Author Topic: Growing açaí commercially  (Read 673 times)

Thewitchisback

• Caribbean
    • View Profile
Growing açaí commercially
« on: September 06, 2022, 11:35:27 PM »
Hello everyone
I live in one of the few countries in the world where açaí grows naturally.
However unlike Brazil it is widespread( pretty much whole country) but considered a  scattered tree( not in high concentrations… possibly just 10-15% of trees in any given area.

I’m wondering the viability of planting some dwarf açaí ( it grows well anywhere here but is used mainly for ornamental purposes) and starting a commercial farm. But then I wonder why hasn’t Vietnam or Thailand already done this for açaí? What am I missing? Is it that hard to grow commercially in other non native tropical regions?
 From my research there’s a big supply demand gap. Which seems like it will continue to persist. Imo açaí is past the fad stage.

Any thoughts?

Thewitchisback

• Caribbean
    • View Profile
Re: Growing açaí commercially
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 11:39:05 PM »
Just to clarify when I say grows naturally here I mean it is a native plant to my country. Brazil might be the face of açaí but it is native to a handful of other countries.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 09:13:49 AM »
There are issues with açaí.
It’s not hard to grow but the harvest is complicated and the processing is not so straight forward either. Are you sure that there is good demand?  A friend of mine has 2000 trees and I don’t see that he is doing so terrific. He makes a syrup and has a frozen pulp. The frozen pulp is pretty watery.
I have açaí growing but the toucans get most of it.
Why do you say ‘my country’ instead of saying the name of the country?
Peter

Thewitchisback

• Caribbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2022, 10:51:07 AM »
Thank you for your input. I live in Trinidad. It’s an island in the southern Caribbean. And not one of the more popular islands so I didn’t give more details. We are actually a broken off piece of  what is today Venezuela… hence all the South American flora and fauna.
I thought there was a good export demand to the US based on my research both for the pulp and cosmetic/industrial applications for the powder….but maybe I’m wrong…has your friend been trying to get into the export market or is he growing for local demand. There is very little local demand here.
On the pulping/production front I didn’t think it was harder than any other fruit..apart from the first step of getting the flesh off given the high seed to pulp ratio. But maybe I’m wrong on that front too.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 04:04:56 PM »
Hi
My friend sells some locally , but I think he relies on a Swiss buyer. The processing needs specialized equipment but that might not be such a big deal. I think these guys went to Brazil and brought basic machines from there.
Without local demand you would certainly need to have a good understanding of your market.
Since açaí is a suckering palm it will provide a continuous supply of heart of palm which should be locally commercial.
Peter

Thewitchisback

• Caribbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2022, 08:22:58 PM »
Thank you for your insight. It’s encouraging that your friend was able to get a buyer for such a relatively small supply.

Thewitchisback

• Caribbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2022, 08:20:58 AM »
Hi
My friend sells some locally , but I think he relies on a Swiss buyer. The processing needs specialized equipment but that might not be such a big deal. I think these guys went to Brazil and brought basic machines from there.
Without local demand you would certainly need to have a good understanding of your market.
Since açaí is a suckering palm it will provide a continuous supply of heart of palm which should be locally commercial.
Peter

Hi…by chance do you know if your friend grows dwarf açaí? I’m trying to find out if the dwarf (BRS Para)is a GMO.
Which would mean it cannot get organic certification in the US.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2022, 08:38:55 AM »

Hi…by chance do you know if your friend grows dwarf açaí? I’m trying to find out if the dwarf (BRS Para)is a GMO.
This paper is describing ordinary selective breeding of that variety,no genetic modification. Mainly they were looking for a shorter early bearing and dryland irrigation adapted selection.
https://ainfo.cnptia.embrapa.br/digital/bitstream/item/18825/1/com.tec.114.pdf

Thewitchisback

• Caribbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2022, 11:40:14 AM »

This paper is describing ordinary selective breeding of that variety,no genetic modification. Mainly they were looking for a shorter early bearing and dryland irrigation adapted selection.
https://ainfo.cnptia.embrapa.br/digital/bitstream/item/18825/1/com.tec.114.pdf

Great find. Thanks for this!