Author Topic: When to remove support on avocado grafts?  (Read 449 times)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
When to remove support on avocado grafts?
« on: May 21, 2022, 12:13:36 PM »
I used both mini-zip ties and buddy tape on avocado grafts with good success. Grafts are now about six weeks old. Some of the grafts have pushed six inches(15 cm) and I'm wondering if that is enough growth to safely release the graft union? If I do remove, what do you look for to know if they are ready? These are both potted and in-ground seedlings.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: When to remove support on avocado grafts?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 07:51:11 PM »
It sounds like you are doing well with a very good push. I think it would depend on which graft you have used. A cleft graft might need less support than a side veneer that would be vulnerable to getting knocked of for separating even on its own weight.
Peter

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 08:04:12 PM »
The field grafted seedling trees 90% of the time I do 2-3 grafts, side veneer.  I train the tree to have 2-4 branches. As soon as I see 2-4 inches of growth, I remove the tape. I use conventional grafting tape.  I use the same tape to tie the graft to the branch. Monitor when they are 10-15 inches and tie again. Remove all other shots, eventually the shoot dies, and the grafts goes on.  I never use plastic ties.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 09:21:15 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I did all cleft except one side veneer because the rootstock had gotten about 1/2 inch diameter. I will start opening some of them up to see. I did 3 different rounds some are still pushing out of the tape. Carlos, your grafting videos were helpful to me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk