Author Topic: Queensland Researchers develop coconut-flavoured pineapple :O  (Read 8791 times)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Queensland Researchers develop coconut-flavoured pineapple :O
« on: December 05, 2012, 03:30:22 PM »
Hi all,

A fellow member shared this article about the Coconut-flavoured Pineapple 8)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-05/qld-researchers-develop-coconut-flavoured-pineapple/4408732?section=qld

This is freak'n awesome 8) There is mangoes with a coconut flavour, now pineapples :o...what's next? Papaya's  ;D

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Queensland Researchers develop coconut-flavoured pineapple :O
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 03:46:16 PM »
Holding my breath for any teriyaki flavored fruit ;D
Tim

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 04:28:06 PM »
Every couple of years there is a new pineapple,mango etc in the news as being a great leap forward and this one has been doing the rounds for the last week or so.The fruit looks alot like mareeba gold that shook the pineapple industry up a few years ago.
I am waiting for a chocolate or strawberry flavored type myself.I might be zinging around the retirement home on my jetpack by then.

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 04:29:42 PM »
What about  a pineapple that tastes like a pineapple! If I want to taste coconut anything I will get a coconut!!! Lol

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 04:34:05 PM »
Mareeba gold is one of the sweetest/non acid locals with a deeply typical pineapple flavor.The queen rough leafed types are sweet but have a different flavor.The sour old cayennes are getting scarce now but I find you can simulate the taste with mareeba gold and lemon juice.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 05:05:01 PM »
I am truly amazed that the Aussie researches created a Piña colada pineapple and it took a decade to produce this coco-flavoured pineapple but they didn't actually intend to create the coconut flavoured pineapple :o 8)

Another article 8)
Researchers in Australia have created a new "piña colada" pineapple that tastes like a coconut.

The scientists, from a government agency in Queensland, have spent ten years trying to develop a new variety of sweeter, juicier pineapple but did not actually intend to create the coconut flavour.

"It's sweet, low acid, very juicy," said Garth Sanewski, a senior horticulturalist at Queensland's department of agriculture.

"It has this lovely coconut flavour, which you won't find in any other pineapple in Australia."

The new pineapple, called AusFestival, has been dubbed the "piña colada pineapple" and will potentially – as local media noted – preclude people from having to mix fruits in the famous cocktail. It is likely to be commercially available in two years.

"When we are doing the breeding, we are not actually looking for a coconut-flavoured pineapple or any other particular flavour," Dr Sanewski told ABC.

"We are looking for a nice flavoured pineapple. We are looking for a variety that is sweet, low acid and aromatic."

Two years ago, scientists in Queensland, which has a warm climate and produces various tropical fruits, developed Australia's first home-grown pineapple, called the Australian Jubilee. Most Australian pineapples are Hawaiian-bred varieties.

Queensland produces more than 80,000 tons of pineapples a year but the government has been looking to create less costly and tastier varieties to compete with cheaper imports
Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/coconut-flavored-pineapple-created-2012-12#ixzz2EDXoB4pd

Mike, you Aussies sure ain't playing around...I bet this badboy is already patented or in the works ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 05:14:44 PM »
The government will put out tenders for a tissue culture company to produce them large scale for big farms, who will sell them topless to minimise the risk of them getting into the hands of generous backyarders like Mike, so they maximise their market share. I will have to make buddies with the pineapple growers in the fruit club now!  ;D

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 05:41:30 PM »
Top chopping lasts about 2 years and I se there are a couple of new varieties in the supermarkets now and their tops are removed.I scan lots of them and can usually find a side shoot that can be used to grow a new plant.Mareeba gold got out and now the tops are not chopped off any more.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 06:55:39 PM »
Good work, MikeT  ;D
Tim

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 05:55:47 AM »
Funny you guys mentioned the headless pineapples as a way to prevent propagation of these comercial pineapples by us fruit lovers...It's the same with the Azorean pineapple ;) Wait until i learn how to tissue-culture...I'll show them ;D

All been said ;) I hate bald pineapples...it's like a Macaw without a tail :(   
Time is like a river.

