Author Topic: Water accumulation in your neighboorhood  (Read 4713 times)

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Water accumulation in your neighboorhood
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2023, 08:27:36 AM »
Science is helpful as long as it's real, unfettered, unbiased and unpoliticized science, and not agenda-driven. Much of the research used to promote the climate change scare has been proven by numerous respected scientific bodies around the world to be extremely flawed, skewed and downright fraudulent. And the doomsday projections from decades ago have never occurred.

Sad to say, it's pretty plain to see that people have been spoon fed this climate doom and gloom for so long they accept whatever  comes across the television or the news feed on their phone, and will not listen to or accept any other scientific view, opinion or fact presented to them. They just keep slurping the Kool-Ade and repeating what they've heard.

Quite a bit of ink spilled here on what is likely nothing more than a clogged sewer drain, but it's been really entertaining to see how quickly some people can work their bowels in an uproar over it!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 08:32:07 AM by Calusa »

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2023, 09:54:47 AM »
Science is helpful as long as it's real, unfettered, unbiased and unpoliticized science, and not agenda-driven. Much of the research used to promote the climate change scare has been proven by numerous respected scientific bodies around the world to be extremely flawed, skewed and downright fraudulent. And the doomsday projections from decades ago have never occurred.

Sad to say, it's pretty plain to see that people have been spoon fed this climate doom and gloom for so long they accept whatever  comes across the television or the news feed on their phone, and will not listen to or accept any other scientific view, opinion or fact presented to them. They just keep slurping the Kool-Ade and repeating what they've heard.

Quite a bit of ink spilled here on what is likely nothing more than a clogged sewer drain, but it's been really entertaining to see how quickly some people can work their bowels in an uproar over it!  ;D

Step 1) Slurrrrrrrp
Step 2) Regurgitate via Quote reply, sentence by sentence, slurped up agenda-driven content
Step 3) Add in a "Bro" here and there to really drive it home

It has been entertaining but I agree probably a clogged drain or possibly dry ground coming out of the dry season. Dry ground will not absorb water as quickly and leads to water running off and flooding/pooling before draining off.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2023, 10:02:53 AM »
I personally don’t think science is the answer. Dow AgroSciences probably employs tons of scientists. The answer is living in a way that aligns with nature.  People aren’t going to give up all their modern conveniences but there are ways we can all improve. Governments could do more to help, actually a lot of improvements could be made with government intervention (ex stopping single use plastics-bringing your own straw or fork to a restaurant isn’t that much of an inconvenience, and there are paper product alternatives as well) - not that anyone in the government will do this
The two really can't go together if you do a deep dive into the issues.  That's the problem in a nutshell.  This is not directed at you personally, Julie.  It's our civilization.  BUT could we strike a balance between a reasonable degree of comfort and respecting natural systems and planetary limitations?  I think so.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 10:54:31 AM by johnb51 »
John

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2023, 10:09:17 AM »
Much of the research used to promote the climate change scare has been proven by numerous respected scientific bodies around the world to be extremely flawed, skewed and downright fraudulent.

(Citation needed)

Every single "respected scientific body" in the world, without exception, agrees that climate change is real, is human-caused, and the only "exceptions" are a few individuals who claim falsely that they are being silenced. Those individuals are the ones who are "agenda-driven."

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2023, 10:15:16 AM »
Much of the research used to promote the climate change scare has been proven by numerous respected scientific bodies around the world to be extremely flawed, skewed and downright fraudulent.

(Citation needed)

Every single "respected scientific body" in the world, without exception, agrees that climate change is real, is human-caused, and the only "exceptions" are a few individuals who claim falsely that they are being silenced. Those individuals are the ones who are "agenda-driven."
My mind is made up.  I'll find my own facts.  Now let's talk about mangos and tropical fruits.  ;)
John

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2023, 11:47:07 AM »

Oh yeah? Feel free to link this research by these "numerous respected scientific bodies". Go on, show some actual evidence.

And the doomsday projections from decades ago have never occurred.

And exactly which actual scientists were making doomsday projections decades ago that were to occur within this time period now? If you knew about the actual research, you'd know that the bulk of it from back then AND now put the major visible effects in either the second half of this century (2023 ain't halfway) or even later. I linked to some of it. Estimates have since been revised on some issues like the polar ice caps (which ARE receding faster than earlier projections, sorry to bust your bubble, but there are actual things happening that are measurable within a human lifetime).

Also, most of those "doomsday" scenarios I'm assuming you're talking about (like, what? A rapid release of frozen methane causing a rapid-in-decades five degree rise? Be specific, man) are discussed as hopefully-unlikely worst-case scenarios in the scientific community. Maybe you're confusing headlines you thought you read with actual science?

Seriously, how can you know that the science is bogus when you don't even seem to know what it actually is?

You say this and yet everything you've said so far is free of anything that could be fact-checked, has no sources, and absolutely could be word for word something that you heard out the corner of your ear listening to Tucker rant while you fell asleep after dinner. It also doesn't directly answer anything that any of the rest of us have said. You're just giving us a straight party line.

