Author Topic: WTB Variegated Jaboticaba Scions  (Read 721 times)

Aiptasia904

• Orange Park
    • View Profile
WTB Variegated Jaboticaba Scions
« on: January 17, 2023, 12:29:03 PM »
I know I'm going out on a limb.... see what I did there?  8)

But, I'm looking for some variegated Jaboticaba pruning that I can use as scions to graft onto Red Hybrid stalks. They say that begging is good for the soul, so if anybody has a variegated Jaboticaba with some crossing or spare sucker branches that need pruning off and wants to sell me a few then hit me up! I'd also be interested in scions from other unusual varieties for grafting.

I'm poor as dirt due to health problems and this is one of the few ways I can think of to be able to afford my Jaboticaba obsession is by grafting scions. I can't afford the max bid amounts of a typical ebay auction for one or the import fees/phytosanitary certificates to buy from out of the country.  Anything over $50 is just out of my budget. But, maybe somebody somewhere out there would send me a cutting or two for scion grafting. One can hope anyway.

Cheers,

-John

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: WTB Variegated Jaboticaba Scions
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 01:59:54 PM »
With variegated examples selling for $400-$800 you'll be hard pressed to find someone selling scions, but I hope someone is nice enough to sell at a fair price. Just buy a plant or two from jason, graft up some seedlings, make your money back handily.

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 04:50:22 PM »
idk if i would use Red as a root stock.  Do you have sabara instead?  I thought there was discussion of having some issues as being a rootstock aside from its crazy growth habit. I could be off on my recollection.

Aiptasia904

• Orange Park
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 06:24:22 AM »
idk if i would use Red as a root stock.  Do you have sabara instead?  I thought there was discussion of having some issues as being a rootstock aside from its crazy growth habit. I could be off on my recollection.

I do have Sabara. I just have far more red. Good tip though.

Aiptasia904

• Orange Park
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 06:26:46 AM »
With variegated examples selling for $400-$800 you'll be hard pressed to find someone selling scions, but I hope someone is nice enough to sell at a fair price. Just buy a plant or two from jason, graft up some seedlings, make your money back handily.

IKR?! The auctions are going for crazy amounts and I can't afford it. Overseas always makes me nervous because of the way plants regularly get seized in customs. I've lost a few that way and would've gotten burnt by the sellers if not for buyer's protection programs on etsy. Plus, it's the wrong time of year to be shipping across the planet in the Northern hemisphere.

I'm hoping some kind soul that has one would be willing to sell me just one branch cutting. Just one shipped in a USPS small box at a sane price. Say $30 for the branch and $15.00 for the shipping and hassle.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 06:40:08 AM by Aiptasia904 »

SaltwaterTx

• Gulf Coast Tx 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 07:39:28 AM »
These are some of the most rare specimens in the world, and very slow growers. The only people that have them took the risk from overseas or paid a high premium in a trade or auction, and most people’s specimens are probably very small. It’s going to be difficult to find someone willing to hack up half their tiny tree they probably paid a fortune for. Maybe you can start some hard to source seeds and trade your way up? Lots of great seed sellers on here. Many can be purchased for $5-10 shipped and grown into $100+ trees within a year. Good luck with it.

Aiptasia904

• Orange Park
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 12:36:09 PM »
These are some of the most rare specimens in the world, and very slow growers. The only people that have them took the risk from overseas or paid a high premium in a trade or auction, and most people’s specimens are probably very small. It’s going to be difficult to find someone willing to hack up half their tiny tree they probably paid a fortune for. Maybe you can start some hard to source seeds and trade your way up? Lots of great seed sellers on here. Many can be purchased for $5-10 shipped and grown into $100+ trees within a year. Good luck with it.

Yep. I knew the odds were long when I posted the request. I suppose I'll just have to save my pennies for a few years.