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Coconut flavored pineapple
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 11:04:51 AM »
Yummm.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Coconut flavored pineapple
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 11:40:47 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/agriculture/geneticmodification/9723258/Scientists-create-coconut-flavoured-pineapple.html

Not sure why I am always drawn to read the comments section of these news blurbs......but I seem to be interested in what other people think.  Reading the comments in this case leaves me wondering why I care what other people think.  A coconut tasting pineapple sounds good to me.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 10:33:20 AM »
What about  a pineapple that tastes like a pineapple! If I want to taste coconut anything I will get a coconut!!! Lol

HAHAHA. I agree. Same scientists are having a hard time getting a tomato that tastes like a tomato, or a peach that tastes like a peach to consumers. I think they should concentrate on that before they fan out to multi flavored fruits. Everybody wants to go to the moon and beyond, but hardly anybody wants to fix the planet under our nose.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 01:45:06 AM »

I wonder if the coconut pineapple can knock down the mareeba gold from top position in quality in Queensland.In summer mareeba gold pineapples seem to be much larger.This 8.6lb specimen cost me the princely sum of US $2.85 today.

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 05:27:06 AM »

So, does it mean to make a piña colada, we now need a coconut that
 tastes like pineapple?
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 07:49:52 AM »

I wonder if the coconut pineapple can knock down the mareeba gold from top position in quality in Queensland.In summer mareeba gold pineapples seem to be much larger.This 8.6lb specimen cost me the princely sum of US $2.85 today.

An 8+ pounder for $2.85........"princely"? Your royalty must be severely underpaid. I don't buy pineapples often, but that pricing seems quite reasonable to me.  I would even say it would be a bargain.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 09:48:07 PM »
Mareeba gold got out and now the tops are not chopped off any more.

missed my caps lock. Anyway am I the only to taste a distinct unmistakable  hint of coconut in some of the finest of the fine pines i've eaten?

DOWN THIS WAY THE TOPS ARE STILL BEING CUT OFF WHICH SUPPORTS MY HYPOTHESIS THAT THE REASON FOR CUTTING THE TOPS OFF WAS NOT PRIMARILY FOR PREVENTING DISTRIBUTION BUT TO GET RID OF ALL THAT DEAD PACKING SPACE TAKEN UP BY THE TOPS.

START COMPUTING THE SAVINGS BY BEING ABLE TO FIT IN X MORE PINEAPPLES.

also its an expensive way to set up shop compared to buying in tissue cultured plants and relly what kind of threat is posed by home growers.
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 10:00:22 PM »
They are mostly left on here except when new varieties come out.It would make more sense to chop them off for space but I suspect some people prefer to but them with the tops on for decorative purposes.Rough leafed types and minis always seem to have the tops left on.Mareeba gold is grown under licence.

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 02:55:13 AM »
I'm waiting for a pineapple flavored coconut!
Life is good

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 03:14:26 AM »
Bob you might be waiting for a while.I could be waiting for even longer as I'm hanging out for a mangosteen flavored black sapote,durian flavored pears and strawberry flavored cucumbers.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 01:38:33 AM »

Mini rough leaf and mareeba gold contrast in size.

kevin8715

• CA Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2014, 07:39:56 PM »
Bump. It has almost been two years now.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 07:47:31 PM by kevin8715 »
Sunset Zone 21 Hotttttt

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2014, 07:46:03 PM »

I'll take that as a wholesale price!  In Bermuda, organic pineapple will easily cost $9 US.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2014, 09:54:43 PM »
Too bad the Aussie have not develop a pineapple flavor Marijuana or is it the other way around so I can grow it as a cash crop in my front yard to sell to all the Old Hippies & flower children slowly dying off on daily drug fruit cocktail in my Geriatric HOA.  Maybe a Marijuana Mango since they too now come in so many flavors but Mango.  If anyone develop Pine apple or Mango that taste like bacon, I swear I will be a vegetarian! Pm me for a trade or I can Paypal & let me know do you do DHL? ;)
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk