Author Topic: 'Ice Cream' Mango ripening – some questions . . . .  (Read 1155 times)

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
'Ice Cream' Mango ripening – some questions . . . .
« on: July 05, 2021, 10:15:24 AM »
Now with 'TS Elsa' about to bring a bunch of rain to us here in west central Florida, I am wondering how all that water may affect the ripening of my 'Ice Cream' mango fruit....  And whether it might cause any change in their flavor.

There are two fruit remaining hanging on my 6-ft tall plant, each about 3.5 to 4-inches in diameter, both still a pale green color.  Haven't seen any change in color of the skin of either fruit in the last days.  What should I be looking for as an incidator that these are ready to pick?

Anyone here in 9b growing 'Ice Cream' and have some observations on this, please...

TIA

Paul M.
==

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: 'Ice Cream' Mango ripening – some questions . . . .
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 02:15:10 PM »
Someone told me locally there is not much color change.You have to go by touch and feel

My three are still hanging on.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 02:18:50 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 02:32:27 PM »
Gotta go by sight, not touch/feel.  If you wait for it to have give, it will either drop, be eaten and/or be past on the i side.  Its another variety that takes experience to pick properly.

As to the original post, maybe bring the pot in the garage or enclosed porch, free from winds and elements,  until Elsa passes.
- Rob

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 10:58:50 PM »
Agree with everything rob said, here is a pic of some ice creams I harvested last year look at the hips they are full and filled out with some lightening green/yellow color change on hips. Ice cream is the one mango I look forward too eating every year, they are not disease resistant, but worth it. This year my tree flowered like crazy as typical of ice cream though didn’t hold a single fruit unfortunately. Too much moisture from nearby sprinkler and rain at peak flowering time. Last year was unusually dry period and perfect condition for ice cream and produced fruit I’ll never forget.

-Joe

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 01:17:27 AM »
Agree with everything rob said, here is a pic of some ice creams I harvested last year look at the hips they are full and filled out with some lightening green/yellow color change on hips.

Thanx Joe for the pix of your 'Ice Creams'.  I can see just what you are describing about the very slight yellow cast showing that they are ripening.  That photo is a very helpful visual!

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 06:36:55 AM »
Agree with everything rob said, here is a pic of some ice creams I harvested last year look at the hips they are full and filled out with some lightening green/yellow color change on hips. Ice cream is the one mango I look forward too eating every year, they are not disease resistant, but worth it. This year my tree flowered like crazy as typical of ice cream though didn’t hold a single fruit unfortunately. Too much moisture from nearby sprinkler and rain at peak flowering time. Last year was unusually dry period and perfect condition for ice cream and produced fruit I’ll never forget.

-Joe
Thank you!
 Do you live in what they call the interior at least three or four miles from the coast?
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 08:54:54 AM »
I’m 5-6mi from beach in palm city, not sure what the cut off is between good/bad production.

-Joe

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 09:19:39 AM »
I’m 5-6mi from beach in palm city, not sure what the cut off is between good/bad production.

-Joe
They keep informing me that green mangoes in the interior show less color change when ripening than they do on the coast. I have never asked why and they have never explained why.
Thanks your photo is a big help :)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 10:19:25 AM »

-Joe
They keep informing me that green mangoes in the interior show less color change when ripening than they do on the coast. I have never asked why and they have never explained why.

That is true of a number of mangoes.  Your LZ should color up.  From the picture you posted of the OS tree, those look like they have colored (OS do not get a great color change, just a faint very pale yellow/orange tinge to a lighter shade of green).
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 10:54:39 AM »

-Joe

That is true of a number of mangoes.  Your LZ should color up.  From the picture you posted of the OS tree, those look like they have colored (OS do not get a great color change, just a faint very pale yellow/orange tinge to a lighter shade of green).

I'll take a close-up photo of the orange sherbert tonight when I get off work. The sweet tart also :)
This is the orange sherbet

« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 03:57:38 PM by bovine421 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2021, 04:58:03 PM »
Sweet tart

« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 05:00:53 PM by bovine421 »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 09:50:34 PM »
I was given 3 ice creams mangos and the first one was ready tonight.
WOW!!!

Does anyone know how it got it's name?
It didn't remind me of ice cream but it's not an easy taste to describe.
I just read the description on Tropical Acres website

fiberless with a very unique and complex flavor loaded with perfumy spice notes and sweetness.

Very good description Alex is a genius
I am glad I have 2 more
but I am glad it's not a 2 lb fruit

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2021, 10:16:24 PM »

Throwback to July 28, 2013 when I reviewed ice cream for first time….mango is usually passed over cause it’s small and green lol.  Supposedly from island of Tobago I believe.

-joe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk