Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

My first poncirus marmalade tastes good.

(1/7) > >>

Citradia:
My trifoliata trees finally produced enough fruit for me to try making marmalade and it turned out to be surprisingly good! I basically followed the sure-jell recipe but pored off the boiled water from the chopped peels and just added the peels to the fruit pulp/ juice. It ended up being 2.75 cups of pulp/juice and 1.25 cups of water, sure-jell, 5.5 cups of sugar. The final product tastes like a strong yet sweet orange marmalade with no bitterness. There was no resin sticking to my teeth after eating the marmalade either. I just used standard poncirus trifoliata fruit for this batch, not the flying dragon.

SoCal2warm:
If you want to be more natural than sure-jell, you can use Quince fruit, preferably Cydonia oblonga, but others can work too. The fruits are very high in pectin so it doesn't take that much.

Citradia:
Evidently, oranges and apples, Rowan all have pectin and can be jellied without adding pectin by processing the jelly longer and by cooking the fruit with the orange seeds in a cloth bag to get pectin out of the seeds. I’m not afraid to eat sure-jell pectin as I doubt it’s plastic or something poisonous. I can process the fruit in 10 minutes with pectin versus 40 plus minutes without it, and After 5 hours of work I know it will set. But thanks for the tips, Socal2warm.

Bomand:
I have tried to make marmalade from poncirus. Using several recipes from others and online. No matter what I do I get the poncirus aftertaste. The most edible recipe came from a friend....you take the poncirus fruit and put it in a brown paper bag. Toss the bag under the seat of your pick up truck for two months. After several months empty the fruit out and eat the bag........😁😁😁😁😁

hardyvermont:

--- Quote from: Citradia on October 28, 2019, 08:56:26 PM --- I basically followed the sure-jell recipe but pored off the boiled water from the chopped peels and just added the peels to the fruit pulp/ juice. It ended up being 2.75 cups of pulp/juice and 1.25 cups of water, sure-jell, 5.5 cups of sugar. The final product tastes like a strong yet sweet orange marmalade with no bitterness. There was no resin sticking to my teeth after eating the marmalade either. I just used standard poncirus trifoliata fruit for this batch, not the flying dragon.

--- End quote ---

I made this a few years ago and poured the water off several times as recommended by the recipe.  Is that what you did?  Never kept the pulp.  How did you separate the pulp from the seeds?

In final product different kinds of citrus skin were added to tone down bitterness and for more flavor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version