Author Topic: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread  (Read 59688 times)

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2022, 12:21:19 AM »
Hi Simon,

Are you treated your trees after they survive and show new grow or treated them while they were recovering?

Thanks,
Al

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2022, 01:13:49 AM »
Hey Al, I treated them pretty early on. They were recovering but had started to grow some roots and leaves. The earlier you treat the trees, the better. The RKN goes through different life stages and grows and reproduce faster when the temperature is warmer or if your trees are on a heat pad.

For the beneficial nematodes that attack the RKN, I used several treatments just to be safe.

I used the Monterey Nematode Control first to quickly wipe out any living nematodes and then I waited several weeks to a month later before using the beneficial nematodes because I didn’t want to kill the beneficial nematodes with the residual Monterey Nematode Control.

The beneficial nematodes will be longer lasting and multiple applications will ensure that eggs laid at different times will be taken care of.

Simon

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2022, 01:52:38 AM »
Got it.   Thank you very much Simon.....

From what I read online, the other method is grow French Marigold & Mustard green on the soil that infected by the RKN.  For best results, cut the leafs and cover them with soil.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 12:58:10 PM by pinkturtle »

dadloring

• Canada/BC/Victoria/Zone9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2022, 02:40:03 PM »
Wonder if Myrica pensylvanica would be a good/compatible rootstock?

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2022, 03:10:49 PM »
Wonder if Myrica pensylvanica would be a good/compatible rootstock?

One way to find out! I got lots of scionwood!

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2022, 07:30:15 PM »
Pennsylvanica is supposed to be a compatible rootstock but based on the literature, it may be a smaller stature tree so it may grow slower or it may grow to a smaller size which may be beneficial. This is just anecdotal so please don’t quote me on this.

It will be very informative if a bunch of us tested grafts on Pennsylvanica.

Simon

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2022, 07:39:45 PM »
Pennsylvanica is supposed to be a compatible rootstock but based on the literature, it may be a smaller stature tree so it may grow slower or it may grow to a smaller size which may be beneficial. This is just anecdotal so please don’t quote me on this.

Simon
I have a grafted tree that is supposedly on Pennsylvanica

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2022, 08:30:54 PM »
Here is my grafted from the last order in January.  I grafted total of 8 scions on it and 5 of them are show growing.  I got the rootstock from Brad last summer when I were at his house.

Brad, do you remember the variety of it?

« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 08:52:45 PM by pinkturtle »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2022, 09:17:56 PM »
Cerifera is fairly tollerent to RKN and flooding. Hopefully there is long term compatibility. That would open up a whole new world of possibilities here in Florida.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2022, 09:20:43 PM »
M cerifeira is tough as nails here so far. Neglected 2 clusters of seedlings in pots. Let them dry out a couple of times. Ripped them apart and repotted. None of them died.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2022, 10:54:29 PM »
Here is my grafted from the last order in January.  I grafted total of 8 scions on it and 5 of them are show growing.  I got the rootstock from Brad last summer when I were at his house.

Brad, do you remember the variety of it?

If you got it from Brad, it’s probably Californica.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2022, 10:58:35 PM »

Simon
I have a grafted tree that is supposedly on Pennsylvanica

Awesome, maybe you can ask the grafter just to be sure. I intend to graft some Pennsylvanica in n the future but the Rubra, Californica and Cerifera are keeping me busy!

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2022, 11:02:24 PM »
Galatians552 and Rob,

I do believe Cerifera will be an excellent rootstock and Florida has the advantage that it grows like weeds over there. You guys can easily top work some trees and get fruit in a couple years. Yangmei should grow like crazy in Florida because of the warm weather but I wonder how much cold stimulus it needs to fruit, if any?

Simon

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2022, 10:55:36 AM »
I read an old paper once where the University of Florida grew some from seed (they called it Red Bayberry). They grew and fruited in Gainesville, but the fruit quality was poor ("rubbery"). So, some part of Florida will have sufficient chill for them. Hopefully the quality issue will be fixed with grafted cultivars.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2022, 04:38:48 PM »
I also read something regarding fruit quality from seedling trees being subpar and thus the propagation of the named cultivars. We could get lucky however so I’m keeping at least one branch from my seedling trees just in case the fruit is good quality.

Simon

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2022, 05:37:20 PM »
Apparently Cerifera is evergreen in zone 7. My question would be would the grafts survive around here. I will be waiting until I see some life before I consider grafting.
Simon, it looks like you are the Yangmei champion. What type of graft was most successful for you and what was your success rate? Did californica or cerifera have about the same success rate? My nursery has plenty of 3 gal cerifera so I am planning on experimenting later.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2022, 07:21:25 PM »
Apparently Cerifera is evergreen in zone 7. My question would be would the grafts survive around here. I will be waiting until I see some life before I consider grafting.
Simon, it looks like you are the Yangmei champion. What type of graft was most successful for you and what was your success rate? Did californica or cerifera have about the same success rate? My nursery has plenty of 3 gal cerifera so I am planning on experimenting later.
I guess we should experiment with that in our zones. Based off of what I read, our zones seem like the northernmost edge for growing these trees. I want to trial some of these outside.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2022, 07:27:54 PM »

Sorry but that information can’t be shared at this time because of my contract. Yangmei grafts are not difficult as long as the scions and rootstocks are healthy. Since you have access to a lot of Cerifera trees, I would recommend you try grafting with your preferred method and I’m sure you will have success.

Simon

dadloring

• Canada/BC/Victoria/Zone9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2022, 09:03:50 PM »
Beyond the 90 day stratification, any other helpful tips germinating M. Californica? Just got a couple hundred seeds to be used as root stock.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2022, 10:01:05 PM »

Sorry but that information can’t be shared at this time because of my contract. Yangmei grafts are not difficult as long as the scions and rootstocks are healthy. Since you have access to a lot of Cerifera trees, I would recommend you try grafting with your preferred method and I’m sure you will have success.

Simon
Got it  ;). Thanks!

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2022, 10:46:36 PM »
I didn’t sprout any Californica seeds, I bought a lot of rootstocks last year and have been using those for my experiments. My Californica rootstocks responded really well to fertilizers. They seem to be relatively drought tolerant but grows faster with frequent watering in dry weather.

Simon

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2022, 12:50:39 PM »
I found this website regarding why no fruit set for YangMei.  It is in Chinese.  If anyone interested, go check it out and Google translate it.

https://kknews.cc/news/b2oy2gn.html

Summary:
1.  Fertilize cow/sheep manure three times a year, mid Feb, Mid May, and mid Aug.
2.  2 male trees for 50 - 60 female trees
3.  Prune the tree in crown shape and let the tree expo to the sun.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 02:54:36 PM by pinkturtle »

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2022, 01:54:39 PM »
I found this website regarding why no fruit set for YangMei.  It is in Chinese.  If anyone interested, go check it out and Google translate it.

Summary:
1.  Fertilize cow/sheep manure three times a year, mid Feb, Mid May, and mid Aug.
3.  Prune the tree in crown sharp and let the tree expo to the sun.
Might I assume that "in crown sharp" means "in crown shape"?

Ok, so
1. Fertilize with some nitrogen
2. Have a male (but must they be the same cultivar)
3. Prune tree in crown shape sounds like how you do a stone fruit where you take out the central leader to promote the side shoots.

That's some good info pinkturtle. :D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 02:36:08 PM by CarolinaZone »

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2022, 02:28:20 PM »

Summary:
3.  Prune the tree in crown sharp and let the tree expo to the sun.
Might I assume that "in crown sharp" means "in crown shape"?

Ok, so
1. Fertilize with some nitrogen
2. Have a male (but must the be the same cultivar)
3. Prune tree in crown shape sounds like how you do a stone fruit where you take out the central leader to promote the side shoots.

That's some good info pinkturtle. :D

Oh wow, you need same cultivar in male?? Not sure if that makes sense. Let’s say you develop a new variety. How would you have both a male and female of that variety?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2022, 02:32:43 PM »
Great information,

Exposure to sun affects the DLI (Daily Light Integral) so that makes sense and opening up the canopy by removing the central leader will help keep the fruiting wood lower and will make for easier picking.

If you watch the Chinese Yangmei videos, you will see these trees on (I assume) Rubra rootstock gets huge. Pruning the trees to create an open vase/center may keep the trees more manageable although my trees have so far naturally formed a low umbrella shaped canopy.

In terms of treatment of Yangmei trees, I see some similarities with Yangmei and my other favorite fruit the Lychee. Both Lychees and Yangmei ( as with many trees) seem to benefit from a nice thick mulch layer and they can both have associations with beneficial organisms in their rhizosphere so taking care of the beneficial organisms by creating a dynamic mix of decomposed plant materials of different sizes and stages of decomposition will create an insulating layer of mulch to insulate the rhizosphere and its organisms from extreme shifts in temperature and humidity.

Both Lychees and Yangmei seem to benefit from occasional supplements with Iron.

Simon