Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

top work apricot in july

(1/4) > >>

jtnguyen333:
I have this apricot for 5 years now.  The total fruit I got from 5 years is less than 20.   So I decided to stump it soon. Is mid-summer the the right time to stump a couple of main branches and do a bark graft?  The tree has 3 main branches.  Each branch is 2.5" to 3.5" in diameter.  I will stump 2 of the 3 and graft something else onto it.

growinginphoenix:
I have read that summer is the time for budding and that spring when the temperatures are between 60-80F and the new leaves are 1-2 inches long is the best time to do other types of grafts on apricot. I'm not an expert though...

seng:
During this time of the year, there is no scions to graft to. 

Don't top work.  Just graft on smaller branches.  That was what I did to my apricot. 

Your tree do not fruit most likely the chill hour issue.  Find low chill ones like:
-cot-n-candy.
-flavor delight
-katty
-gold kist

jtnguyen333:

--- Quote from: seng on June 19, 2024, 01:11:27 PM ---During this time of the year, there is no scions to graft to. 

Don't top work.  Just graft on smaller branches.  That was what I did to my apricot. 

Your tree do not fruit most likely the chill hour issue.  Find low chill ones like:
-cot-n-candy.
-flavor delight
-katty
-gold kist

--- End quote ---

May be I will do that.  The one in the picture is a gold kist -- very unreliable production.

SoCalGardenNut:
I had a Gold Kist and maybe a Katy, I ordered them online, they never had a single flower, so i got rid of them after 3 years. Royal Blenheim is perfect for my weather.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version