Author Topic: Leaf cuttings citrus propagation  (Read 6019 times)

caladri

• Canada, British Columbia, Salt Spring Island, USDA 8b/9a
    • View Profile
Re: Leaf cuttings citrus propagation
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2024, 01:04:36 PM »
There was a Mongolian horticulturalist several years ago who was doing leaf rooting and propagation specifically of rooted lemon leaves in large quantities, but I haven't seen an update from them in quite some time, and I don't know whether they were getting plants from the rooted leaves, or just using them to generate more material for use in tissue culture (which I seem to recall they were also doing.)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2024, 01:12:21 PM »
Well after reading Dr. Manners thoughts, I maintain my concern if the tree actually "came" from the leaf.  My remaining consideration is,  as Dr. Manners wrote, the tree most likely developed from an axillary bud that came along with the leaf when it was torn from the mother tree, and not from the leaf itself.  Whatever occurred, it is quite an amazing situation.  One in a million or even higher situation.  From time to time it would be great if you would keep this forum up to dated on how this tree does in the future. CONGRATULATIONS!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 04:01:37 PM by Millet »

Till

• Germany, Simmerath (City), Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2024, 08:18:43 PM »
Yes we have to be open for all possibilities that are backed by the observable facts. And it is good to be open for new phenomena.

I remember a very respected and experienced forum member of this forum and the old citrus forum who was absolutely sure that any Poncirus hybrid must have horrible taste and that any new hardy breed with Poncirus blood in it will not be worth tasting. Then Ilya began extensively posting and it became silent about this opinion. Indeed, the facts had changed and so why not changing one's mind?

David Kipps

• Aroda, VA, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2024, 10:41:49 PM »
I've heard that some chimeras can arise from the callous tissue at a graft union where there is a mixture of both kinds of cells.  I assume that this is without a preexisting bud, since it is the callous tissue.  Likewise, couldn't the callous tissue at the end of a leaf producing roots also spontaneously generate a shoot in rare cases?

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2024, 04:05:54 PM »
I've heard that some chimeras can arise from the callous tissue at a graft union where there is a mixture of both kinds of cells.  I assume that this is without a preexisting bud, since it is the callous tissue.  Likewise, couldn't the callous tissue at the end of a leaf producing roots also spontaneously generate a shoot in rare cases?

That was the second option given by Dr. Manners in the quoted email above, where he said this:

Alternatively, it did produce some callus (undifferentiated) tissue at the base, and so may have made an adventitious shoot from that entirely possible, although somewhat unusual.

kulasa

• United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2024, 07:31:02 AM »
I have only tried it with a ponderosa and alemow leaves.  Alemow leaves root so much easier compared to the ponderosa.  My first alemow leaf cutting is now in a 7 gallon pot with 5 different varieties grafted onto it.  That nob you see on the leaf that is where the shoot will grow, all you need to do is to shine a light on it. That's what I did with all of mine.  Mke sure tho that the light wont dry out the leaf by tenting it.

More pictures of the stump at the base :

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2024, 05:31:47 PM »
Kulasa, then is it not coming from the leaf, but rather from what you are calling the nob.

kulasa

• United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2024, 07:00:53 AM »
Hi Millet,

The leaf grows like a callous after it grows a root.  That callous is what i call the nob.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2024, 09:52:12 AM »
Since citrus root cuttings  are able to give new plants, I do not see a reason why rooted leaf cuttings are not able to do it.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

kulasa

• United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2024, 06:01:03 PM »
There was a Mongolian horticulturalist several years ago who was doing leaf rooting and propagation specifically of rooted lemon leaves in large quantities, but I haven't seen an update from them in quite some time, and I don't know whether they were getting plants from the rooted leaves, or just using them to generate more material for use in tissue culture (which I seem to recall they were also doing.)

I believe you are talking about Gantumur Batbold.  He is a biologist.  I learned from him, he taught me how to root leaves, introduced me to grafting and made me read Dr Bitters' book.   I have done it with key lime, ponderosa and alemow.  Key lime took the longest, Alemow the fastest.  I did not get to see the key lime and ponderosa grow shoot, but the Alemow did.  I have rooted plenty of Alemow leaves, and have used them as rootstock.  They are very vigorous hence the grew fast. My very first rooted alemow leaf is in a 7 gal pot with 5 varieties grafted on to it.  I intend to add more when I have time.

The leaf will not shoot out nor grow a node. The root crown will.  Once the leaf has rooted, you have to expose the crown to light to stimulate new growth.  A callus will form and it is where the new shoot will grow from.

Zagara

• France North
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2024, 06:40:24 AM »
Hi everyone, and thanks for your various feedbacks.

A quick update on my rooted leaves:

I repoted them a few weeks back in order to expose the stem and give them more space.

I'm still waiting for the shoots 🤞

In the first picture are some navel oranges leaves, collected from fruits in a shop.

In the second pictures are some  tahitien lime leaves,  collected from a tree.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 06:43:19 AM by Zagara »

growinginphoenix

• USA, AZ, 9a/9b, Sunset Zone 13
    • View Profile
    • My notes
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2024, 02:38:27 PM »
Dr Bitters' book

Which book is that? I couldn't find it by searching :( Any idea where to buy it?

Till

• Germany, Simmerath (City), Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2024, 02:50:39 PM »
Thank you for your pictures, Kulasa! They clearly show where the shot comes from.

Inspiring. I shall begin producing leave cuttings, also.

kulasa

• United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2024, 06:17:41 PM »
Dr Bitters' book

Which book is that? I couldn't find it by searching :( Any idea where to buy it?

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/sites/default/files/2022-08/citrus-rootstocks-their-characters-and-reactions-bitters.pdf

kulasa

• United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2024, 06:18:15 PM »
Thank you for your pictures, Kulasa! They clearly show where the shot comes from.

Inspiring. I shall begin producing leave cuttings, also.

You're welcome!

growinginphoenix

• USA, AZ, 9a/9b, Sunset Zone 13
    • View Profile
    • My notes

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2024, 11:53:09 AM »
kulasa, I do have a question for you on how much of the leaf you consider parts of the leaf.

Are you just cutting the leaf from any branch flush without get any branch onto the cut leaf?

Maybe if you could post a photo of a few alemow leaf that you would cut off the tree before you put it in a pot so it is more clear how much of the leaf stem you are talking about here.

Your leaf photos with roots growing is amazing and impressive.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 11:55:15 AM by sc4001992 »

kulasa

• United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2024, 12:43:43 PM »
Thank you. I will take photos later, but it's the whole leaf including petiole. No part of branch/stem included. Let me just finish cleaning chicken coops, just taking a break right now.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2024, 05:09:35 PM »
ok, I got it, thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk