a whopper as well.
 Cheers
Mike

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 25, 2015, 01:16:55 PM »
Thanks for the info Rob and Mike. Mike, please keep us updated on the Erdon Lee, I'm eager to see if it lives up to its reputation.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk