Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Thomasville v. Morton?

<< < (4/6) > >>

tedburn:

--- Quote from: vnomonee on November 30, 2022, 07:08:21 PM ---I have Morton two years old, no fruits yet either. Can we see pictures of your plant? Is Thomasville worth it in zone 7a? I want a tree but will have to be in the ground. I don't think Morton can survive outside.

--- End quote ---

I have documented the development of my in ground planted citrus hybrids, also Morton and Thomasville in this post, there you can see pictures and how they managed two winters, the first very hard, the second more mildly. But Thomasville is one of my most hardy citrus varieties.
https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=43470.25

vnomonee:
Ah yes I remember seeing that, looks good. I might have to graft a piece to my tai-tri which is very hardy and vigorous for me here. Should help it grow faster than standard poncirus.

Till:
My Morton is in open ground grafted on Poncirus. But it stands in a glashouse. I am quite sure it would not survive unprotected. The glashouse allows the plants to grow about two month earlier than outside (~beginning of March instead of end of April). It is also some degrees warmer than outside during summer.
I try to make a picture of the plant tomorrow. It is now a bit over 2m high. I have another Morton of a similar size in a pot, also grafed on Poncirus. It blooms willingly but I had no fruits so far. And it does not look as healthy. I suppose earth issues. I shall repot it into a less organic soil. Then I will see how it does next year.

Till:
Here some pictures from my Morton. My glashouse is full to the limit so that I could not make a portait of my tree. In the overview it is the tree with the yellow fruits. It reaches to the crossbeam under the roof and is now a bit over 2m high. It had 16 fruits this year (not counted two very small ones) most of which have the size of a supermarket orange. The two pictures of the fruit show one of the bigger fruits (most are not much smaller). It fell off by itself today. Outside appearance and interior is like that of an orange. Pulp structure is, however, finer and segment walls quite tough. So you best queeze it or eat it with a spoon.

Till:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version