Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Feijoa in NJ zone 7a

<< < (3/10) > >>

Plantinyum:

--- Quote from: shiro on January 28, 2022, 08:26:17 PM ---In my area, some people cut the feijoa tree into balls every year. This way, if ever there is a cold spell, it is easy to put a transparent winter cover over the trees. This also protects the flower buds. But in my case, this pruning is more for the sake of beauty, because cold temperatures of -15°C are very rare or of very short duration. I'll post you some pictures when I go for a walk.  But don't worry, they're pretty tough, mine can easily withstand -12°C without damage. And even once -20°C but only for a few hours, but on already mature trees. But if it didn't die, there was damage that time.

--- End quote ---

And what about prolonged freezing weather, this january we had around 10 days of subzero weather 24 hours a day. The lowest i measured was -15 c. Do they survive such low temps only if in the day it is above freezing ??
The variety i'm thinking of planting is Jemini.

vnomonee:
-14c / 7f followed by freezing rain sometime last month burned all of the leaves they are brown and crispy.

Wood and small/thin branches are still green, everywhere I checked.

Should I help the trees defoliate or let the leaves drop on their own when the spring winds come through? I touched a couple here and there and they come off easily, the spot left behind where the leaf was attached is alive

MisterPlantee:
Slightly different, but I brought my Feijoa out too fast in the spring last year and all the leaves burned brown to a crisp. I let the leaves fall off naturally and it came back bushier and bigger than ever

vnomonee:

--- Quote from: MisterPlantee on March 07, 2022, 01:33:41 PM ---Slightly different, but I brought my Feijoa out too fast in the spring last year and all the leaves burned brown to a crisp. I let the leaves fall off naturally and it came back bushier and bigger than ever

--- End quote ---

Good to hear that it can recover from losing all of the leaves. I am slowly acclimating my 2 potted feijoas. I have them under shade when they are outside I only bring them in if there is a freeze. Hoping to get enough chill hours to flower since my indoor temps never go below 60

Inside right now because the wind is pretty bad

vnomonee:
defoliated outdoor bush with living buds where leaves dropped

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version