Author Topic: Fertilization schedule for container citrus in the north  (Read 910 times)

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
Fertilization schedule for container citrus in the north
« on: November 10, 2021, 10:22:26 PM »
I know that in ground citrus needs fertilizing 3 times/year, but what about my container citrus here in Massachusetts Zone 5b?
What fertilizer and how much should I use? I have been using Jack's 25-5-15 Professional Fertilizer (1/2 Tsp/gal H2O) every time I water.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Fertilization schedule for container citrus in the north
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 10:09:31 AM »
I know Millet has mentioned that he uses Jacks HPF with every watering.  I don't recall what amount, but it sounds like you are already on the right track.  I personally do not measure fertilizer in absolute terms, only relative... I start with a guess and if I see nutrient deficiencies I keep increasing the application rate until the deficiencies disappear.   I found it difficult to interpret the various fertilization guides when it comes to container plants. 

Also, for containers I actually use Osmocote Plus slow release pellets for convenience (no pre-mixing fert required).  I only use Jacks HPF for my in-ground trees as it is more cost effective. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 05:13:44 PM by brian »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 02:59:40 PM »
It depends a lot on the temperature and the amount of light the plants receive.  Many of my container trees are growing in a 5-1-1 medium and I fertilize every third or fourth watering. They are growing inside a greenhouse.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 09:03:58 PM by Millet »

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2021, 08:18:16 PM »
The other main factor is the size or volume of the pot, and the volume of application of the liquid fertilizer per pot.
ie 500 ml per pot of the liquid fertiliser mix (at 1/2 tsp per gal per watering).
assuming 1/2 tsp is 2.85 grams of fert powder.
Thinking that you water/fertilize  weekly on average, ( It's probably more ?? )
with a 25 N fertiliser, you should be getting good growth ??
Unless you have winter heating, you may want to lower the fertiliser application in winter if the plants aren't too active.
As you probably water less frequently in winter without heat, the applications are reduced anyway.
How long have you been applying this fertilizer regime, and how do you like the results ??

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 10:31:41 PM »
I have been using my fertilization protocol for about 5 years and seem to be getting good growth without any major signs of nutrient deficiencies. I forgot to mention that I also us Osmocote Plus in addition to Jack's fertilizer.
Thank you for all of your responses.