You certainly haven't said ANYTHING that directly answers my point asking how it is all b.s. if the oil companies have internal research that shows the same effect curve as independent scientists. Do you have something for that or just gonna pretend it isn't real because it's inconvenient?

Also, if you read back up, nobody in this thread is doomsday-ing. There's been people discussing what amount to the effects of what would be really small changes. Miami's drainage is so crap that even a few inches of sea rise (something that is measurably happening right now whether your politics let you believe that or not: https://www.cbsnews.com/miami/news/rising-sea-level-impacting-south-florida/, the city is ALREADY having to take steps to deal with it: https://www.miamidade.gov/global/economy/resilience/sea-level-rise-flooding.page) could plausibly have effects on flooding that you over on a side with slightly higher elevation and more drainage wetlands wouldn't see as much of.

THINK for a minute and stop knee-jerk reacting to what you THINK people are saying.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 03:54:24 PM by CeeJey »

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2023, 12:08:02 PM »
Freeze this thread!!!!!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2023, 12:19:14 PM »
The rain has been sporadic in Miami-Dade. While we are probably above average now, that was not the case a month ago. And even then, most of the rain we had in the first few months of 2023 was from just a couple of storms, with intense dry periods in-between. The rainy season was late to start. Also, rainfall across Miami-Dade varies considerably. MIA can get 2 inches of rain, and we get nada. Most people I know were in a near drought state until about a month ago. Flying the drone up and looking around, nearly all yards were burnt.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2023, 12:44:20 PM »
Freeze this thread!!!!!
In the early days of this forum, we had a miscellaneous section where "controversial" topics were discussed (?).  It was removed for obvious reasons.
John

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2023, 12:46:22 PM »
Freeze this thread!!!!!

Just out of curiosity, if the OP of this thread had instead posted some pictures of yellowing citrus leaves and asked "is this citrus greening" and the first reply had been somebody saying that citrus greening was a conspiracy theory by Big Mango, and then people here had correctly called them out for being chock full of crap, you wouldn't be calling for the thread to be frozen, would you? Honestly if that were the original exchange, the responses in here would seem kind of tame, eh?

Just because something has unfortunately been politicized, doesn't mean that it isn't extremely relevant to what we're all trying to do here, i.e. grow fruit trees.

Step 1) Slurrrrrrrp
Step 2) Regurgitate via Quote reply, sentence by sentence, slurped up agenda-driven content
Step 3) Add in a "Bro" here and there to really drive it home

Passive-aggressive much? You could just say you didn't understand what I wrote and I could re-write it using smaller words and shorter sentences for you, bro.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2023, 12:50:39 PM »
Ya'll need to chill. This is a fruit forum. Weather and climate are relevant to fruiting, but not issues we need to debate here. I love this site because it is about plants and fruit. It is nice to escape from all the negativity in the world. Stanking it up with this off topic stuff.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 12:52:26 PM by roblack »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2023, 02:46:52 PM »
I’ve been trying to upload an image but this site will never let me. I do think the storm drains being clogged could be the culprit now because the water accumulation is areas of the street where there are storm drains and they are draining very slowly. Is there someone I should contact to report this issue? I don’t live in a HOA community. Yes sadly people do throw trash on my street

Yes, call the local Public Works. Even my small county has a road and bridge department that could clean the drain and an engineering department that could verify that the drains were the right size. Good luck!  ;)

Calusa

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2023, 04:04:40 PM »
This is a fruit forum.

Indeed. I've got a few bananas I need to pick. More later.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2023, 04:10:44 PM »
Thank you Galatians, I will call the public works department and see if they can help. At least worthy a try.. sorry for disagreements this post has caused-I think weather is related to tropical fruits

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2023, 04:12:27 PM »
Ya'll need to chill. This is a fruit forum. Weather and climate are relevant to fruiting, but not issues we need to debate here. I love this site because it is about plants and fruit. It is nice to escape from all the negativity in the world. Stanking it up with this off topic stuff.

Sorry! Thanks for your insight about the storm drain. I see what you mean though

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2023, 04:16:14 PM »
Indeed. I've got a few bananas I need to pick. More later.

I thought you’ve been picking up bananas here.
Not fulfilling?

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2023, 04:38:08 PM »
Freeze this thread!!!!!

This abnormality is another form of devastating global warming.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2023, 04:51:36 PM »

Just out of curiosity, if the OP of this thread had instead posted some pictures of yellowing citrus leaves and asked "is this citrus greening" and the first reply had been somebody saying that citrus greening was a conspiracy theory by Big Mango, and then people here had correctly called them out for being chock full of crap, you wouldn't be calling for the thread to be frozen, would you? Honestly if that were the original exchange, the responses in here would seem kind of tame, eh?

Just because something has unfortunately been politicized, doesn't mean that it isn't extremely relevant to what we're all trying to do here, i.e. grow fruit trees.

