Author Topic: mango eating today in S. Florida  (Read 11760 times)

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
mango eating today in S. Florida
« on: June 10, 2013, 01:01:51 AM »
Got to eat quite a few mangoes today in the South Florida area. In general, the standard was a little lower than last year, likely to do with massive amount of rain that has come down in the last month. There were a few real crackers though. Providence- a chance seedling from the Walter Zill orchard. Sweet Tart- another Zill mango was excellent. SOM  a Malika seedling from Harry was really good, as was a seedling mango Clint brought. Edgar was really good too. Some of the notable less flavorful than usual mangoes were pickering, duncan and malika.
great 10 hour trip and I came back with a suitcase full of mangoes including keit, orange sherbert, carrie, sinc, doloras, hatcher, sweet tarm, and SOM.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: mango eating today in S. Florida
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 08:07:50 AM »
I bought a few mangos yesterday from Walter.  He mentioned that someone had flown all the way from New York to get mangos. I should have suspected the forum was involved.  :)

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 08:51:14 AM »
I bought a few mangos yesterday from Walter.  He mentioned that someone had flown all the way from New York to get mangos. I should have suspected the forum was involved.  :)

We passed your truck on the way out! I knew that was you!

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 03:13:54 PM »
Glad we bought up all the mangos when we did!!!!  LOL!

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 06:03:40 PM »
In a spirit of mango magnanimity, I'm glad you did too  :D

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 07:06:13 PM »
Mango mania strikes again! People will do the Kraziest thing for real ripe Florida mangoes. I shipped a mango care package today to relatives in Philadelphia. Get a US Post Office priority mail medium size $12.95 flat rate box (unlimited weight allowed) and mail it out on a Monday///// possibly Tuesday if going to a closer destination in the USofA.

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 07:20:40 PM »
I headed down to Miami Friday night for a quick weekend mango/lychee raid.  Stayed with partner-in-crime Warren, who as always, proved to be a great host.  Rains held off Saturday and it turned out to be a grand day.  There were plenty of mangos that had fallen to the ground during the storms so we got a nice variety to sample along the way.  Got to chat with Chris Rollins a bit too.  We hit Fairchilds afterwards for a quick visit.  Lychees were hard to come by.  Only two places we passed had any.  $5/lb for Brewsters.  We grabbed several pounds from one stand.  Turns out there were plenty of Mauritius included as well.  Picked Gerry(lycheeluva) up Sunday morning at the airport and headed up north to visit Patrick, Zills, and Harry.

Warren and I getting ready to cruise F&S Park in style. 

Fairchild Gardens mangosteen fruiting

FG's langsat had some fruit as well

At Patrick's house checking out his nursery.  Lots of nice stuff too.  Great fun hanging out and gabbing.  PJ and his wife were wonderful hosts.

We all arrive at Zills

We missed a lot of the cooler varieties by just a couple minutes...always waiting on Sheehan!!

Getting a little history lesson on Walter's new mango...Honey Kiss.

Lots of information and he enjoyed sharing with us.  He walked us out thru a little bit of the orchard.  We didn't have a lot of time to spend unfortunately. 

Here's a branch of his heavily producing Honey Kiss.  He's very proud of this fruit and I'm looking forward to a few I brought home to ripen up.

More education.

Big shot of the HK.

Didn't take any pics at Harry's.  By this time, I was just happy to sit down, enjoy some mangos, jackfruit, and entertainment from the group.  Maybe Warren or Gerry has a few pics to share.  As always, it's a blast visiting Harry and he always takes good care of us.  We had a great crowd...Clint, Brandon, Gerry, Warren, PJ, Sheehan, Harry, and I.  Spent a few hours and then it was off to Miami airport for Gerry and I for a lovely, fun-filled evening of delayed flights and overflowing frustration.  But I had a suitcase full of mangos and a fine weekend behind me to help ease the pain of travel.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 07:47:07 PM »
Great photos OJay!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 08:23:55 PM »
Nice pics Jay!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 11:02:03 PM »
What a rough life Jay...all you guys cruzin for mango bruisin.  ;) Does TSA allow mangos onto the planes? Aren't they dangerous--a security threat? I mean can't you get everything on the plane like real sticky? HAHAHA
PS is that photo really a mangosteen fruiting? Isn't it just a flower? Have the mangosteens in that glasshouse produced real fruits?
Oscar

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 12:11:33 AM »
update- i just ate the one orange sherbet mango that mrs zill managed to dig up for me. holy cow- that is one insane mango. truly tastes like orange sherbet. lucky i didnt have 10 of those mangoes or I would have eaten all 10 in one go and gotten really sick. might be the best mango ive ever had, and as a bonus, the skin peels right off the flesh almost like a clementine.

