Author Topic: California super hardy fruiting sugar apple and african pride  (Read 59463 times)

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
Re: California super hardy fruiting sugar apple and african pride
« Reply #150 on: December 01, 2014, 11:51:57 PM »
Pics of some of cangrejos sugar Apple. I've heard a breeder claim he has sugar apples growing in Georgia but never showed any prove

Here is a true cold hardy sugar Apple grown in Santa Ana CA at latitude 32* tree still loaded

I dont care about latitude! Can this variety survive 28 degree for a week? That mean there is no dieback? If so I will be interest in some seeds!😀
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 02, 2014, 08:56:56 PM »
28F for one whole week sounds impossible to me for any mature Sugar Apple tree, Coconut. Anywhere between 35F and 40F for 1-2 days is already a stretch.
Thera

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 05, 2014, 01:58:06 PM »
Pics of some of cangrejos sugar Apple. I've heard a breeder claim he has sugar apples growing in Georgia but never showed any prove

Here is a true cold hardy sugar Apple grown in Santa Ana CA at latitude 32* tree still loaded

I dont care about latitude! Can this variety survive 28 degree for a week? That mean there is no dieback? If so I will be interest in some seeds!😀

We've never seen 28F Cangrejo's SA can withstand lows below 50 highs sbove 100 with 5% humidity in the winter and will not defoliate.....this SA is the total package and it's been field tested for over 20 years.
We would love to see pix of those SA that survive 28F for a week

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 06, 2014, 01:57:58 AM »

We've never seen 28F Cangrejo's SA can withstand lows below 50 highs sbove 100 with 5% humidity in the winter and will not defoliate.....this SA is the total package and it's been field tested for over 20 years.

When people tell me it is cold hardy, to me it mean that it can survive in 32 degree for a week for establish tree with 8 inches diameter, with no dieback and of course it loose it leaves when its cold; which mean know dieback in my experiences; if leaves dont fall off shit you will loose a tree.  I have five Boca chewy Z23OA Selection thriving in North Orlando on south side of my uncle house and planted in 2001. We always top work ten feet off before winter arrival in North Orlando, making sure it level with his 20 feet roof north of Semoran.  Of the 1,000 seedlings we plant on a two years rotation among the Vietnamese community for last two decades, they keep selecting better and more cold resistant.  Calling something super cold hardy confuse its merit when it is not that cold resistant by temperature rather than latitude metric.  I had a guy growing my SA seedlings in Texas & Some part of the Crimea outside.

Why in the heck you guys out there in CA not selecting more cold resistant selections from this cold resistant SA better for your area than keep passing the scions of what is already known and achieved.  I was lucky here in Florida Three decades ago to run into large fruit Vietnamese Chewy that adapted to the brackish water of the calahoosa river bank by the lehigh acres in cape coral, took it and develop the Boca Chewy & The Orlando Chewy today and keep improving upon it.  There is a Tawainese  Professor from Taitung, an Annona Breeder in Jacksonville , Fla that have developed quite a cold strain of Green Jade SA tm.   The fruit is grayish green a selection develop from the famous green diamond.  His trees are dwarf size 10-15 feet, I think another five years and you will see his fruit in the northern part of Taiwan by the thousand hectares!

The Big Eyes Sugar apple trees in field trial from Boca to Jacksonville-Tampa has so far done poorly for the Taiwanese Community here. My 200 trees have done poorly in sandy loam, canal muck, as soon as they bulldoze the five intercoastal properties in we bought in Boca, Jan 2015; I will get a chance to trial them on the sea canals.  I have some trees planted behind FLorida Atlantic University Research Center and they so far a crying shame.  Big Eyes might done so well in Taiwan develop for those environment but so far all it has done for this Sith Breeder is two Blackeyes of disappointment; maybe I order another 1,000 seeds and trial the 2016 class and stop wearing glasses?😣

One thing I have learn from selecting the Boca Chewy & Orlando line over the years,  Commercial fruit production are heaviest & of Japanese Export quality tend to be best in the humid dry Boca area of the state rather than central Florida or southern super humid wet & flood zone like Miami Area.  I like to see the CA breeder select a better higher cold resistant cangrejos SA For California dry environment that is self fruitful; by the way what is the eating quality chewy or mushy of your West Coast SA?😊
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 10, 2014, 08:45:41 PM »

When people tell me it is cold hardy, to me it mean that it can survive in 32 degree for a week for establish tree with 8 inches diameter, with no dieback and of course it loose it leaves when its cold; which mean know dieback in my experiences; if leaves dont fall off shit you will loose a tree.  I have five Boca chewy Z23OA Selection thriving in North Orlando on south side of my uncle house and planted in 2001. We always top work ten feet off before winter arrival in North Orlando, making sure it level with his 20 feet roof north of Semoran.  Of the 1,000 seedlings we plant on a two years rotation among the Vietnamese community for last two decades, they keep selecting better and more cold resistant.  Calling something super cold hardy confuse its merit when it is not that cold resistant by temperature rather than latitude metric.  I had a guy growing my SA seedlings in Texas & Some part of the Crimea outside.

