Author Topic: Guava mango  (Read 19003 times)

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Guava mango
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2022, 02:55:32 AM »
I'm going to bump this thread up because I think the information that Alex shares in this video is very interesting and I couldn't find it in the forum: Guava is actually Sein Ta Lone from Myanmar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEH8NUi6P5I
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 06:18:57 PM by Jose Spain »

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2022, 06:02:35 PM »
I've never had a Guava mango, but planted a tree based on the wonderful reputation.  I have my first fruit, and it looks like I should pick it.  Except the stem doesn't look brown.  Can anyone chime in and let me know if this one looks ready?  What do you look for to make sure it's picked at the correct stage?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2022, 12:26:38 PM »
I'm going to bump this thread up because I think the information that Alex shares in this video is very interesting and I couldn't find it in the forum: Guava is actually Sein Ta Lone from Myanmar:

OK, so why does he classify Guava as Indian/West Indian flavor and Sein Ta Lone as Indochinese flavor?  That sounds contradictory, but maybe he can explain.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 12:34:03 PM by johnb51 »
John

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2022, 06:44:24 PM »
I've never had a Guava mango, but planted a tree based on the wonderful reputation.  I have my first fruit, and it looks like I should pick it.  Except the stem doesn't look brown.  Can anyone chime in and let me know if this one looks ready?  What do you look for to make sure it's picked at the correct stage?

It looks ready and i am fairly certain you will love the flavor. My tree has about 20 fruits, but still at least a month away from being ripe.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2022, 10:42:09 PM »

OK, so why does he classify Guava as Indian/West Indian flavor and Sein Ta Lone as Indochinese flavor?  That sounds contradictory, but maybe he can explain.

I need to edit that entry. It’s a difficult mango to classify in terms of flavor group.

But Guava is definitely the same mango as Sein Ta Lone.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2022, 12:42:44 AM »

I need to edit that entry. It’s a difficult mango to classify in terms of flavor group.

But Guava is definitely the same mango as Sein Ta Lone.
;) Gotcha.
John

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2022, 08:15:05 AM »
I've been wondering what the growth behavior of Guava would be classified as. I have it grafted in on one branch, from that I would guess it would be lanky (long internodes), open and spreading with medium vigor. I've been debating grafting it to it's own seedling and growing the tree (since it seems like ~one of~ the highest quality early season mangoes), but I want an early variety that is easy to manage and is somewhat attractive. My guess is Guava fails in one of those aspects. Anybody that's been growing it for awhile have any feedback on the tree?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2022, 12:07:30 PM »
I've been wondering what the growth behavior of Guava would be classified as. I have it grafted in on one branch, from that I would guess it would be lanky (long internodes), open and spreading with medium vigor. I've been debating grafting it to it's own seedling and growing the tree (since it seems like ~one of~ the highest quality early season mangoes), but I want an early variety that is easy to manage and is somewhat attractive. My guess is Guava fails in one of those aspects. Anybody that's been growing it for awhile have any feedback on the tree?

Open canopy, spreading habit with long internodes and moderately vigorous rate of growth.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2022, 01:18:37 PM »
Open canopy, spreading habit with long internodes and moderately vigorous rate of growth.

Thanks Alex, that's exactly what I was guessing.

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2022, 08:35:16 AM »
Guava mango
Pineapple mango
Coconut mango
What is next?
Mango mango? Nah, i guess that would be too boring.  ;)
More seriously, how come only mangoes can impersonate other fruits? I've yet to hear of:
Mango guava
Mango pineapple
Mango coconut

Well said. And let's not forget the one that tastes like Minneola Tangeloes, the one that tastes like Turpentine, and of course the one that tastes like some dude named Thomas Atkins.

Lol!!  That was killer.

Holy moly, the entire Zill family has a graftable flavor profile.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2022, 11:31:10 AM »
At my more coastal location, Guava Mango appears to be highly productive. In 2021 I grafted guava scions onto three separate trees (Ataulfo and manila rootstock in the ground) and all three formed fruit this year. It also appears to be a good grower meaning moderately high vigor. 

I also did one guava mango graft in July 2020 onto my manila tree in the backyard and the graft union is now almost 1" in diameter and there are about 10-12 small fruit forming.

Likely this cultivar will do well in SoCal and I am optimistic. 

Johnny
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 11:48:16 AM by Johnny Eat Fruit »