Author Topic: How close would you plant a mango tree to septic tank and drain field?  (Read 939 times)

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
Ive got a decent mango tree collection now but would like to add a few more trees.

Just curious if planting mango trees too close to septic tank or drain field could burn the tree or ruin my septic system.

Im aware that mango trees have long taproots but I’m not educated on their’ root systems well enough to answer this one.

How close is too close?

Thanks

Abe

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Re: How close would you plant a mango tree to septic tank and drain field?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 11:11:42 PM »
Ive got a decent mango tree collection now but would like to add a few more trees.

Just curious if planting mango trees too close to septic tank or drain field could burn the tree or ruin my septic system.

Im aware that mango trees have long taproots but I’m not educated on their’ root systems well enough to answer this one.

How close is too close?

Thanks

Abe

I have a Juliette about 8 ft. from my drain field but I did burry an 18” plastic root barrier in between and so far no problems, though the tree is still young.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 12:16:32 AM »
The tank should not be a big deal if you keep the tree 10ft or more away.  Just so the roots dont damage the tank down the road.

On the leach field, its ok to plant in the leach field.  Plants like the waste water.  The only issue is you want it towards the end of the leach field not in the first run of pipes.
Brad Spaugh

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 12:24:39 AM »
It really depends on your septic system too, especially the age. I wouldn't recommend planting any mango tree within atleast 20-30' of the tank. Roots extending from the taproot grow well beyond the mango dripline; just best to avoid the problem and not plant close. Same goes for septic fields - especially old or malleable plastics that can get ruined by aggressive roots.

Its more so a concern for your septic system (and eventually your wallet when the damage comes in) than it is for the health of the tree. Those nutrients from the field will leach out into the rest of your yard in due time anyway, so it doesnt need to be planted close.

qcguy4198

• Indian River County, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2022, 06:34:45 AM »
I recently completed a 16 yr career with Florida Department of Health in the On-site Septic Program, permitting septic systems. Planting a tree on the drain field is not allowed in Florida. Based upon my experience ( not just opinion) if you put a tree on your drain field, the tree will be happy because as previously observed,  they love the high nutrient treated wastewater. Your local septic contractor will also be happy because they will be replacing your drain field a lot sooner. I’ve seen roots find their way into tanks, header pipes and distribution lines to such an extent that systems are totally compromised.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2022, 09:48:52 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, it seems the general consensus is give the tank and field atleast 20 ft.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk