Author Topic: cook with taro?  (Read 3528 times)

Nicola

• Katoomba
    • View Profile
    • Mountainherbs
cook with taro?
« on: March 05, 2022, 07:20:04 PM »
We planted a lot of different taro and we don't know when to harvest and how to cook them.
I guess we cut up the crown and replant them - actually do they ever set seeds?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: cook with taro?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 09:27:23 PM »
A lot of what you are asking about is variety dependant (how long to cook, when to harvest and how to re-plant). Taro can take between 8 months and 2 years to mature for harvest based on variety and growing conditions. Some varieties you eat the main corm (big taro) and others you eat the little side cormels (little taro). Some produce lots of cormels and Keiki (offsets) and others very few. Usually the main crown starts to die back when the plant is ready to harvest.

Small cormels and Keiki are easy ways to propagate taro. You can also cut the top inch off the root (with the stems and leaves attached) and re-plant that after removing the leaves and trimming to 10"-12" total height. This planting piece is called "Huli" in Hawaii and is the prefered way of propagating there. They rarely set seed and because it is not true to type seed grown plants are only used in breeding.

Cook them any way you would cook a potato--just MAKE SURE TO COOK THEM! I steam or boil my cormels for 15 minutes but this changes with the variety. If you don't feel prickly needles in you mouth it got cooked long enough. Unlike Cassava and yam, there is no toxin, but the calcium oxilate crystals can cause mechanical damage that is very painful if they are not heated enough. I hope that helps.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 10:28:33 PM »
my wife's family is Indian and they cook this often.  They take the skin off, slice it into ~1/8" slices, apply spices, and pan fry.  They taste pretty much like potatoes to me.

I was warned not too eat too much or too often because they have high oxalic acid content and can cause health problems as a result

Because they are so close to potatoes in taste, and potatoes are cheaper, easier to peel, no oxalic acid... I don't really understand why anyone would bother with taro.  But I would certianly eat it if offered

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 12:55:11 AM »
Sautéed with bacon!  I interchange between taro and Brussels sprouts.

Another is with pork belly,  https://thewoksoflife.com/steamed-pork-belly-with-taro/

Thanks for the tip about  oxalic acid... besides the fat, another reason to eat in moderation.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2022, 09:33:00 PM »
Taro does have oxalates, but they are reduced by cooking (especially boiling). I have no concerns about eating it in quantity, taro makes up 30% or more of the caloric intake in some cultural diets. Potatoes are in the nightshade family and have solanine. It is especially high in green potatoes, but it is found in all potatoes. Cooking reduces it as well.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2022, 10:56:07 PM »
In tropical areas where taro grows easily and potatoes maybe not so much, I totally agree taro would be better.  Paying 5x the cost for taro in the US is a bit silly to me given how similar they are.  But having options is something I really shouldn't complain about, I'm glad there is a market for it

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 11:21:04 PM »
You are right on with your cost analysis. When I am buying, I buy potatoes. I have grown potatoes, but mostly I grow taro. It loves the Florida heat/humidity and does not mind that my yard is flooded frequently durring the summer.

Adam8aTexas

• LMK if you have myrtaceae available
    • McKinney, Texas Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 03:30:30 PM »
Here's a pretty simple taro pudding recipe, I think it's pretty good. https://www.cambodiarecipe.com/recipe/taro-root-pudding/
Plant nerd in his teens that enjoys finding new species to add to their collection

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2022, 09:26:59 PM »
Taro is more filling than potatoes, as a vegetarian it is a very satisfying meal roasted with oil.
Quite a few people used to grow the Colocasi or Cypriot Taro around here, small offset tuber type, but haven't seen it for years in this grape and citrus area.
Old people have passed.
Also we have quite a few Pacific Islanders here now, so big tubers are available in shops.
When I was in Cairns, used to buy the PNG types from ladies at the market, Purple leaved black Taro's were nice to eat.
Also there are specific leaf types, with more edible leaves.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2022, 09:55:06 PM »
Taro is more filling than potatoes, as a vegetarian it is a very satisfying meal roasted with oil.
Quite a few people used to grow the Colocasi or Cypriot Taro around here, small offset tuber type, but haven't seen it for years in this grape and citrus area.
Old people have passed.
Also we have quite a few Pacific Islanders here now, so big tubers are available in shops.
When I was in Cairns, used to buy the PNG types from ladies at the market, Purple leaved black Taro's were nice to eat.
Also there are specific leaf types, with more edible leaves.

Is there any variety in particular that you recommend for leaves?

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2022, 10:15:31 PM »
I think one was called Celery Taro for the leaf stalks.
 https://byronseedshare.org/perennials-foods/celery-leaf-taro/
https://greenharvest.com.au/Plants/Information/TahitianSpinach.html
There would probably be others from other Islands.
ps I am in Australia, but the might be in Hawaii too ??
best of luck.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 10:19:18 PM by pagnr »

olegmayami

• Alegiers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2022, 01:23:53 PM »
Sautéed with bacon!  I interchange between taro and Brussels sprouts.

Korannia

• US
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2024, 08:40:30 AM »
Taro is typically ready for harvest when the leaves start to yellow and die back. This is an indication that the plant has stored enough energy in the corm (the underground part of the plant) for consumption.  To propagate taro, you can cut the corm into sections, making sure each section has at least one bud or ""eye."" These buds will develop into new plants. Taro is typically propagated through corm division rather than seeds. While taro plants do produce flowers, they are not commonly grown from seeds. The primary method of propagation is through corms. Taro can be prepared in various ways, and its taste is often described as nutty and slightly sweet. Common cooking methods include boiling, steaming, or frying. Also, be aware that some varieties of taro contain calcium oxalate crystals, which can cause irritation and should be neutralized by cooking. Never consume taro raw.
Speaking of cooking, one popular method to prepare delightful dishes is by using an Instant Pot. For example, you can make delicious Instant Pot chicken wings with taro as a side dish. The Instant Pot's pressure cooking feature ensures a quick and efficient cooking process, resulting in flavorful and tender chicken wings.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 09:28:50 AM by Korannia »