We don't have Citrus Greening in Australia  as of yet.
How might it get here ?
We are still importing Citrus fruit from USA. Possibly low risk / zero risk with treatment, but who knows.
Australia exports Citrus to USA in your off season, and imports in our off season. The Gap is not that great. The profits must be bigger.
A few years ago exports of Citrus to USA took a dive. The local industry went into local promotion and begged locals to buy local Citrus fruit.
Funny that they didn't ask that previously when they could sell their fruit overseas ??
Citrus canker got into the Darwin area some years back. Suspected by contaminated tools from farm workers who came in from overseas farms.
Another outbreak linked to illegally imported budwood used to start a major orchard in QLD.

Not a "conspiracy theory" as such  but the global movement of produce and workers is linked to the economic forces that further contribute to Climate Change,
above that of each persons individual consumption of goods and services and contribution to the atmosphere.
This was clearly illustrated during Covid, when supply chains went to near breaking point. Goods could not easily be moved interstate.
Another interesting case was here was when a disgruntled worker put sewing pins into punnets of strawberries. ( ps this is a strange case, want really happened is murky).
Basically the whole supply of Strawberries in Australia was shut down because they all come from 1 or 2 large farms in QLD, and trucked Australia wide.
A similar case with Canteloupe melons, Blueberries etc. Totally shut down due to contamination issues on one or two farms.
Local small scale producers of fruit and vegetables cannot often supply their local supermarkets.
It is well known that fresh grapes from this area, travel to Melbourne for supply/logistic reasons, then travel back to our shelves.
If tackling Climate Change addresses some of these issues, it will be a good thing.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 07:19:08 PM by pagnr »

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2023, 05:51:44 PM »
There's a lot of variation in how dry we get in dry season or when the dry or rainy season starts or ends. I have seen "dry" seasons in Florida with normal amounts of rain not a lot but something normal for other regions and green grass. I have also seen dry seasons with months of no rain, dead plants and forest fires as a result.

As a whole I don't see much difference. Maybe slightly more rain than before but not much. High temperatures in summer have not changed because in Florida once it gets hot and humid enough it rains which puts a cap on high temps. They usually hover around 95 before raining. If there's not enough moisture in the air I have seen it 130 around concrete areas but the 90s was the hottest summers.

Winter has been a lot warmer. We used to get three or four hard freezes in a year. Night temps in the 20s in south Florida. Teens are rare but not unheard of them quickly warming above freezing during the day. The news would report orange farmers are preparing for the freeze. Well we haven't had a hard freeze in six or seven years. Lowest it got was 33 with a slight 32 degree freeze down the street this year and last. And that only happened once. Don't know if we are just in a warm cycle or if it's more permanent. The late 90s were record highs then around 2010 record lows now we are warm again. Though record lows are usually connected to a major volcano somewhere blocking out sun but the sun itself flares up hotter and colder in cycles. I personally believe the massive development replacing woods with hot asphalt and roofs is heating Florida along with a one or two degree global warming addition. We are definitely way above historical norms. But the ebb and flow in Florida is normal. In the 1930s or something they grew pineapple in punta Gorda. Not a single freeze in about ten years. Then some cold winters wiped them out and they no longer have pineapple farms in Florida. But the tropical vegetation like coconuts and mangos seem to be creeping further north.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2023, 07:59:35 PM »
20yrs ago you could set your watch every afternoon to the thunder & downpours.
It's Florida.  It rains.  My trees love it.  I have a lawn again lol.
Yes rumor has it climate changes.  I'm not fighting dinosaurs for my mangos.

dm

• Miami-Dade County, FL - Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2023, 08:20:15 PM »
Freeze this thread!!!!!

Not until we all read this National Science Foundation funded paper that is of utmost importance to all of us!

https://reason.com/2016/03/07/this-university-of-oregon-study-on-femin/

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2023, 09:04:11 PM »
Looks like some folks didn't get Roblack's memo asking for chill, I guess. Sorry Roblack.

Freeze this thread!!!!!

Not until we all read this National Science Foundation funded paper that is of utmost importance to all of us!

Lol, yeah, nice, a strawman hit piece in a Koch-funded infotainment rag. Cause "news" the petroleum barons pay for is totally legit when it comes to stuff that directly impacts their business. Totally a legit source. What was that that dwfl said earlier, something about "agenda-driven"? Anyway.

EDIT: Y'know, this thread has been pretty depressing in terms of the quality of information and critical thinking that it turns out people are bringing to the table. Gonna have to take some of the fruit growing advice with three or four grains of salt going forward. At least folks like Pagnr and some others are around, I guess.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 09:26:58 PM by CeeJey »

Greater Good

• Coral Gables, Florida Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2023, 09:26:36 PM »
Limestone base under my topsoil facilitates quick drainage. Standing water is not an issue in our neighborhood. Let the water percolate into the aquifer as nature designed

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2023, 09:44:21 PM »
Limestone base under my topsoil facilitates quick drainage. Standing water is not an issue in our neighborhood. Let the water percolate into the aquifer as nature designed
What is your elevation, are you on the coastal ridge?
Your setup in a low area could be a problem if the water table is high.   

Calusa

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2023, 10:34:38 PM »
Freeze this thread!!!!!

The idiotic notions that emanate from the Loony Left are absolutely boundless.

Here's another: https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220125-why-climate-change-is-inherently-racist