Author Topic: My Crunchy white-fleshed Guava, UPDATE! :)  (Read 10969 times)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
My Crunchy white-fleshed Guava, UPDATE! :)
« on: April 30, 2013, 06:34:30 AM »
Howdy Folks,
This tree started flowering after two years in the ground!  :o I actually expected this tree to flower in about 5 years being in the highlands...also this tree didn't even drop a single leaf during winter 8), compared to my 10+ year old tree, which did slowly drop them leaves :o Looks like a bit of love(irrigation and fert)...goes a long way :)

The seeds came from a fruit, I bought in the supermarket from Brazil...don't know the cultivar, but I got to say...seeds from an improved commercial white guava variety, sure didn't take very long to flower 8) I also planted  a tree from the same batch of seeds, in my orchard in Calheta, which is double the size now...though, I didn't see any flowers the last time I was there...hopefully, this tree will start to flower soon :)

The tree in the orchard :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:14:16 PM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
Really cool! I am glad to hear that you are seedling adventurist just like me.

Tomas

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Congrats!  I hope that I could only be so lucky.  How big is your tree?  My guava is only a year old and is still rather little (though I'm hoping that it does a nice acerola impression over the course of the next year  ;)  )
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Hi Tomas,
 :) It's very exciting to start plants from seed and seeing them plants produce flowers for the first time, is really awesome :) #I'm over the moon# ;D

Hi Karen,
Thanks :) the tree is about 90cm/35in high and 70cm/29in wide. :) The tree if i remember correctly, was 1 and half years old and was tipped back when i planted the tree, to promote low branching :) Guavas usually grow slow in the first year, then grows quite fast in the 2nd year...you will see how fast your seedling will grow this year ;) :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
Wow, that thing really wants to fruit and at such a small size, very cool! 8)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Hi Ethan,
I still can't believe this young guava plant wants to flower...I actually wanted to tip the tree during spring...luckly, i was too busy and forgot about it ;D   
Time is like a river.

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
Give us an update! Are there any guavas yet? I personally did not like the guava I tried, to many seeds. Was this one good? Did they ripen yet?

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
It seams, if i understand it right that temp and whatering are critical to guavas...

jegpg1

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
I am not sure those were flowers, were they?  I have a guava tree that fruited, the unopened flowers did not look like that. In fact, mine has young flowers again. Those look like new buds.

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Here's a photo I just took of my tropical white / crunchy guava for reference...

...looks to me like yours is pushing flowers.  Either way, congratulations on the healthy tree!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 02:44:30 PM by PltdWorld »

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Good looking guava Steven! Guavas grow real  fast from seeds around here. My ultimate Mexican cream is three years old and it's fruiting for the second year. Here are some pics.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Re: My Crunchy white-fleshed Guava...Update! :)
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 05:34:09 PM »
Hi folks, sorry for the late reply!

Here's an update of the guava above. :)

I got 6 fruits in total and the size is pretty great.

This week i'll harvest my first fruit and i'm looking forward to know how the fruit tastes likes...can't wait! ;D

Pltd World, great pic...showing the vegetative growth and inflorescences of your tree...thanks for sharing! :)

JF, Thanks, amigo...your tree looks awesome...amazing how the tree fruited so fast! 8) Thanks for sharing! :)
Time is like a river.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Very nice, I hope your seedling fruit turns out to be a great, new variety, thanks for sharing. You now have me considering planting guava seeds. Guavas are one of my favorite fruits, there's just something wonderful and exotic about guavas.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Wow, nice size on those guava's Steven 8)

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Hi Steven, congratulations! Great fruits!!!  :P

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Hi Leo, Scott and Luis,
Thanks a bunch for the compliments, amigos. :)

Leo, Seeds were the only way to get this white flesh, in my Psidium collection...I like giving seeds a go, and see how they turn out, but only seeds from excellent tasting fruits. :) I enjoy eating Guavas, as well...love the smell, too.  8)
Time is like a river.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Ola meu amigo

I had a heavy crop in my ultimate Mexican cream this year....the big surprise was that some of the guavas were actually pink!

val

• central florida 9b
    • View Profile
Steven, I hope it tastes great.   I just found out about this fruit last year and I love it too.  I planted all the seeds from the fruit I ate so I have quite a few small seedlings.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Ola meu amigo

I had a heavy crop in my ultimate Mexican cream this year....the big surprise was that some of the guavas were actually pink!

Olá JF, :)

Wow, What a surprise, indeed. 8) I actually was a bit apprehensive if this guava turned out pink, but i'm happy this one turn out to be pulpa blanca, like the fruit i bought. :)

Steven, I hope it tastes great.   I just found out about this fruit last year and I love it too.  I planted all the seeds from the fruit I ate so I have quite a few small seedlings.

Hi Val, the fruit tasted really nice, but lacks the kick of a pink guava...the fruit had a hint of granny smith apple, and not very sweet. 

Guavas are pretty tasty...good luck with forest of guava seedlings. :)

Time is like a river.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Re: My Crunchy white-fleshed Guava, UPDATE! :)
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 03:16:58 PM »
 Here's them pics! :)

Time is like a river.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 03:26:53 PM »
how was the flavor?!

congrats!

(you guys don't have flies that ruin your guavas?? )
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 03:33:47 PM »
how was the flavor?!

congrats!

(you guys don't have flies that ruin your guavas?? )

Hey Adam, Thanks amigo. :)

The fruit tasted really nice, but lacks the kick of a pink guava...the fruit had a hint of granny smith apple, but more tangy, than sweet.

Late season guava don't get bothered much by flies, only in the peak season of summer.
Time is like a river.

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 03:43:25 PM »
Is there some trick to making a guava fruit, because mine flowered and fruited in 2010, it got too cold, and they dropped their fruit, and hasn't flowered or fruited since.  I started them from seed in 2002, and they're in pots, if that makes a difference.  Appreciate any advice on what you are feeding your guava.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 03:52:21 PM »
Is there some trick to making a guava fruit, because mine flowered and fruited in 2010, it got too cold, and they dropped their fruit, and hasn't flowered or fruited since.  I started them from seed in 2002, and they're in pots, if that makes a difference.  Appreciate any advice on what you are feeding your guava.

Do you have a pic of your tree(s)? 

Time is like a river.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 04:01:31 PM »
Tropicaliste, you should prune your guava tree(s), to stimulate them to renovate the canopy and flowering will occur with this process.

Every Spring, my guava trees get pruned to maintain the height and productivity.

I water the tree very well and add some fert. once in a while. When I planted the tree, I enriched the whole with compost and well decomposed manure.

Time is like a river.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk