Author Topic: Taralay Mango  (Read 3556 times)

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Taralay Mango
« on: October 07, 2015, 02:51:19 PM »
I know mango season is over (at least here in florida) so this maybe a bit late.
I had a few Taralay mangos from Zills mango in July. I really liked it. Taste very similar to Black/Buxton spice, only better IMO.
Anyone have any info on this variety. Growth habits, production, season, size? Is it even available to the public?
Thanks

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Taralay Mango
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 02:54:17 PM »
Its a Julie seedling.  Moderate vigor.  Mid season.  Not available to the public at this time.
- Rob

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 02:58:07 PM »
Its a Julie seedling.  Moderate vigor.  Mid season.  Not available to the public at this time.

Thanks Rob.
Is there any plans to make this available in the future. Can the tree stay compact like Julie?
Really would like this in my collection.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 04:32:11 PM »

Thanks Rob.
Is there any plans to make this available in the future. Can the tree stay compact like Julie?
Really would like this in my collection.

No, growth habit nothing like Julie.  At this time, no plans whatsoever to propagate.  For some reason, other than odd and inconsistent fruit shape, it does not seem like this one will be released.  Of course, things could change at any time and for any reason (there has been recommendation made to Gary that this should be propagated for release yet he does not seem to want to at this time).
- Rob

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 09:57:03 PM »
Whats the latest on this mango?  Do you guys like it?  Have you eaten more of them and are they being sold? 
Brad Spaugh

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 10:06:40 PM »
Whats the latest on this mango?  Do you guys like it?  Have you eaten more of them and are they being sold?

I have eaten many of them over the years. Flavor is outstanding. Walter Zill and ZHPP both sell the fruit (assuming that is what you meant). Its not a precocious variety. 
- Rob

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 10:22:32 PM »
Rob I was wondering mostly what you thought of the fruit.  And if they are selling trees now.  I somehow ended up with one of these trees, not sure where I got it.  But it is one of the better growers here.  Hasn't set fruit yet but its growing really nice.  And I need to top work some seedlings and want to use this one if you think it tastes good I will probably use it. 
Brad Spaugh

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 10:30:12 PM »
Rob I was wondering mostly what you thought of the fruit.  And if they are selling trees now.  I somehow ended up with one of these trees, not sure where I got it.  But it is one of the better growers here.  Hasn't set fruit yet but its growing really nice.  And I need to top work some seedlings and want to use this one if you think it tastes good I will probably use it.

Ahhh, I was wondering if you meant fruit or trees...yes, ZHPP released the trees.  Its definitely worth growing and from what I have direct knowledge/involvement,  most who have had it like it very much.
- Rob

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 11:30:28 PM »

Ahhh, I was wondering if you meant fruit or trees...yes, ZHPP released the trees.  Its definitely worth growing and from what I have direct knowledge/involvement,  most who have had it like it very much.

Rob, just so you know, whenever you recommend something I usually plant it out soon after. Thank you. Also would you recommend p-22.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2022, 05:07:48 PM »
Well the taralay mango seems to grow super well here but it barely set any fruit and many of them were mis shaped.  Have you guys in FL seen the deformed fruit? 

I'm going to have to top work several taralay trees.  It's one of the strongest growers too but seems like the fruit are a fail here.

Brad Spaugh

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2022, 01:00:53 AM »
Well the taralay mango seems to grow super well here but it barely set any fruit and many of them were mis shaped.  Have you guys in FL seen the deformed fruit? 

I'm going to have to top work several taralay trees.  It's one of the strongest growers too but seems like the fruit are a fail here.

Not that impressed with the fruit. I’ve had good ones but a number of mediocre examples as well that tasted like early season Duncans. We have one producing-size tree in the ground that has failed to fruit multiple years,  though in its defense it is planted in a bad spot.

It’s been out in the wild long enough that you should be hearing some feedback on it from the general public by now. The fact that you aren’t seeing that is probably a red flag, but the jury is still out.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2022, 01:08:12 AM »
I think its a fail.  Good growth, weak fruits and only tree I have that makes mal shaped fruit.  I had a few decent tasting fruits but still not on the sweet tart level and not anywhere close to as productive. 'These things are getting the chainsaw and getting sweet tart grafts in summer.  Its a shame too because the growth on this tree is amazing. 
Brad Spaugh

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2022, 04:14:52 PM »
I have a tree planted, its around 10ft.
I should get fruit next year so if i forget to mention let me know.

I haven't had it in a while but in the world of indochinese flavors, Zinc and Cac have my heart

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2022, 09:48:24 PM »
Great grower, fruit can be multiple different shapes but are generally clean fruit here. Wouldn't put it near the top tier taste wise but they can be pretty good. Always better varieties ripening at the same time.

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2022, 12:28:00 PM »
I think its a fail.  Good growth, weak fruits and only tree I have that makes mal shaped fruit.  I had a few decent tasting fruits but still not on the sweet tart level and not anywhere close to as productive. 'These things are getting the chainsaw and getting sweet tart grafts in summer.  Its a shame too because the growth on this tree is amazing.

I wonder how it would do when seeds are used for rootstock?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2022, 09:07:07 PM »
I have a tree planted, its around 10ft.
I should get fruit next year so if i forget to mention let me know.

I haven't had it in a while but in the world of indochinese flavors, Zinc and Cac have my heart

Those two are great, and a lot better than Taralay