Author Topic: Black Sapote as rootstock for?  (Read 683 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Black Sapote as rootstock for?
« on: January 15, 2022, 05:29:05 PM »
What’s up guys. I see American Persimmon and black Sapote are graft compatible.  I have a black Sapote to topwork and wonder if anyone knows what else can be paired with

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: Black Sapote as rootstock for?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 08:51:31 AM »
I know the nurseries down here graft Asian persimmon onto the American ones. It would be need if Asian ones could work on black sapote as well.
If you want to give it a shot i can send you some budwood of "soflo" persimmon to try

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 08:54:04 AM »
And if you have a little time, perhaps graft American Persimmon as interstock and something compatible on to the American Persimmon.

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 09:52:07 AM »
A friend of mine successfully grafted black sapote on a native persimmon this past summer.  Native persimmons routinely pop up along the banks of a small pond on his property, of which he typically grafts superior Asian persimmon cultivars.  Also, his property experiences seasonal flooding which doesn't appear to affect any of the trees.  I'll find out if the seasonal flooding ever causes fruit drop, since harvest sometimes coincides with fruit ripening/harvest.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 05:50:59 PM »
A friend of mine successfully grafted black sapote on a native persimmon this past summer.  Native persimmons routinely pop up along the banks of a small pond on his property, of which he typically grafts superior Asian persimmon cultivars.  Also, his property experiences seasonal flooding which doesn't appear to affect any of the trees.  I'll find out if the seasonal flooding ever causes fruit drop, since harvest sometimes coincides with fruit ripening/harvest.
Really? I thought they were graft incompatible. I have Asian, American, Texas, and black sapote. Sring might be the time for me to make a Frankenstein multi-graft experiment. What about ylang-ylang. Is it also graft compatible?
OOps. Ylang Ylang is in the pawpaw/custard apple family.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 06:11:22 PM by CarolinaZone »

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 11:07:41 AM »
Thanks guys. Now to find a fruiting persimmon. (I’m not in the US but thanks for budwood offer!)