Author Topic: Harmonious cocktail mango tree plan? Recommendations??  (Read 1193 times)

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Harmonious cocktail mango tree plan? Recommendations??
« on: May 17, 2020, 10:18:19 AM »
I gave my seed-started atalufo tree one more season to see if it flowered and it did not, so following the advice of some members, I took 75% of the down to top-work other varieties onto it:

It has some thick, healthy new branches that I'm ready to start grafting. There are 4 old branches, each old branch has about 4 to 8 new branches. I'm thinking about grafting a different mango variety onto each old branch. I have heard with cocktail mango trees one variety usually takes over, and also that placing varieties that ripen at different times can really stress the tree. With that in mind, I want to find varieties of about the same vigor with similar fruiting seasons. I have a spreadsheet that supposedly lists those attributes, but it's become obvious some of the information on there is less than reliable. Does anybody know of a reliable resource for that info?

Also, if anyone that has a bunch of varieties has any recommendations on the 4 varieties they would recommend, I'd welcome it. The atalufo wants to be a monster, so there will be plenty of vigor coming from the tree (which makes me think I should be going for low-vigor varieties). I'm torn between going for well-known, reliable producers or the new varieties on the scene. I'm right next to the gulf, plenty of heat and humidity with no risk of freeze or other inland issues.

Thanks!

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Harmonious cocktail mango tree plan? Recommendations??
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 03:20:39 PM »

Here’s a seedling tree that I top worked and turned into a cocktail tree. I have very vigorous, medium vigorous, and low vigorous varieties on there with some growing faster than others but I just prune back to try and keep them under control.
Varieties on this tree- Sunrise, ShweHinta (raw honey), Kesar, Florigon, Dupuis Saigon, & some of the original seedling in hopes that it fruits sometime soon. I used to have way more varieties on here but I over stressed the tree and lost a bunch from over grafting. My suggestion, add any variety and just trim back anything super vigorous to try and even out the tree size.. no need to limit to specific varieties due to vigor, seems like you’ll miss out on having something you’d want/enjoy due to misinformation
Sergio

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 03:33:48 PM »

This seedling tree has M4, CC, Edgar, Son Pari, and some of the original seedling.

This Phoenix has Mulgoba, CC, & Cac.

You can always add or remove varieties to keep certain varieties around until you decide what you want to do with them or have a more opportune time and place to keep them!!! Hope this helps 😁
Sergio

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 04:38:33 PM »
Perhaps some of Patrick’s combinations will work out for you
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=5196.0

Simon

Juls

• St Petersburg, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 04:11:42 PM »
Hi Jake, I'm curious to find out what happened to your tree. Did it start flowering after it was grafted?

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 11:09:49 AM »
Hi Juls. Funny thing, the 25% original (Atalufo) I left on for one last season flowered & fruited in '21. I harvested the 2 fruit that managed to get through to maturity, but I let them hang too long and they weren't great. I took scions from that fruiting branch and grafted those back in on a less prominent branch on the tree and grafted different varieties to the remaining 25% of the original tree. I went a little crazy and grafted well over a dozen varieties to it over the past two years. This past season most of the tree flowered and I harvested about a dozen fruit of several varieties off of it.

I don't plan to keep so many varieties on it going forward, thinking I might narrow it down to just the Lemon Zest, Orange Sherbet and PPK, but it's been a great learning experience and I can see firsthand the variations in vigor. I have 4 other seedling trees I'm going to graft to next season, I'll try to match vigor and season of the varieties on each tree; thinking I'll limit each tree to 3 or 4 varieties.