Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Poncirus fruit comparison

<< < (9/10) > >>

jim VH:
As requested last spring, here are a few of the observations from this years crop of 'Dragonballs'

Fruit on the tree about early October:

Enough ripe fruit to flavor a batch of Apple quince sauce were then picked up off the ground and cut open alongside a ruler.  These are typical.  The seed count is relatively low, some are even seedless.  The largest one I've found ( not shown here) was about seven cm-somewhat less than 3 inches.

The juice was then hand squeezed :

Then diluted about 3 or 4 to one:

Then allowed to sit for twelve hours to settle the solids:

It was then boiled to kill yeast and vinegar bacteria, then added to the sauce of seven quinces:

combined with an equal amount of applesauce and canned:

Producing about 3 quarts ( somewhat less than three liters) for those who like this sort of thing:

I'm the one on the right.

Jibro:

--- Quote from: jim VH on October 29, 2020, 11:25:50 AM ---  The largest one I've found ( not shown here) was about seven cm-somewhat less than 3 inches.

--- End quote ---

7 cm is really impressive for poncirus fruit, some are even seedless, you have really something special. Largest poncirus fruit that I found so far had 6cm, these big fruits are significantly better for processing and culinary use...

Zitrusgaertner:

--- Quote from: Ilya11 on September 01, 2020, 01:02:11 PM ---Jiri, a presence of underdeveloped seeds is probably a good sign of zygotic nature of this variety.
Have you also tried to germinated them? In some cases, liberated from testa they are able to give seedlings.

--- End quote ---

Ilya, will it be of any favour to remove the tegmen aswell? I know it is a delicate work to do so.

Robert

Ilya11:
Robert, for already germinated seeds removal of this internal envelope is doing no harm, but I have seen some molding when it is inadvertently removed together  with testa.
Could be just a problem of scratching damage.

jim VH:
Jibro,
That 7cm fruit was a real outlier; the 4-5cm fruits shown in the photo are more typical, with quite a scattering of smaller ones.  I wish I'd taken a picture of the big one.
I have an apple tree called Spartan that does something similar.  One year I got an apple  that weighed very nearly a  pound, whereas 2-3 fruit per pound is more typical.  Why that happens is a mystery to me.

The seedless ones tend to be the small one, though I did get a couple largeish ones that were seedless.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version