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 07:04:38 AM »
Oscar...yes...their mangosteen has been fruiting for several years.  The one in the pic and others on the tree were very small fruit developing.  They have a nice sized langsat and durian in there as well.  I don't believe the durian has bloomed yet but others more informed could better answer this.  They allow their trees to get really huge...something you can do with a 40' ceiling.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 07:34:41 AM »
Great pictures Jay!! Looks like you guys had a really great time. Thanks for the photos!!

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 09:37:02 AM »
LL,  did the Zills tell you anything about Orange Sherbet or Lemon Zest?  I.e. any secret info we haven't heard yet?

If I tell Mrs. Zill that I just flew in from Siberia.................

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 10:14:08 AM »
"great 10 hour trip and I came back with a suitcase full of mangoes including keit, orange sherbert, carrie, sinc, doloras, hatcher, sweet tarm, and SOM.
"

Lycheeluva, how the heck did you manage to turn that into only a 10 hour drive?? Isn't it closer to 18 hours from NY??

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 12:17:45 PM »
He didn't drive, he flew.

And for the record, the S.O.M. mango he mentions having at my house is not a Som mango.  It stands for Seedling oif Mallika.  Planted from a seed I planted from the first Mallika mango I ever tried, back in the mid-90's at Four Fillies Farm (Frank Smather's place).  That was courtesy of Crafton Clift, then the de facto curator of the farms mango production.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 06:04:20 PM »
Mango:
I did not ask for any info about the orange sherbet as they only found one for me at the last second and then we had to leave.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 07:17:52 PM »
Mango:
I did not ask for any info about the orange sherbet as they only found one for me at the last second and then we had to leave.

Correction: They gave me one and I graciously gave it to you since you came all the way from NY.

Heartwood

• USA, Florida, Broward, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
Mango:

Correction: They gave me one and I graciously gave it to you since you came all the way from NY.

And that's why you are a hero member.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 08:01:54 PM »
Mango:

And that's why you are a hero member.

20 million people live in New York State and only one person there has eaten an Orange Sherbet Mango™

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 08:30:29 PM »
Wait til you try a properly ripened LZ. LZ is slightly better. OS is closer to the PPK end of the taste spectrum. LZ is to date the best mango I've ever had.

update- i just ate the one orange sherbet mango that mrs zill managed to dig up for me. holy cow- that is one insane mango. truly tastes like orange sherbet. lucky i didnt have 10 of those mangoes or I would have eaten all 10 in one go and gotten really sick. might be the best mango ive ever had, and as a bonus, the skin peels right off the flesh almost like a clementine.
Jeff  :-)

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 08:56:31 PM »
Wait til you try a properly ripened LZ. LZ is slightly better. OS is closer to the PPK end of the taste spectrum. LZ is to date the best mango I've ever had.

I really liked Orange Sherbert better...I've had quite a few from Walters place...his 'Providence' is excellent too..

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 10:37:56 PM »
Walter and his wife both prefer LZ flavor-wise. I suppose it depends a lot on whether the two mangos are being compared at their peak. Some OS get internal breakdown and aren't that fantastic, and I've had a couple LZ's that were out of character. OS and LZ at their peak are ridiculously great, but LZ has the edge :-). LZ is also bigger. The OS has a big seed that detracts from the scanter flesh.
Jeff  :-)

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 10:56:11 PM »
ive had a couple of LZ last year and thought they were excellent but from memory i thought the OS was slightly better but I suppose you really need to eat two side by side to make a fair comparison. Sheehan- sorry, i forgot i got it from you. thats two really great things you have sent my way. three if you include the fact that u took the heat for me when it was really me who lost the car rental key!

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2013, 12:19:41 AM »
Anybody taste one of those Honey Kiss mangoes?

They look like they're packed with delish!

Gary