Citrus > Citrus Buy, Sell, & Trade

Japanese citrus growers?

(1/2) > >>

caladri:
I'm interested in connecting with any citrus growers in Japan who are willing to ship to Canada, and who are growing Japanese varieties that are not common elsewhere. Personal use importation to Canada does not require a permit, and I have ordered a lot of Citrus depressa from Okinawa in the past with success, and with the cheap fixed-rate boxes available from Japan Post. I'm especially interested in Citrus tachibana, but am open to all varieties :)  Happy to pay by bank transfer or PayPal.

Thank you!

Peep:
I don't know how it works between Canada and Japan, but Japan has always been illegal to import from to Europe, and apparently rightly so with how common Tristeza seems to be in Japan.

Anyway, for the Tachibana you can ask this nursery in Italy if they ship to Canada: https://www.oscartintori.it/prodotto/mandarino-tachibana/

pagnr:
Are you importing fruit for consumption ? What is the time frame involved Japan to Canada ?
The ordinary post and priority from Japan to Australia is far faster than Australia to Japan.
There are plenty of websites in Japanese for individual Citrus farmers, but how to connect ??

Citrus canker on fruit is probably more of a problem than Tristeza via fruit.
Seed are not likely to transmit either, if hygiene controls used to extract seed from fruit from Canker areas.
Tristeza is mechanically ( graft ) or insect transmitted.

Peep:

--- Quote from: pagnr on November 24, 2022, 02:53:05 AM ---Citrus canker on fruit is probably more of a problem than Tristeza via fruit.
Seed are not likely to transmit either, if hygiene controls used to extract seed from fruit from Canker areas.
Tristeza is mechanically ( graft ) or insect transmitted.

--- End quote ---

Yes, he never mentioned the word fruit so I was thinking he is talking about these varieties as plants, but I see that it makes more sense if he is talking about the fruit. I was probably a bit too tired. Tachibana fruit itself is also apparently not all that great tasting (of course everyone likes different things), but it can give good results for breeding.

caladri:
Thanks for inviting the clarification, yes, I meant to be talking about fruit :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version