Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Difference between Ziziphus Jujuba and Mauritiana?

<< < (2/2)

Eggo:
You can identify the seedlings/species by the difference in the leaves. Z. Jujuba leaves is a solid color top and bottom. Z. Mauritiana has a darker green on the top side of the leaves, the underside is this lighter green grayish color.

Galatians522:

--- Quote from: tropic_tester on March 27, 2023, 03:40:11 AM ---
--- Quote from: Galatians522 on March 26, 2023, 09:38:23 PM ---Z. Jujuba is the Chinese Jujube. It needs some chill to bloom and fruit. Z. Mauritania is the Indian Jujube. It is still deciduois in my experience, but will fruit with little to no chill. It is not as high a quality fruit from what i have been told.

--- End quote ---

Interesting, maybe my understanding was incorrect. My understanding from my local fb gardening groups has been that Thai jujube is a variety of Indian jujube and that it's quite good and juicy. I was also under the impression that Indian jujube is not graft compatible with a normal jujube since the rootstock would go dormant and the scion would die. The seedling that sprouted is quite young so it's a little too early probably for me to determine growth habits. I guess I'll wait a bit before I make a decision on what to do with it.

--- End quote ---

I have never eaten the Chinese. The Thai jujube seedllings I have tried were only mildly sweet unless picked just as they start to get yellow. If they get to the brown stage, they develop a funky flavor that I don't particularly care for. Eaten yellow, they are a good fruit, just not as sweet as what I have heard the Chinese is.

All the fruit:
I really like the Chinese. Crunchy and slightly sour when half ripe, soft when ripe, tough when dried, nice and sweet. Most varieties of mauritiana i have tried taste of puke, not so nice

tropic_tester:

--- Quote from: All the fruit on March 28, 2023, 04:50:26 AM ---I really like the Chinese. Crunchy and slightly sour when half ripe, soft when ripe, tough when dried, nice and sweet. Most varieties of mauritiana i have tried taste of puke, not so nice

--- End quote ---

okay cool, i guess i can put assembling an edible variety of z.mauritiana lower on my to-do lists. I'm trying a lot of experiments so if it's not worth the effort i'll re-prioritize hahaha. I'll revisit once the seedling is more established maybe haha

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version