Author Topic: Southern Spain - where are the subtropical fruit collections?  (Read 1122 times)

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
    • Youtube: all the fruit
Hi,
travelling to southern Spain (mainly Seville, Malaga, Costa del Sol, Costa Tropical), maybe elsewhere in order to find rare fruits, fruit trees and fruit parks for my youtube chanel "all the fruit" with already over two thousand fruit videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrKEeyhQxkfeXy-HN1R8wCA

Where can i find exotic, subtropical or rare fruits? Where are good botanic gardens, private collections, government farms or good public parks? Any super rare fruits to look for? Are any members based in S Spain? I would love to meet them and see their orchards. Any help is apreciated

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Re: Southern Spain - where are the subtropical fruit collections?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 07:03:25 PM »
I must say you have quite the channel.  Thank you.  I’m heading to Malaga area so will PM you to compare notes.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 10:33:25 AM »
I must say you have quite the channel.  Thank you.  I’m heading to Malaga area so will PM you to compare notes.

I was there 3 months ago. Unless you are invited to someone's garden, I don't think you will find anything else outside Malaga central market. That's where all exotics are. They even had salak and mangosteen for 20 EUR/kilo. ( imported  of course ). Top tier fresh figs and cherimoyas are your best hope right now.  In general I think Southern Spain is noticeably cooler overall than Southern California even though their climates classified as the same. 

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 10:33:35 AM »
Enjoy the “Malaga” Mango’s .  100 points if you can find a grower that will sell you a known cultivar of Mango or Cherimoya.
I went to Malaga and Almunecar in season hoping to catch the Cherimoya festival . We stayed next to a 20+ acre Cherimoya orchard right in Almunecar and it was like asking people about the mafia or human smuggling off the coast.
No one would talk about it and gave us dirty looks like we were crazy for asking. T’was weird indeed.
There must be someone doing it up right in those nice growing conditions though.
Looking forward to see’ing what y’alls can rustle up.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 11:00:40 AM »

I was there 3 months ago. Unless you are invited to someone's garden, I don't think you will find anything else outside Malaga central market. That's where all exotics are. They even had salak and mangosteen for 20 EUR/kilo. ( imported  of course ). Top tier fresh figs and cherimoyas are your best hope right now.  In general I think Southern Spain is noticeably cooler overall than Southern California even though their climates classified as the same.

Thanks DL. You were just passing through?  Reading online says there’s 10,000 acres of mango across southern Spain. It seems mainly osteen with Kent, Keitt also and predominantly for export from what I read. Temperatures do look low at night for much of the year (high 40s) from what I’m reading. Highs below 90F and fairly low rainfall(which promises would to trigger flowering, perhaps too young like Cali). But no freezing as far asI can see.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 11:02:11 AM »
Enjoy the “Malaga” Mango’s .  100 points if you can find a grower that will sell you a known cultivar of Mango or Cherimoya.
I went to Malaga and Almunecar in season hoping to catch the Cherimoya festival . We stayed next to a 20+ acre Cherimoya orchard right in Almunecar and it was like asking people about the mafia or human smuggling off the coast.
No one would talk about it and gave us dirty looks like we were crazy for asking. T’was weird indeed.
There must be someone doing it up right in those nice growing conditions though.
Looking forward to see’ing what y’alls can rustle up.

B2B, thank you. Odd. Is it that there’s more money for exports?

https://almunecarinfo.com/torrecuevas-fiestas-de-la-chirimoya-almunecar/
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 11:06:26 AM by Future »

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 11:27:51 AM »

Thanks DL. You were just passing through?  Reading online says there’s 10,000 acres of mango across southern Spain. It seems mainly osteen with Kent, Keitt also and predominantly for export from what I read. Temperatures do look low at night for much of the year (high 40s) from what I’m reading. Highs below 90F and fairly low rainfall(which promises would to trigger flowering, perhaps too young like Cali). But no freezing as far asI can see.

It's the same climate as SoCal, just slightly cooler overall for most of the year, except perhaps summer. No freezing of course. Perfect cherimoya climate. But early May, ( just one month before summer ) in low elevation mountains was very cold mornings. Drove quite a bit around, did not see any single mango tree anywhere. I was just in wrong areas I guess.  However, enjoy endless olive tree scenery, lol ...

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 12:21:52 PM »
With Three pages of available varieties...this looks promising in

https://tiendadefruta.com/en/2-shop-tropical-fruit?page=1

Benoit30

• France (Nîmes) zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Acclimatons
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 03:17:18 PM »
Hi folks!
You can visit La Conception botanical garden. They introduce new fruit tree when I was there 6 years ago. Curious if the jackfruit, litchi, longan, banana Cavendish, sapote mamey are still there? Please let me know!
https://acclimatons.com/le-jardin-botanique-de-malaga-la-concepcion/
There are also a fruit festival this year at Rufino (he is passionate by tropical fruit, you should go and visit his land).
https://fruitstock.eu/fruitstock-festival/?fbclid=IwAR1tVimp6DV3B5Cqjco0gCF5OLNLoB9qLPnXlisCJzjU1IV2nkBtsTzge0w&prenom=Aude&email=teyssota%40yahoo.fr&ev=242774

There are many interesting producer of mango between Motril / Nerja/ Velez Malaga, as well as nurseries.
By the way, anyone know if frutales tropicales nursery still exist (they used to have rare tropical fruit)?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 12:47:39 AM by Benoit30 »
Acclimating white sapote, avocado, mango, cherimoya in marginal zone 9 climate. https://acclimatons.com/

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 06:24:51 PM »
Hi folks!
You can visit La Conception botanical garden. They introduce new fruit tree when I was there 6 years ago. Curious if the jackfruit, litchi, longan, banana Cavendish, sapote mamey are still there? Please let me know!
https://acclimatons.com/le-jardin-botanique-de-malaga-la-concepcion/
There are also a fruit festival this year at Rufino (he is passionate by tropical fruit, you should go and visit his land).
https://fruitstock.eu/fruitstock-festival/?fbclid=IwAR1tVimp6DV3B5Cqjco0gCF5OLNLoB9qLPnXlisCJzjU1IV2nkBtsTzge0w&prenom=Aude&email=teyssota%40yahoo.fr&ev=242774

There are many interesting producer of mango between Motril / Nerja/ Velez Malaga, as well as nurseries.
By the way, anyone know if frutales tropicales nursery still exist (they used to have rare tropical fruit)?

Thanks Benoit. Good resources.