Author Topic: Yangmei Survey Feb 2023 Group Order  (Read 717 times)

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Yangmei Survey Feb 2023 Group Order
« on: March 22, 2023, 08:04:40 PM »
Hey! I'm taking statistics class right now and it's always cool to see how data and stuff works.
I've made a short survey about your success rates on this yangmei order. This is to help benefit the community for future group buys - we will see what techniques led to the best turnout of success. Individual data will not be shared, sold, or distributed  ;). This means that we will not know that Jaboticaba45 got 5 and lost all 5... Only the data as a whole will be presented right back to the forum to further the yangmei quest. Based off the data, we may be able to draw conclusions on how to better revive bareroot yangmei.
Here's the link to the survey -
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScxHkYHM6yxp33tqOrZmY_7tDbhNI3dbv1BHoT3kTPBRpoXqw/viewform?usp=sf_link
If you have any questions, please let me know!

TropicalFruitSeeker

• Vancouver, Wa
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei Survey Feb 2023 Group Order
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 09:22:03 PM »
Quick feedback for "If you were successful in reviving trees from feb order, what varieties are growing?" Can you change it to multiple choice? I had none survive but currently it only lets you select one.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 10:34:31 PM »
Quick feedback for "If you were successful in reviving trees from feb order, what varieties are growing?" Can you change it to multiple choice? I had none survive but currently it only lets you select one.
Thank you! I have changed that.

People don't be afraid to submit a response! Responses are anonymous - even I don't know who answered!
Once again, this is just for learning and revising techniques for yangmei bareroots.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 10:38:51 PM »
Statistics is rad! Wish I paid more attention in high school but really loved taking a Bio statistics course and doing a thesis studying the evolutionary biology of serpentine endemic plants. Learned to really love statistics. You can really learn a lot.   Collect more variables and you could run a couple of different analysis to see if there were other factors that contributed to plant survival. Cool to see this, good work!
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 04:49:30 PM »
Statistics is rad! Wish I paid more attention in high school but really loved taking a Bio statistics course and doing a thesis studying the evolutionary biology of serpentine endemic plants. Learned to really love statistics. You can really learn a lot.   Collect more variables and you could run a couple of different analysis to see if there were other factors that contributed to plant survival. Cool to see this, good work!
Bio statistics seems really cool! I'm going to look more into stats. I realized that statistics can be useful in everyday life more than I thought it would.
I'll try to see what info I can draw from the data.

Thank you to the 5 people who responded! As always, the larger the sample size, the more accurate the result. If you have a spare 3 minutes to fill it out, I encourage you to!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2023, 12:51:28 PM »
I was an about to bump every single Yangmei group buy thread to ask about the long term survival rate so I’m glad you posted this thread. Based off of personal experience and from questioning others that purchased trees, the survival rate has been very low.

The survival rate also seems to depend on the variety and the size of the tree. When I received my friend’s trees in this last group buy, the roots were were completely dried out. I have quite a bit of experience with bare root trees and I’ve rehabilitated many bare root Yangmei trees from the various group buys and only two out of 9 trees from this last group buy survived.

I’ve been running many experiments on rootstocks, grafting techniques, fertilizers, humidity, lighting, and I’ve successfully grafted hundreds of Yangmei trees and my survival rate is still very low from this last group buy.

Having stated this, we go into these group buys knowing that the risks are high and the survival rates are extremely low so it should not be a shock to anyone if only 10-20% or less survive. I’m sure that some people that ordered only a few trees have zero surviving trees. There are probably also others out there that have extremely high success rate if their trees happened to be the ones towards the bottom of the box where the roots didn’t completely dry out.

These bare root trees are still the safest way to legally get these trees into the US although they can still come with unwanted hitchhikers like RKN.

Going to fill out the survey now!

Simon

Epiphyte

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • Epiphytes and Economics
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2023, 02:23:07 PM »
love the idea of a survey, but it's a bit early for me.  2 of my 10 yangmeis have only just barely started to grow...wusu and biqi.  alongside my rubras i have some small ceriferas.  they have doubled in size even though i received them a couple weeks after the rubras.  hopefully at least a couple other rubras will start to grow as the weather warms up.  this winter has been the longest i can remember.  maybe i should approach graft the ceriferas to the rubras...

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2023, 10:05:07 PM »
When do you need the surveys by?  It's still too early for me as well.  When I first received my trees, I didn't think any of them looked like they would make it.  The branches looked shriveled, and there weren't any noticeable buds.

I soaked them for a few hours in rainwater with seaweed extract, humic substances, and micronutrients and planted all 12 of them in one 10 gallon fabric pot.  I only trimmed off broken branches and made necessary cuts.  I did not wrap in buddy tape or cover with any plastic.  I had issues in the past with plastic and I didn't use buddy tape because I wanted to be able to foliar spray the branches and buds that hopefully formed.

They have been outside under a potted palm tree and surrounded by ferns.  It's been cold, with regular rain since I potted them up.  I have been feeding them with the same diluted nutrients I initially soaked them several times a week. 

Five of the trees have buds that are swelling, so I'm hopeful again.

Janet

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2023, 10:51:08 PM »
When do you need the surveys by?  It's still too early for me as well.  When I first received my trees, I didn't think any of them looked like they would make it.  The branches looked shriveled, and there weren't any noticeable buds.

I soaked them for a few hours in rainwater with seaweed extract, humic substances, and micronutrients and planted all 12 of them in one 10 gallon fabric pot.  I only trimmed off broken branches and made necessary cuts.  I did not wrap in buddy tape or cover with any plastic.  I had issues in the past with plastic and I didn't use buddy tape because I wanted to be able to foliar spray the branches and buds that hopefully formed.

They have been outside under a potted palm tree and surrounded by ferns.  It's been cold, with regular rain since I potted them up.  I have been feeding them with the same diluted nutrients I initially soaked them several times a week. 

Five of the trees have buds that are swelling, so I'm hopeful again.

Janet
I’ll leave this open for the next month or so. Will continue to bump the thread every week or so.
Nice that you’ve seen some signs of growth. All of my friends shriveled and died… the roots were super dry. But…I got some scion wood and grafted it and I see one with a bud forming. Of course it may die, but that’s nice to see anyway lol.

Also, after reading about Simons approach grafts, I’ve set one up this week. Yangmei to cerefiera.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2023, 05:48:23 PM »
Bumping this thread...Responses are open and feel free to respond once you think you're sure on your trees growing or not.
10 people have responded so far. Hoping to hit 50 people if possible. Just take your time so we don't mess up data reporting.