Author Topic: Mango ID? Large fruit somewhat similar to Madame Francis  (Read 870 times)

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
Mango ID? Large fruit somewhat similar to Madame Francis
« on: February 14, 2023, 04:23:51 PM »
My brother lives in what I believe is a historically Haitian neighborhood in Ft. Lauderdale, and his house came with a very large mango tree, far too thick to reach your arms around the trunk. We estimate 30+, maybe 50+ year old tree. There's no obvious sign of a graft, but on a gnarled old trunk that might be easy to miss.

It produces a pretty heavy crop of enormous fruit each year, and I had them send me one last year so I could try it since I'm never in south FL in the right time of year to catch them. This was apparently a little larger than average, but not the largest, weighing in at just over 3 lbs:

Here it is with a store-bought Ataulfo for comparison:

This is what it looked like fully ripened (maybe even a day or two over-ripe):

I sadly didn't take any photos of it cut open (we were camping and my hands were way too sticky, and it was devoured too fast), but here's what the seed looked like (the compass has a scale):

The seed was mono-embryonic and already very much sprouted, this is what it looked like as soon as I removed the seed case:

I'm growing the seedling in my greenhouse and it's done fine so far, but growing very slowly.

So that brings me to the point of this thread, does this fruit seem to match any known cultivars? My first guess was Madame Francis because the fruit shape seems roughly correct, but (1) these seem larger, (2) they don't turn as yellow when ripe, and (3) from what I can find Madame Francis is usually polyembryonic.

Without an obvious graft union, I'm thinking maybe this was a zygotic seedling of Madame Francis. Any other ideas?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 05:24:49 PM by drymifolia »

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango ID? Large fruit somewhat similar to Madame Francis
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 06:53:08 PM »
Dang, that's huge! What was the flavor profile? Did it have fiber? Did it ripen evenly? No clue as to what it could be, but it's impressive looking--it looks like it has muscles!

drymifolia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 07:35:27 PM »
Dang, that's huge! What was the flavor profile? Did it have fiber? Did it ripen evenly? No clue as to what it could be, but it's impressive looking--it looks like it has muscles!

No fiber at all, and a very thin seed so the two sides really were massive when I cut them off the seed. I don't have the vocabulary for giving an informed description of the flavor, but it tasted like a mango. Similar in flavor and texture to a well-ripened Ataulfo, though I should have eaten it a day or two earlier. I missed peak because I didn't realize it would stay so green, so it was slightly too soft right next to the seed, but didn't have any off flavors yet.

I'm having him send me scions for my greenhouse, but it'll be awhile before I'd trust a graft union to bear that kind of weight!

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 07:55:45 PM »
I am 99% sure your is Lancetilla. Here is my tree ripen fruit. I am not crazy about it -- almost taste like Valencia pride -- but it is a reliable fruiting many bombs good for green mango salad.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 07:59:32 PM by sapote »

drymifolia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2023, 08:01:10 PM »
I am 99% sure your is Lancetilla. Here is my tree ripen fruit. I am not crazy about it, but it is a reliable fruiting many bombs good for green mango salad.

That does look close! Most of the results online show a fruit with a pink or purple blush when unripe, and these are solid deep green, even in direct sun. Otherwise it looks real close, and Internet photos are notoriously inaccurate.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023, 08:13:30 PM »
That does look close! Most of the results online show a fruit with a pink or purple blush when unripe, and these are solid deep green, even in direct sun. Otherwise it looks real close, and Internet photos are notoriously inaccurate.

None in the pic looks like my Lance, color and shape. Maybe the climate makes the difference. Notice the dots on the skin. Most of mine turned yellow from green, and some had a little red tint if exposed to full sun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk