Author Topic: compact lemon options  (Read 518 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
compact lemon options
« on: July 24, 2021, 12:35:24 PM »
Right now I have Eureka, Lisbon, St Teresa, Meyer, and Sunquat.   Only the meyer and sunquat are anything close to compact but they don't have the true lemon taste.  I bought the Lisbon to try grafting onto Flying Dragon, but the parent plant looks so vigorous that I'm doubtful that even the dwarfing rootstock will keep it tame. 

this site seems to suggest Lisbon-on-Flying-Dragon is workable:
https://boutiquecitrus.com.au/finger-lime-recipes-and-ideas/

and here's a picture of what I am guessing is Lisbon-on-Flying-Dragon:

I guess I will have to try it and see.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
Re: compact lemon options
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 12:40:36 PM »
Go for it.  I have 2 Fukushu kumquats on Flying dragon and it is more compact than the Fukushu on C35 or on its own roots

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 12:50:10 AM »
Yes, if you graft lemon on FD it will not grow much. I grafted Lisbon & Yuzu, and both are slow growing on this tree.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 09:31:57 PM »
Good to hear.  Is yuzu normally very vigorous?  I don't know much about it but I intend to get one when I can find it.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 01:24:08 AM »
Yuzu has not been a vigorous grower for me. I hear some people have problems trying to keep it growing well, not sure why.  I had my grafted Yuzu on FD for over 10 years and it grew only 3 ft with some side branches. I do get fruits on it but not much. I plan to graft it on another rootstock (macrophylla) and get some more Yuzu cuttings from CCPP in case I got a dud the first time.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 09:23:58 AM »
Your twig is not a dud.  Use the scion of your current tree and graft.  I give my flying dragon 16 hours of light from September till June

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 01:06:06 PM »
poncirsguy, I will do that as well, but I also want to try new budwood cuttings because it is always good to try to get it from a few different trees. I had similar experience with my NZ lemon cuttings, the first ones I grafted hardly grew (12" long) in 2 years, then I grafted a few new budwood and it had many fruits and grew 3 ft in one year. For all my fruit trees, I always like to get a few different sources or cuttings from different trees for the same variety I'm trying to grow and get fruits. I do this (multiple sources) for all my loquats, mulberry, citrus, persimmon, figs, etc.

I really don't use any of my Yuzu fruits, only give them away but recently more friends/relatives wanted the fruit so I guess I will need to get the grafts to grow faster/more fruits.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk