Author Topic: Anyone tasted an Oro Negro avocado?  (Read 42379 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone tasted an Oro Negro avocado?
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2012, 07:20:41 AM »
Roger that, I'm out of mulch, but I'll get some this week. I've mulched all of my trees for that purpose and to help retain some H2O. It's crazy, the mulch will stay moist but the sand is is still bone dry at 2" below the surface.

I have a garden center near me that has what they call topsoil. But really it is compost, black, full of humus. My guess it is mostly rotted tree chippings. Price was $20/cubic yard and you shovel it into the back of your pickup truck. If you  have a nursery like this near you, you can jump past the mulch stage. This will make your soil black today 8)  I don't have pickup truck so could not do right now but.....

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2012, 07:48:03 AM »
Zands,
You can rent trucks and dump trailers rather cheap for a half day.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2012, 08:47:05 AM »
Back to the Oro Negro. Yesterday one fruit was on the ground. It had turned black 90%. I also picked another fruit from the tree to see how it ripens off the tree. One thing I notice is that this avocado is very susceptible to skin disease. All late fruit in So. Florida needs to get sprayed  and we had a lot of rain. But I would say is more susceptible than Monroes. Will report on taste in a few days.

The one in the lelt was 19.9 oz the right 22.9oz

Now there is a lot of skin diseases more than one

On both fruits

Very similar to a Monroe that was not sprayed. With the observation that the Oro Negro is more susceptible. This really puts a question on this variety as far as commercial cultivation.  I will spray next year to see how it goes.

This picture is of a Monroe not sprayed.

Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2012, 10:31:11 AM »
pardon my ignorance, but what do you spray on them? some kind of fungicide like copper or sulfur or something else?
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2012, 10:37:33 AM »
OT but I am glad to see so many Florida avocados in the regular stores. Been that way for months. Yesterday I saw some that looked like Lula going $1 each at Aldi. So in Fl you can buy a California Hass that has1/2 the amount of flesh for the same price.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2012, 10:58:34 AM »
pardon my ignorance, but what do you spray on them? some kind of fungicide like copper or sulfur or something else?
The summer sprays consist of Copper. In the winter oil and some insecticide depending.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2012, 06:57:11 PM »
Cool, just wanted to get an idea what these babies may need.   I am new to the Avocado thing, so any info helps,  I had one more question, maybe you or someone else can help.

I brought over an Oro Negro last month,  the tree was really nice looking one I got from Bender,  but for shipping I had to pug it, and bare root it, I left some leaves on it though.  the roots were wrapped in humid paper towels, then wrapped in plastic,  it only stayed this way 1 day.  I potted it up as soon as possible.

after a few days the leaves fell off, but the stem/trunk looks healthy and green.  but its been a week and no new leaves.

I guess my questions are, can Avocado go dormant? or could this be because of shock?  its been a month now, and nothing , but still green. any tips?

A previous avocado I shipped like this ( Fla Hass ) flushed new leaves right away,  also a Lychee, and Kesar mango popped out new leaves , as a matter of fact, I was most worried about the Lychee, because the dang root ball was so big I had to remove over half of them for shipping, yet its doing nice.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2012, 07:03:30 PM »
So I guess this isn't the perfect Florida avocado after all if it's susceptible to skin disease.  Would the home gardener have this problem as much as the commercial grower?
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2012, 07:07:58 PM »
Cool, just wanted to get an idea what these babies may need.   I am new to the Avocado thing, so any info helps,  I had one more question, maybe you or someone else can help.

I brought over an Oro Negro last month,  the tree was really nice looking one I got from Bender,  but for shipping I had to pug it, and bare root it, I left some leaves on it though.  the roots were wrapped in humid paper towels, then wrapped in plastic,  it only stayed this way 1 day.  I potted it up as soon as possible.

after a few days the leaves fell off, but the stem/trunk looks healthy and green.  but its been a week and no new leaves.

I guess my questions are, can Avocado go dormant? or could this be because of shock?  its been a month now, and nothing , but still green. any tips?

A previous avocado I shipped like this ( Fla Hass ) flushed new leaves right away,  also a Lychee, and Kesar mango popped out new leaves , as a matter of fact, I was most worried about the Lychee, because the dang root ball was so big I had to remove over half of them for shipping, yet its doing nice.
You are probably better off taking 4-5 pieces of bud wood and grafting into a 5-7 gal seedling. Send me PM if you need some.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2012, 07:15:10 PM »
So I guess this isn't the perfect Florida avocado after all if it's susceptible to skin disease.  Would the home gardener have this problem as much as the commercial grower?
John the Home garden is a totally different thing. You can keep a tree small and spray it several times a year for a few dollars. In a commercial environment large trees require a large mist sprayer that cost several thousand dollars so every time you spray it takes form your bottom line. Specially when the grower makes very little and the packing house and the retail store makes most of the profits.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2012, 07:59:18 PM »

You are probably better off taking 4-5 pieces of bud wood and grafting into a 5-7 gal seedling. Send me PM if you need some.

