Author Topic: Orange Frost ready to be picked?  (Read 2538 times)

vanman

• Jenks, OK 7a
    • View Profile
Orange Frost ready to be picked?
« on: August 25, 2016, 12:18:22 PM »
This orange frost was purchased this late spring.  It had the three fruits on it.  It was put into the ground next to the GH.  The fruits are starting to turn orange.  There has been growth of this tree at all.  On the other hand an artic frost that has purchased at the same time also in the ground has grown to about double it size. 

Are these satsumas ready to be picked?  Should I have discarded the fruit early on to put more energy into the plant?  Given a choice, should I have even got this plant with the fruit on it or should I have taken another without fruit?  Thanks, Van

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
Re: Orange Frost ready to be picked?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 05:17:08 PM »
I'd wait until Thanksgiving to pick fruit. Yes you gave up
growth to get fruit.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 09:54:32 AM »
That tree should not be holding fruit. You not only have stunted it but I've seen "stuff" come very close to death by holding the fruit when the root and foliage mass can not properly support it.

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 11:12:41 AM »
I've had things die when stressed from being overloaded but I think that little tree will be ok. It would have been better to take those fruit off but it's his tree and I'm sure vanman was excited to have his first crop. Vanman, you seem interested in learning and you are at the right place to learn a lot.

I'm not an expert but I think with decent care the tree should be fine. I guess Murcott is the worst about dying after a huge crop on a small tree. The first fruit on young trees are not representative of future taste.

I would be surprised if the little tree has a big crop next year. On the other hand the other Artic Frost purchased at the same time is growing better and I'm guessing it has no fruit. The tree with no fruit will probably have a big crop next year.

I'd say vanman has brilliantly set himself up to have a crop each year by coordinating his off years between two trees. He could take all fruit off the pictured orange frost next year and look really smart by coming back the following year with a huge crop.....maybe ! Don't count your chickens before they hatch. The pictured little tree has two winters to survive before the 'big' crop. Good luck with your Orange Frost and Artic Frost vanman ! Tom
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 12:20:43 PM by Tom »

vanman

• Jenks, OK 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 12:49:05 AM »
I really do not have the patients for this.  That's why I left the fruit on (also, I did not how much leaving the fruit on would affect it).  Thank for the replies.  I will try to exercise more patients next time. 

On a side note, I have orange and arctic frost grafted separately on trifoliate rootstock.  These are also planted outside against a south wall.  They have both pushed. The arctic frost has had 2-3 growths since the spring.  The orange frost has only pushed and has not had any growth since.  Maybe the orange frost is not as vigorous.  Van

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 08:41:01 AM »
One thing gardening will teach you is "patients".   :)  You can't force plant material in general.  Yes you can give it more nutrients, increase N and such but it's best to read your plants and be there to support, not push.  When the plant/tree goes into a reproductive mode it tends to put foliage and root production on the back burner.  That stresses the (newly planted) tree, big time.

Having said that, now is the time to stop fertilizing any citrus especially as far north as OK.

Good luck!

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 12:00:47 PM »
Satsumas are normally eatable before the peel turns fully yellow. - Millet

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 05:07:11 PM »
Yes, but when they turn orange have a sweeter taste :)

vanman

• Jenks, OK 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 08:24:09 AM »
     I picked one of the orange frost last week.  It was seedless.  It had good mandarin flavor but was still a little too tart for me.  I will wait another month before picking again. 
     What is the range of time that satsumas can be picked?  Van

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 09:23:49 PM »
I think it was last year that mine were not fully orange until December, and I still had some with some green spots in January. They were all very good: Kimbrough and owari. The ones I took for show at southeast citrus expo last November were green on outside and orange inside. My Meiwa kumquat were green in November and not ripe for eating until spring/April. My Meiwa doesn't bloom until mid summer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk