Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Taste of Sanbokan sweet lemon vs New Zealand Lemonde

(1/5) > >>

Tortuga:
I havent tasted a Lemonade lemon yet but I got my first Sanbokan sweet lemons off my tree and it was amazing eaten out of hand and in lemonade.

It makes me wonder if anyone has tasted both or have both trees and have a good taste profile between the two.

(Sanbokan may be my new favorite lemon variety. I may need to experiment crossing it with my Ugli fruit for a Frankenstein pomelo)

1rainman:
Meyer x ugli would be good. I eat Meyers like an orange. Only slightly bitter but tolerable. Very faint tangerine or grapefruit notes occasionally which enhances it but mostly really good lemon flavor and smell without the overwhelming bitterness.

sc4001992:
I have both Sanbokan and New Zealand lemon trees (grafted branches). The New Zealand lemon is much sweeter than Sanbokan. I also like Sanbokan but they do not taste the same.

As for comparing the tree growth/vigor, the Sanbokan is much stronger than the New Zealand lemon. My grafts of the New Zealand lemon grows slowly, Sanbokan probably grows 2x or 3x faster. Fruit production is about the same, Sanbokan fruits are much larger so you don't need as many fruits.

poncirsguy:
SC  Thank you.

pagnr:
I thought Sanbokan had a better complexity of flavour than NZ Lemonade, but that is very subjective.
Eating vs Juicing could also make a difference.
I agree not the same.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version