Thanks Carlos, I may do that, but still holding out hope for this Oro Negro.  I will be back in Fla in early Dec.  I would love to come down and visit and see your orchard. I might learn something :)
William

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2012, 07:49:59 PM »
The day arrived. Finally I was able to taste an Oro Negro from my tree. The fruit has a few scabs that did not affect the inside. I picked two fruits back on Nov 21. One I had to throw away due to Anthracnose wounds.  In a summer where we had over 100 inches of rain this type of contamination is to be expected, specially If you do not spray. Most of my Monroes are blemished as well.  We have been eating Monroes for a few days, they are great. Oro Negro is a lot creamier. Exactly as I remember a couple of years ago. The fruit a bit smaller, seed a bit bigger, but great creamy taste. Should make excellent guacamole. A most in a late fruit avocado  collection. The fruit in this picture was picked about 50% black it got blacker as it ripen. I was afraid to let it go 100% black and loose it to rodents or resident Peacocks.  We may have to spray this a bit more. We'll see how next year goes. Definite A+++
My wife had the last word at dinner tonight."Much better than the Monroe we had yesterday" and that is what counts.

Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2012, 09:52:23 PM »
The inside of that baby looks yummy!
John

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2012, 10:14:11 PM »
The day arrived. Finally I was able to taste an Oro Negro from my tree.

Looking good! Florida should be growing millions of them and making money exporting them to Northern states. The American Hass obsession is unjustified. Carlos, what is your opinion and wife's on the watery avocados of Florida?

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2012, 10:50:17 PM »
The American Hass obsession is unjustified. Carlos, what is your opinion and wife's on the watery avocados of Florida?
Hass is a great avocado, I enjoy eating a good one that has been properly matured on the tree and properly stored by the retailer, that is probably 2 out of 10. On the question on the "watery Florida Avocados" Is the market place that has created them. A low oil avocado, can be flavorful in its own way, the problem is that consumers don't get to pick by variety, every thing is grouped into Florida Green avocados. Retailers buy the least expensive fruit to make the most profit.  There are light oil avocados that are flavorful in their own way. Take a Pollock, or a Dupuis. The Dupuis is an early fruit right at the same time as Donnies. It taste 100% better than Donnie but produces 50% less fruit. If store buyers would order Dupuis instead of Donnies, the Dupuis will go up in price and it will make up for lower production. .....Well I could go on and on about this........... On a Final note, I'm very encouraged by the line up of Hawaiian avocados some of us are experimenting with.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2012, 07:01:18 AM »
The American Hass obsession is unjustified. Carlos, what is your opinion and wife's on the watery avocados of Florida?
Hass is a great avocado, I enjoy eating a good one that has been properly matured on the tree and properly stored by the retailer, that is probably 2 out of 10. On the question on the "watery Florida Avocados" Is the market place that has created them. A low oil avocado, can be flavorful in its own way, the problem is that consumers don't get to pick by variety, every thing is grouped into Florida Green avocados. Retailers buy the least expensive fruit to make the most profit.  There are light oil avocados that are flavorful in their own way. Take a Pollock, or a Dupuis. The Dupuis is an early fruit right at the same time as Donnies. It taste 100% better than Donnie but produces 50% less fruit. If store buyers would order Dupuis instead of Donnies, the Dupuis will go up in price and it will make up for lower production. .....Well I could go on and on about this........... On a Final note, I'm very encouraged by the line up of Hawaiian avocados some of us are experimenting with.
To add to what Carlos said as to the "watery" avocado...most of the varieties that are "labeled" as watery and milder flavored with less oil content are the early avocados.  I believe part of the problem is that they are affected by the Florida rainy season which either gives them or enhances their wateryness (nice word, huh).  The other issue that I believe is more of a scientific reason is that these ripen when our temps are very warm, or even downright hot.  This will affect the level of oil content and ability to produce that same characteristic that is found in the later season, or cooler month avocados.  The fattiest of the earlier season avocados is the Day.
- Rob

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2012, 08:02:48 AM »
Rob,
What's the season for the day avocado?  How does it compare to brogdon?

