Author Topic: Louisiana Satsuma / Citrus?  (Read 2464 times)

Isaac-1

• western Louisiana zone 8b/9a line
    • View Profile
Louisiana Satsuma / Citrus?
« on: September 02, 2016, 10:34:13 AM »
Does anyone know of a legal Louisiana source for any of the newer interesting Satsuma or other cold hardy citrus varieties?  The only varieties that have been released in the last 20 years that I can find here are St Ann's and Louisiana Early.

Ike

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Louisiana Satsuma / Citrus?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 07:56:53 PM »
Star Nursery (Louisiana):  http://www.starnurserybellechasse.com
Millet

Isaac-1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 08:30:21 PM »
Do they have some varieties that I are not listed on their product pages?, because the only Satsuma varieties I see listed there that have been released in the last 20 years are the already mentioned St Anns and LA Early

buddinman

• USA,TEXAS. Lumberton, 8, 77657
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 03:28:07 AM »
The Louisiana citrus center at Port Sulphur LA has been shut down for several years.

Isaac-1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 06:01:03 PM »
Just to follow up here, I contacted Star Nursery, and received an email back saying they were considering offering Miho and to check back with them in about a month when they do their grafting.  I tried checking with Saxon Becnel (the other big citrus nursery in the state), but their web page seems to be broken and just comes up with database errors.

buddinman

• USA,TEXAS. Lumberton, 8, 77657
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 07:12:48 PM »
Brown Select is an LSU release, a great satsuma and Star  Nursery should have it.

Isaac-1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 08:17:33 PM »
It is, and while I am not growing it yet, it is on my planting list for this year if I can find a good one at a local nursery (last year the few Brown Selects I found looked sort of like the last picked over christmas trees at the tree lots the night before Christmas).  I planted 5 new citrus trees early last spring, 3 of which were Satsumas (St. Ann, La Early, and Armstrong Early) to complement my 3 mature Satsuma trees (Owari?), and to replace others which had died off during more severe winters the last several years. 

My goal is to get a variety of flavors and spread out the harvest season, as the 3 mature Satsuma trees produce far more fruit than we can use, in fact it was even more than we managed to give away last year.  So part of the appeal of Miho for me is that all reports show it to be a much smaller lower yielding variety that only gets to about half the size of Owari, the fact it is reported to be particularly cold hardy would be nice as well, as I am quickly running out of sheltered locations with good southern exposure and sunlight, and easy access to electricity for heat lamps, but have plenty of good more remote, but less sheltered locations in the yard for more cold hardy trees.

I am doing the same with Non-citrus fruit, I am slowly replacing a number of old, and no longer productive peach trees (staggering this over the next few years so they don't all become old and unproductive at once again), as well as adding more varieties of blueberries to spread out the harvest season, planting of  thornless blackberries as in the past we have always picked native thorny blackerries, and the idea of thornless with much larger fruit is something I find appealing.