Author Topic: Bannana issue  (Read 5226 times)

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Bannana issue
« on: October 04, 2015, 04:39:38 AM »
My banana plants fruited for the first time during this summer but the fruits look very bad

The fruts were green during the summer and developing normal. 1 month ago turned to grey and than total black like charcoal
2 Plants next to another with the same problem.
What is that issue? Is it dangerous for my plants?

« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 04:44:56 AM by msk0072 »
Mike

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Bannana issue
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 10:38:46 AM »
Looks Like Post-harvest Rots of Banana.

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/pd-54.pdf

Ed
Zone 10

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 10:47:29 AM »
Ahhhh....post harvest?  The bananas in question have not yet been harvested.
- Rob

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 11:29:40 AM »
True !... What ever it is , don't look too good..
Good Luck with your Musa !...

Ed
Zone 10

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 08:01:38 AM »
More advices from the experts?
I want to be sure how to eradicate the problem and how to protect my plants
Mike

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 08:07:49 AM »
looks like the tree aborted the fruit, happened to one of mine when the mat was young but the next year it was fine.

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 01:45:56 PM »
The pictures are from 2 different plants. One next to other Is that happened by chance?
Mike

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 11:43:27 PM »
It looks like that variety may not be appropriate for the South Florida location.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 11:59:37 PM »
It looks like that variety may not be appropriate for the South Florida location.

South Florida???  Please tell me, would the following be in Miami-Dade or Broward County: Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b

« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 12:01:23 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 01:13:58 AM »
Could it have not received enough water, is the a pup connected to it coming up, or is it within a couple feet of other banana trees. All factors that could cause that.

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 01:24:40 AM »

South Florida???  Please tell me, would the following be in Miami-Dade or Broward County: Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
:)
Mike

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 01:44:22 AM »
Could it have not received enough water, is the a pup connected to it coming up, or is it within a couple feet of other banana trees. All factors that could cause that.
The trees are 2,5 meters apart. Around them are many pups coming up. The watering during the hot summer was every second day and maybe some periods every third day when I was traveling. Could it cause the problem?
Mike

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 07:40:49 AM »
how long have they been in the ground?

venturabananas

• USA, CA, Ventura, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 12:29:30 PM »
The short answer is, I don't know, but here's some speculation...

First off, what variety of banana is it?  If it is a seeded (ornamental) variety, lack of pollination could explain the aborted fruit.

If it is an edible variety, I don't see an obvious cause of the aborting of the fruit.  It appears the rest of the plant is healthy, including the rachis (the stalk the fruit are attached to).  That suggests that there isn't some disease or nutritional problem that is affecting the entire plant and the problem is confined to the fruit.  It is possible that there was some major stress (e.g., lack of water or very hot, dry conditions) at a key point in fruit development.

If it isn't a seeded variety, then just ensuring optimal growth conditions is your best bet: heavily mulch to retain water and deliver some nutrients, fertilize regularly with something high in potassium, water adequately, etc.  Also, make sure micronutrients like boron and calcium are at adequate levels.

PR-Giants

• PR-Caribbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 01:51:18 PM »
IDK but when I read it, I thought LEOOEL was simply using their Zone 10b to compare to the Zone 10b of Greece, Crete, Hania.

"Brazilian. The fruit is subacid and of poor quality; it has little to recommend it as a dessert banana, and its acceptance in Hawaii seems to be a good example of the power of need and habit in influencing the demands of a market." - Norman Simmonds

PR-Giants

• PR-Caribbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 01:54:04 PM »
I'd start by looking at blood diseases.

Musa Disease Fact Sheet No.3 - BANANA BLOOD DISEASE

Musa Disease Fact Sheets                                                  
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:32:49 PM by PR-Giants »
"Brazilian. The fruit is subacid and of poor quality; it has little to recommend it as a dessert banana, and its acceptance in Hawaii seems to be a good example of the power of need and habit in influencing the demands of a market." - Norman Simmonds

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 02:29:52 PM »
Ice Cream banana can't someone verify?

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 04:50:28 AM »
The short answer is, I don't know, but here's some speculation...

First off, what variety of banana is it?  If it is a seeded (ornamental) variety, lack of pollination could explain the aborted fruit.

If it is an edible variety, I don't see an obvious cause of the aborting of the fruit.  It appears the rest of the plant is healthy, including the rachis (the stalk the fruit are attached to).  That suggests that there isn't some disease or nutritional problem that is affecting the entire plant and the problem is confined to the fruit.  It is possible that there was some major stress (e.g., lack of water or very hot, dry conditions) at a key point in fruit development.

If it isn't a seeded variety, then just ensuring optimal growth conditions is your best bet: heavily mulch to retain water and deliver some nutrients, fertilize regularly with something high in potassium, water adequately, etc.  Also, make sure micronutrients like boron and calcium are at adequate levels.
I think you pointed it right. The variety is edible (no id) and the whole plant is healthy.
Thanks for the suggestions
Mike

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 07:11:31 AM »
Never seen this problem before, Mike...maybe this variety is not adequate for your climatic situation. I reckon you should try other varieties and see if they will produce healthy bunches.
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

PR-Giants

• PR-Caribbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 02:14:30 PM »
If the whole plant appears healthy and the fruit were green and developing normal and turned to grey and than total black like charcoal, it could be a vascular disease. Symptoms also vary depending on the strain causing the infection and mode of transmission of the pathogen. Soil borne infection via root transmission produces symptoms initially in the plant while infection via insect transmission initially produce symptoms in the fruit. I recommend taking a sample at both ends of the peduncle and also the rachis when the symptoms are first noticed. And also read about Moko, it is the one more common in Zone 10b.

"The bacterial wilt diseases of banana are systemic and so once infected a plant must
be destroyed in order to prevent further spread of the disease. Although some
strains of these bacteria are insect transmissible much can still be done to halt the
spread of the disease by good cultural practices."

...the whole plant is healthy.

The fruts were green during the summer and developing normal. 1 month ago turned to grey and than total black like charcoal

That suggests that there isn't some disease or nutritional problem that is affecting the entire plant and the problem is confined to the fruit. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk