Author Topic: Help with ID'ing Passiflora  (Read 403 times)

armstrongben82

• USA, Brooklyn, WI 5a
    • View Profile
Help with ID'ing Passiflora
« on: July 13, 2022, 12:01:50 AM »
It's been quite a while since I've been on here, but just picked up a passiflora plant from the local nursery and unfortunately that's all the label said, "passiflora." Of course, no one there knew exactly what species it was. Anyway, I was hoping someone on here might have an idea what we have here. The fragrance is really nice and I have no fruit yet.

jbclem

• USA, California, Topanga, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Help with ID'ing Passiflora
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 04:30:19 AM »
My suggestion is to call the nursery and speak with their buyer.  He/she'll know which supplier it came from, and either the buyer or the supplier should be able to tell you the variety.  Also, the label might have the name of the supplier. 

I have a Frederick passiflora, which is very common here in S. Calif.  I don't have any flowers right now to compare, but your photos don't quite ring a bell.  When you get some fruit, if they are purple that could be a passiflora edulis variety (Frederick, Purple Possum).

Go to etsy.com and search for passiflora, you'll find many photos of passiflora flowers.  I see one named passiflora belotti that looks like your flower photos.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 04:55:49 AM by jbclem »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 07:23:51 AM »
Looks like a hybrid with P. caerulea to me. The P. Belotti mentioned above is one such hybrid, and the picture and description seem to match.

armstrongben82

• USA, Brooklyn, WI 5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 07:49:54 AM »
Thank you both for your replies. I did some research on the passiflora belotti that you both mentioned and I think you are absolutely correct. It also matches up on the fragrance. The buyer at the nursery unfortunately only had it referenced as "passiflora" from the wholesaler. I'm pretty sure they use a broker in Florida for all their tropicals and houseplants since I've had issues with no ID on other stuff from them.  Thanks again!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk