Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Poncirus fruit comparison

<< < (2/10) > >>

Ilya11:
No, it is just their different position, All three look very much alike.

Citradia:
Oh my goodness; I was hoping swamp lemon would be the answer to my prayers. I guess it’s not that much different from PT. If I did find a “swamp lemon” in the swamps of eastern NC, it would be hard to tell if it was swamp lemon or just another PT.

Ilya11:

--- Quote from: Citradia on November 23, 2018, 07:26:51 PM ---Oh my goodness; I was hoping swamp lemon would be the answer to my prayers. I guess it’s not that much different from PT. If I did find a “swamp lemon” in the swamps of eastern NC, it would be hard to tell if it was swamp lemon or just another PT.

--- End quote ---
It is obvious that at least this year, freshly cut Swamp Lemon is very different from the "ordinary" poncirus .
I guess that the amount of juice is inversely proportional to the seed number. It could be that a limited number of seeds is a feature of Swamp Lemon and explains why people consider it more acceptable than ordinary poncirus. Also, as you see my poncirus has green color of the pulp, while two other fruits are both  yellow inside. 

Citradia:
My PT fruit didn’t have green pulp. Maybe pulp color indicates variety?

mikkel:
This weekend I found an interesting Poncirus.
I took pictures like Ilya did.
I found this fruit interesting as the plant description in park said it is a lemon substitute... sounded like on ebay :)
There was only 1 fruit on the tree but several rotten on the ground.
There were other plants grown as a hedge with only few tiny fruits Might be seedlings of it.

The fruit is fuzzy like any Poncirus fruit. You can`t see it on the picture.

Inside like any other Poncirus (left fruit is a rotten one, not the one i used for taste test)

Juice of the Ellerhoop tree

Diluteted juice after 1 1/2 days

There is only some pulp in the diluted juice but nothing more.

Juice is free from resin and sour. No bitterness to my taste ( but I can`t be used as scale :) )
When you bite into the pulp there is some resin but not much and it is not very sticky to the teeth. It did not last long.
There is some bitterness in the peel.
I asked friends to taste it they found some bitterness in the pulp. But only a little. None said it is aweful...
Taste is a highly subjective matter I think. It would be good to have more fruits but so far i need to wait for next year.
I will see if it is as good as this  fruit.

The supposed seedlings are similar in taste but there is no juice in it. I found 3 tiny fruits in the hedge all are more or less the same.
Pulp is more greenish than in the "mother". You can`t see it on the picture.

Tonight I will taste the diluted juice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version