Why in the heck you guys out there in CA not selecting more cold resistant selections from this cold resistant SA better for your area than keep passing the scions of what is already known and achieved.  I was lucky here in Florida Three decades ago to run into large fruit Vietnamese Chewy that adapted to the brackish water of the calahoosa river bank by the lehigh acres in cape coral, took it and develop the Boca Chewy & The Orlando Chewy today and keep improving upon it.  There is a Tawainese  Professor from Taitung, an Annona Breeder in Jacksonville , Fla that have developed quite a cold strain of Green Jade SA tm.   The fruit is grayish green a selection develop from the famous green diamond.  His trees are dwarf size 10-15 feet, I think another five years and you will see his fruit in the northern part of Taiwan by the thousand hectares!

The Big Eyes Sugar apple trees in field trial from Boca to Jacksonville-Tampa has so far done poorly for the Taiwanese Community here. My 200 trees have done poorly in sandy loam, canal muck, as soon as they bulldoze the five intercoastal properties in we bought in Boca, Jan 2015; I will get a chance to trial them on the sea canals.  I have some trees planted behind FLorida Atlantic University Research Center and they so far a crying shame.  Big Eyes might done so well in Taiwan develop for those environment but so far all it has done for this Sith Breeder is two Blackeyes of disappointment; maybe I order another 1,000 seeds and trial the 2016 class and stop wearing glasses?😣

One thing I have learn from selecting the Boca Chewy & Orlando line over the years,  Commercial fruit production are heaviest & of Japanese Export quality tend to be best in the humid dry Boca area of the state rather than central Florida or southern super humid wet & flood zone like Miami Area.  I like to see the CA breeder select a better higher cold resistant cangrejos SA For California dry environment that is self fruitful; by the way what is the eating quality chewy or mushy of your West Coast SA?😊

Doesn't matter, we have cherimoyas that wipe the floor against any annonas for that matter any fruit. Here is a Cangrejos next to a baseball size Behl, only in Socal

miracle

• Los Angeles, California, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 13, 2015, 10:16:04 AM »
I am late in the game. Are there any hardy sugar apple scions that you can share with me? I plan to graft in my cherimoya root stocks?
I did attempt to grow  a sugar apple tree from Mimosa Nursery in the past, but my tree is died due to frost. 
Now reading this forum, The sugar apple tree has fruits  around my areas (LA & OC county). I think I will attempt to grow them again.
Thank you
Simple life is the best...cause life is too short.
Let it be....

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 13, 2015, 10:49:19 AM »
I am late in the game. Are there any hardy sugar apple scions that you can share with me? I plan to graft in my cherimoya root stocks?
I did attempt to grow  a sugar apple tree from Mimosa Nursery in the past, but my tree is died due to frost. 
Now reading this forum, The sugar apple tree has fruits  around my areas (LA & OC county). I think I will attempt to grow them again.
Thank you
Cangrejo trees will be available in the second round March 31
Only a few

miracle

• Los Angeles, California, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 13, 2015, 11:11:35 AM »
Hi JF,
Where do I get them? Thanks.
Simple life is the best...cause life is too short.
Let it be....

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 05, 2015, 08:13:26 PM »
Super African Pride for Easter. 91 and counting a few left.......this atemoya is super prolific

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
« Reply #159 on: April 06, 2015, 09:40:16 AM »
nice fruit JF! wow, I'll use that picture as my "goal".. it's going to take a while, but hope to get that many in a few years too..  ;D

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2015, 10:00:11 PM »
still enjoying super African pride probably into May. I found a 3 pounder in the bottom of my tree

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 26, 2015, 08:31:38 AM »
Hi gang,

Can someone please ID this annona, i received the material as Cangrejo Anón.

Many thanks.

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 26, 2015, 09:33:19 AM »
Oi como vai vc?
The leaves look like an anon the fruit doesn't. Look at the pix above of cangrejo's anon for reference it could be calostro or cangrejo's African pride either way it will be a great fruit
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 07:51:24 PM by JF »

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2015, 05:42:39 PM »
Oi como va be?
The leaves look like an anon the fruit doesn't. Look at the pix above of cangrejo's anon for reference it could be calostro or cangrejo's African pride either way it will be a great fruit

Olá Jf, tá tudo bem, e contigo?

Thanks for the id.
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 27, 2015, 07:58:22 PM »
Oi como va be?

Thanks for the id.
Tudo bem amigo
They look like calostro you are in for a treat

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 13, 2015, 11:37:50 AM »
Cangrejo's crop is light this year must be all those 100 degree days in fall....they are sizing up looks like no sugar apple for January anonna tasting

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 14, 2015, 03:51:59 PM »
Oi como va be?

Thanks for the id.
Tudo bem amigo

They look great...looking forward to taste mine.
Time is like a river.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 14, 2015, 04:07:46 PM »
Oi como va be?

Thanks for the id.
Tudo bem amigo

They look great...looking forward to taste mine.

Which one Calostro or Cangrejo?

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 14, 2015, 04:16:44 PM »
Calostro, amigo...I don't have Cangrejo Anón.
Time is like a river.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 14, 2015, 04:21:44 PM »

Oh, we'll take care of that amigo😀

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 14, 2015, 04:30:51 PM »

Oh, we'll take care of that amigo😀

That would be super, muito obrigado.  :)
Time is like a river.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk