Author Topic: Would you plant Rosigold or NDM4 16 feet from neighbor's sewer line?  (Read 1506 times)

Malia

• Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
I am running out of spots for my plants. There is however one spot where there is now a hideous areca palm half-eaten by fire ants.
As per the subject line, it is quite close to the neighbor's sewer line. + 2 more feet to his water pipe. I thought about a dwarf variety. NDM4 or Rosigold? Any other suggestions apart from these 2 and Pickering (already grows in a different spot)? Cocktail trees also welcome. I was discussing pina colada/sugarloaf in another thread but this might not be so small.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Would you plant Rosigold or NDM4 16 feet from neighbor's sewer line?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 02:46:02 PM »
NDM4 or Rosigold? Any other suggestions apart from these 2 and Pickering (already grows in a different spot)?

Imam Pasand will be a small tree and gives excellent taste fruits.

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 07:19:54 PM »
Roseigold is early but not that good of a fruit.
Mike

Malia

• Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 10:23:40 PM »
Thank you sapote and Mike for your excellent tips.
I understand you have no objections regarding the proximity of neighbor's sewer line?

Re Rosigold: yes, I am aware it is quite mediocre, but very early.
Re Imam Pasand, I am very intrigued. From my preliminary research, I want it! My research says it's 10-15 feet tall, so ok with me. The only issue is the fruiting season June July. Mid-season and I am looking rather for early or late varieties.
Excalibur lists Imam Pasand. Mike, do you have it in your nursery? Shorter drive than Excalibur :)

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 05:49:56 AM »
No I don't have Imam Pasand
Mike

DG791

• Naples, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 08:02:08 AM »
Just got a nice 3G  Imam Passand from Tropical Acres. They have it listed in stock.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 10:39:06 AM »
I like a good Rosigold a lot better than one-dimensional, boring Nam Doc Mai with its complete lack of sub-acidity or complexity. Nam Doc Mai makes me want to take a nap.

The earliest Rosigolds (talking about the ones that ripen in mid-March), fruit from really young Rosigold trees, and/or overwatered trees can be mediocre. But good examples of the fruit are a lovely classical-flavor group fruit with lots of stone fruit notes. Some of the April Rosis we’ve had have hit the low 20s in Brix. Really nice sweetness.

And as far as which is the smaller tree, Rosigold wins that contest against Nam Doc Mai as well. Also, while NDM has better anthracnose resistance, it is a magnet for powdery mildew.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 10:47:58 AM by Squam256 »

Malia

• Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 12:21:26 PM »
Haha, this is what happens when you ask for a recommendation on tropicalfruitforum. I love this place.
I am not ruling out NDM4 completely at the moment, because according to tropicalacresfarms it is dwarfish and my kids like it as the only mango variety. They might not be kids anymore when the tree starts fruiting though... ;) Also, anything mold/fungus has not been a concern so far. I think I am lucky with the microclimate here.
But I think Rosigold will be a winner. Imam Prasand will probably take another spot on my lot though.

Thanks everyone for all advice!

Edit: I didn't notice I am responding to Alex lol. So, Alex, do you think NDM4 can be comparable size to Rosigold?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 12:26:15 PM by Malia »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 12:49:38 PM »
Plastic sewer lines are a non issue.  Its the old cast iron ones from the 60s that rot out and leak then root get into. 
Brad Spaugh

Malia

• Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 01:01:18 PM »
Ha! That's the question! I do not know if they are cast iron or PCV. Houses from the 60s, but my sewers are plastic now, originally cast iron. I should ask the neighbor in case he knows...

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 12:55:16 PM »
My now plastic lines were originally terra cotta.
For me... it's not so much the human waste... as the chemicals that are frequently poured/flushed down the line.

Kevin

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2022, 03:42:05 PM »
Rosigold is a good mango, wish had one now.

As far as planting near sewage line, 16 feet seems within reason. Agree, can't be sure what people are flushing and pouring down the drain, but if its not toxicifying your mangoes, mango tree is better than grass, weeds, and most other plants.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2022, 05:46:38 PM »
Unless the sewer line is broken, its not going to be leaking any chemicals.  And same for letting roots in, unless its broken roots arent going in it. 
Brad Spaugh

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2022, 02:04:10 PM »
Access to high Nitrogen in seepage from the drainfield probably will be beneficial to the Nam Doc Mai, and probably to many other southeast-asian
varieties.

Most India-type varieties are likely to do poorly in that much Nitrogen..
Har

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2022, 04:14:12 PM »
Access to high Nitrogen in seepage from the drainfield probably will be beneficial to the Nam Doc Mai, and probably to many other southeast-asian
varieties.

Most India-type varieties are likely to do poorly in that much Nitrogen..

I had not considered nitrogen requirements varying with India-type vs. Southeast-asian.

Do you routinely recommend higher nitrogen levels to growers of Southeast-asian mangos and if so do these trees seem to bloom/fruit without an excess of vegetative growth?

As an example::: If you had a row of 10 trees and soil had the same percent nitrogen in it before supplementing. Half the trees were Indian and grew & fruited well when receiving 4 cups of nitrogen mixed fertlizer .... If the other half were Southeast-Asian would you probably give them 6-8 cups of nitrogen fertilizer mix around the roots?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 04:33:16 PM by palmcity »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2022, 08:31:29 PM »
In Northern Territories, Australia, Nam Doc Mai has been shown to need more Nitrogen than Keitt, and than several other varieties grown there.

Most varieties have not been tested out that way.  Labs in the USA usually have been lumping all mango varieties together, and then often interpreting the results per the needs of Citrus!  They also usually skip testing several trace nutrients.

So when we wish for answers based on science, we often are not there yet.

Since testing a great many of our favorite varieties in sufficient detail will take a while, in part to spread out the cost, we can start with suppositional groupings.  So I simply extrapolated from NDM results to other SE-Asian tropical, dark green, very leafy varieties.  The Australian authors had kind-of suggested that.

Your suggested protocol for fertilizing to different rows of trees sounds like a good, experimental start.

Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk