Author Topic: Campomanesia schlectendaliana toast  (Read 907 times)

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
Campomanesia schlectendaliana toast
« on: January 29, 2023, 08:11:14 PM »

Very delicious. 

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Re: Campomanesia schlectendaliana toast
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 09:59:10 PM »
whats the verdict on this one lance?

the Ferns gave it 2/5 but IIRC you have a good one?

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 05:30:28 PM »

Off-topic but I really want to know what they base their edibility rating on. Jelly Palm, Jojoba, Genip and Wild Coffee (bleh!) are all also 2/5 and those are WILDLY different food experiences. They've got to be weighting at least somewhat on some kind of ease of collection/ accessibility/ nutritional value, right? Because if it's taste, I need to know what kind of rice got a 5/5 when jaboticaba gets a 3/5 and apricot-tasting jelly palm is hanging out down at 2 on the same score as freaking jojoba.

That said I still want to know the answer to this one since I'm curious too.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 06:07:00 PM »

I am deeply interested in campomanesias as well and want to hear more firsthand taste reviews on them. They are bulletproof for me in 9b and I way prefer their look and growth habits compared to most eugenias, even.

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 09:03:49 PM »
So the processing of the 'jam' is not ideal. 
I picked the fruits when they fell.  Cleaned them up.  These fruits that fell were ready to eat.  The outer skin has a bit of velvety touch to it and when you gently squeeze the fruit between your fingers, it's soft and can easy break the skin.  the core of the fruit has that cluster of the flesh is stuck to the seeds.  DO NOT bite into the seeds.  SUPER astringent/bitter.  Enough to make you never want to eat the fruit again.  So I just popped the seeds in my mouth and gently sucked what flesh I could off the seeds and saved them.  Then. there is this layer flesh that is remaining on the side part of the skin. That is the pulp that I gently spooned up and put on the toast. 

Taste... It's like a very aromatic almost want to say pungent guava taste.  Literally the part that I put on the toast has an almost paste like texture. maybe a little grainy.  There's an element of muskiness to it too (i'm not sure if that's the right word to use).

When we had the 2019 HTFG Conference in Kona, Antonio Morschbacker brought some different jams/jellies from Brazil.  One was pitangatuba (wow) and the other was the Campomanesia schlectendaliana. It was super delicious.  But I still cant get over how you would efficiently remove the seeds without letting any strays not finding their way to the jam and giving someone a horrible surprise. 

Most importantly, I like the fact that this species at least in Hawaii is prolific.  Almost throughout the whole year you can collect fruits. I have a flowering Campomanesia macrobracteolata and curious to see if they're going to be generous bearers as schelectendaliana. 

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 09:09:00 PM »
Thanks for the writeup

Makes me wonder if it is the one I tried at Fruit and Spice park that was just marked Campomanesia spp. the texture and taste sound similar

There are seed processors for removing them from things like cactus fruit but I think they are a bit pricey

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 09:49:31 PM »
Thanks for the writeup

Makes me wonder if it is the one I tried at Fruit and Spice park that was just marked Campomanesia spp. the texture and taste sound similar

There are seed processors for removing them from things like cactus fruit but I think they are a bit pricey

i figure if you're going into it to make money, you'd invest in a machine that would do the job.  But the backyard guys like us, it's just a spoon and the long finger nail.  I'm sure the Health Department would love to hear that....gross...why is there a bandaid in my campomanesia jam?!?!?!?!

But I can't emphasize how nice the flavor is. 

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2023, 12:52:25 PM »
Does a strainer not work? Heat up the fruit in a pot, add sugar, cook down, then pour through a strainer? Maybe cooking the seeds would impart bad flavors. Thanks for the taste report.

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 04:52:22 AM »
Does a strainer not work? Heat up the fruit in a pot, add sugar, cook down, then pour through a strainer? Maybe cooking the seeds would impart bad flavors. Thanks for the taste report.

Moved out of my house and lost track of many things. Yes...i should spend the $2 for a strainer.  But heating it up idk if that would extract the bitterness.  in any case, i this one is worth trying to grow. 

but then again, it seems like lots of the campomanesias return with good flavor reports.  I will say phaea is not sweet at all so needs some sugar/processing to make it tasty. 

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2023, 09:12:46 AM »
Excellent write up and review.  Based on your description, it sounds like the edibility rating 2/5 bananas is correct on theferns. Although the flavor description sounds interesting, almost enticing, the bitter seeds sound like too much hassle to deal with if you just want to eat the fruit.  Images of the fruit cut open show the entire interior is seeds.  I will pass on growing this one, but really appreciate the review.

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 05:10:49 AM »
Excellent write up and review.  Based on your description, it sounds like the edibility rating 2/5 bananas is correct on theferns. Although the flavor description sounds interesting, almost enticing, the bitter seeds sound like too much hassle to deal with if you just want to eat the fruit.  Images of the fruit cut open show the entire interior is seeds.  I will pass on growing this one, but really appreciate the review.

there are better fruits to be honest.  jacks, durians mangos star apples etc.  but when you want somethign different i would say this is the one.  plus (I can only say this is for hawaii), aside from wi apple and papayas, and a few others, this camp is fruiting year round.  that in itself is a plus.