Author Topic: Finger lime in bloom. Need pollen.  (Read 1115 times)

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
Finger lime in bloom. Need pollen.
« on: June 01, 2023, 09:41:22 PM »
My finger lime just opened several flowers this afternoon.  I had not even noticed it had buds.  So I'd like to pollinate it with P. trifoliata or its hybrids.  Second choice would be seedless Kishu.  Third choice would be any of the hardier citrus.  Would pay for your time getting the pollen and mailing, either in money or a share of the seeds, if any seeds come of it.

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
Re: Finger lime in bloom. Need pollen.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 12:06:48 PM »
My Morton  bloomed yesterday but the anthers did not produce pollen, if you still have flowers in a few weeks and the next set of blooms make pollen I will save some for you

Walt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 02:44:56 AM »
That would be great if it works out.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 04:46:07 AM »
You want to try the Banpeiyu pollen?

Walt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 02:48:18 AM »
I'll try it,  I had to google Banpeiyu  to find out what it is,  Not many buds left  But if pollen doesn't get here in time for these flowers, I'll freeze it for later.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2023, 01:08:59 PM »
Morton would be a good cross sense it's fairly edible. I'd like to see it crossed with sugar bell to get some hlb tolerant crosses. Rio red grapefruit would be good pollen.

Walt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2023, 02:25:59 PM »
I agree that it  would be a good cross.  And it would add some cold hardiness abd genera vigor.   But my first priority is winter hardiness.  Crossing with Morton give its hybrids  another zone or maybe two.  Sp Ponciris is my first choice.
I wasn't prepared because I didn't expect my finger lime to bloom so small.  My bad.
I'm thinking I might start a library of citrus pollen so if anyone wants pollen for a cross, I can send it.  And if anybody has pollen they might like someone to use, it can be stored until wanted.

Perplexed

• 7b/8a GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2023, 06:04:25 PM »
Walt I would be interested in that idea. I have an ichang papeda and would like to cross it with other sp. like poncirus, and its hybrids.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2023, 08:21:55 PM »
With grapes pollen it needs dried out and stored in a freezer to last a year. Even then it's not as good as fresh and after a year goes down to barely viable at all. Fridge helps some. Room temperature won't stay viable for too long. Maybe a few months.

What about sun dragon? 1/8 poncirus and good fruit without off flavors.

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2023, 09:24:02 PM »
All of my Morton flowers were without pollen, 3 in total, maybe next season! It did set a fruit, it will probably be seedless

Walt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2023, 10:48:04 PM »
With grapes pollen it needs dried out and stored in a freezer to last a year. Even then it's not as good as fresh and after a year goes down to barely viable at all. Fridge helps some. Room temperature won't stay viable for too long. Maybe a few months.

What about sun dragon? 1/8 poncirus and good fruit without off flavors.

So its hybrids would get 1/16 Pt from it.  Not a lot but if mated with the right other parent could give something interesting.  Not every cross has to be aimed towaed my zone 6.  You folks in zones 7 and 8 could use more diversity in your citrus groves.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2023, 09:51:52 AM »
You could then cross them back to Morton or something. They are selling sun dragon in Georgia but it's sold out. No Florida source that I can find. So if it's grown in Georgia cold tolerance must be decent.

Walt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2023, 11:05:57 PM »
Here's a link on how to store citrus pollen.
file:///C:/Users/User2/Downloads/hortsci-article-p81-1.pdf
Cold, dry and oxygen free.  Either Nitrogen or carbon dioxide.  I'll be rereading that paper to get more details.
 Searching youtube only gave me diretions on how to self pollinate citrus to get more fruit.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2023, 10:28:33 AM »
You can just use a ziplock bag and let as much air out as possible. But dry the pollen first such as in a paper bag or on a plate where it can breathe and get dry. I made the mistake of not doing that and it molds and rots. Then you can put in the fridge or freezer. Below freezing will kill some pollen but in the long run preserve it better than the fridge for long term storage. You'll still get a lot of dead pollen but you'll have enough in a year maybe two years to pollinate. After that there's not much viable pollen left but you could try it. Second year has barely any viable even in the freezer. It's.the same for citrus or grapes as far as I know.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2023, 03:44:09 PM »
Here's a link on how to store citrus pollen.
file:///C:/Users/User2/Downloads/hortsci-article-p81-1.pdf
Cold, dry and oxygen free.  Either Nitrogen or carbon dioxide.  I'll be rereading that paper to get more details.
 Searching youtube only gave me diretions on how to self pollinate citrus to get more fruit.

Walt you must upload this PDF somewhere, forum users won't be able to view the file you linked to as it is to your own computer files.