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2012, 08:27:30 AM »
Dupuis are a great alternative for an early fruit. You can start picking in Mid June right up to August. The longer the better. Also they have a peculiarity that the last fruit set, stays rather small in the 12oz range, with a very small seeds, these hang on to the tree longer. They are one of the nicest avocados. On the other hand the early set fruit can get in the 2 lb range. For some reason, some have given this variety  a bad rap. I have 8 year old trees producing an average of 85 lbs. Commercially not ideal but for a home owner that wants good early fruit with a long picking range is an excellent choice. Friends and relatives now ask for them by name. Its is also a disease resistant cultivar
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2012, 11:21:43 AM »
The day arrived. Finally I was able to taste an Oro Negro from my tree. The fruit has a few scabs that did not affect the inside. I picked two fruits back on Nov 21. One I had to throw away due to Anthracnose wounds.  In a summer where we had over 100 inches of rain this type of contamination is to be expected, specially If you do not spray. Most of my Monroes are blemished as well.  We have been eating Monroes for a few days, they are great. Oro Negro is a lot creamier. Exactly as I remember a couple of years ago. The fruit a bit smaller, seed a bit bigger, but great creamy taste. Should make excellent guacamole. A most in a late fruit avocado  collection. The fruit in this picture was picked about 50% black it got blacker as it ripen. I was afraid to let it go 100% black and loose it to rodents or resident Peacocks.  We may have to spray this a bit more. We'll see how next year goes. Definite A+++
My wife had the last word at dinner tonight."Much better than the Monroe we had yesterday" and that is what counts.

Carlos
that avocado looks good! Julie Frink grows 400 varieties, some west indian type avocados, at the reserch station at Irvine and they are still watery in our very dry climate. Here are links of Juie with TomSpellman from Wilson Nursery and in a CRFG avocado seminar in San Diego.
UC Irvine Avocado Collection
UC Irvine Avocado Collection part two
Julie Frink Talks Avocados

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2012, 01:03:50 PM »
JF I'm not sure about California but in my experience here as soon as the summer rains go away the late season fruit gets better. Like the Monroes we have not had rain in two months. They are great! The watery issues, well is relative thing specially if you compare it to Hass. I like both each is different. I know people in the Antilles basin that do not like Hass because is too oily and "does not taste good"  All depends what you grew up with.  Remember what gets to the supermarkets is what the packing house and the supermarket chains decide.  Not necessarily the best of Florida avocados
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2012, 01:11:54 PM »
@Carlos
Many thanks for your reply which I read two times. I like watery avocados on the side. You eat a bite of chicken then a bite of avocado. You eat a bit of beans (negro) or rice (brown) then a bite of avocado. Americans (born here like me) only see avocados through a guacamole prism. So Hass dominates... at least so far

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2012, 01:28:16 PM »
@Carlos
Many thanks for your reply which I read two times. I like watery avocados on the side. You eat a bite of chicken then a bite of avocado. You eat a bit of beans (negro) or rice (brown) then a bite of avocado. Americans (born here like me) only see avocados through a guacamole prism. So Hass dominates... at least so far

Can't deny that.. I didn't enjoy (or really think of) avocado as anything but a dip until vising dominican republic with a friend and spending a week with his family. Now, If it's avocado season, I have a few slices with most meals.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 02:07:03 PM by demingcr »
- Colin

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2012, 01:32:11 PM »
@Carlos
That is a point well taken. I always forget that most people only each avocados in guacamole. We eat both, mostly as a side dish with the meal.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2012, 06:31:37 PM »
JF I'm not sure about California but in my experience here as soon as the summer rains go away the late season fruit gets better. Like the Monroes we have not had rain in two months. They are great! The watery issues, well is relative thing specially if you compare it to Hass. I like both each is different. I know people in the Antilles basin that do not like Hass because is too oily and "does not taste good"  All depends what you grew up with.  Remember what gets to the supermarkets is what the packing house and the supermarket chains decide.  Not necessarily the best of Florida avocados

Carlos, I'm sure summer rains plays a big role in Miami but not in Socal. I agree with you, all avocados have their unique fine qualities. I  grew up eating slice avocados with just about any Cuban dish my mother and grandmother prepared. ..... so I understand the value of the West Indian avocados.... I love them but given that 95% of the avocados that are grown in the USA are from California and 90% our imports are Hass from Michoacon Mexico I don't see the West Indian avocado gaining mainstream popularity anytime soon. Supermarket chains play the percentage they know what sells so they play it safe.  Florida avocados are a fixture in the Hispanic groceries and supermarkets in the Los Angeles area but are rarely seen anywhere else. If the Oro Negro has Hassesque qualities that's a plus for the avocado market in Miami.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2012, 06:58:31 PM »
Rob,
What's the season for the day avocado?  How does it compare to brogdon?
Depending on the season, late July through September or so.  Fir an early season, it is rich, fatty with a nice nutty flavor.  I prefer Day over Brogdon.
- Rob