Author Topic: Want to buy Cherimoya fruit in San Diego  (Read 9197 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Want to buy Cherimoya fruit in San Diego
« on: November 09, 2013, 10:33:04 PM »
Hello everyone,
I'm looking to buy some cherimoya fruit for my own consumption. My trees are small so I will not let them hold fruit till next year. I'm especially interested in the finer varieties like El Bumpo and Sabor but I'll purchase as long as the quality is good. I'll pay the going price down here. I can pick up in the San Diego area unless you are willing to ship. Please pm me if you have fruit available. Thanks in advance!
Simon

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Want to buy Cherimoya fruit in San Diego
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 03:07:36 AM »
Simon, just emailed you an email for you to contact. Cookie Monster posted this gent's email before, Peter M. He is in Escondido.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 03:16:12 PM by kh0110 »
Thera

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 03:23:16 PM »
I agree, I was referred to him(Peter) as well. According to our email conversation, 2 months ago. He said this year's crop is later than usual. So, he might have his first crop for sale sometime in December. His price seems very reasonable for 10+lbs/$65(shipping included, if need be). I haven't order from him yet, so, this will be my first season, buying from him.  Can't wait! His fruits are also of the name varieties and not seedling fruits. I also have Peter's email, if you need it?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 05:37:14 PM »
Thanks for the information. I believe either cherimoya.com closed down and Calimoya won't have fruit till later in the season.
Simon

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 10:57:11 PM »
Simon, there is a guy at the farmers market in Escondido by the golf course on Sundays that has good cherimoyas, I don't know if he has them now, but they are real good. If you want to come down to my place I can give you a few I have ripe ones all the time. I just bring them to work and feed the other people.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 12:36:46 AM »
Thanks for your gracious offer Mark. I emailed Peter and hopefully he will have some available for sale. Man, I'm really craving Cherimoya lately and can't wait for them to show up at Lucky Seafood. There were some really small and disfigured Cherimoyas at the Mira Mesa Farmers market but I passed on them because they were tiny and there were only a few to choose from. I read this post too late but I'll check out the Escondido Farmers market next week. If I still can't score, I'll pm you. I would love to check out your plants!
Simon

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 11:56:25 PM »
Marks a great guy.

Bought some dragon fruit cutting a from him and he educated me in the tropical fruit Areana.

Not only did I come home with several varieties of dragon fruits cuttings.

I also came home with 2 cherymoya fruit, some chilli fruit, some coffee bean fruits/seed, a taste of miracle fruit and some seeds and them delicious cape gooseberry.

Got to see a real banana tree and a Papaya tree in California. For me at least it was weird, wonderful and amazing seeing the papaya tree as it makes you feel good.

And most import knowledge. It was my first experience into the tropical fruit tree world. Didn't know coffee bean were yellow and sweet. Now I want one.

Thanks Mark!!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 11:59:48 PM by NaturalGreenthumb »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 08:30:39 PM »
Simon, just emailed you an email for you to contact. Cookie Monster posted this gent's email before, Peter Matsos. He is in Escondido.

Hello kh0010,
I emailed Peter a couple times about two weeks ago and he has yet to reply. Do you happen to know if he has a storefront I can visit?
Simon

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 08:41:43 PM »
I emailed Peter a couple times about two weeks ago and he has yet to reply. Do you happen to know if he has a storefront I can visit?
Simon

Hey Simon, to my knowledge, Peter doesn't have a storefront nor a website. He has an orchard and so is a very busy guy. Just be patient, I'm sure he'll get to answering your emails. If I manage to buy some El Bumpos from Peter this season, I will share (tasting session) but you need to drive up to LA areas. :)
Thera

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 09:59:35 PM »
Thanks for the information and the offer Thera. I hope he will reply when he gets a chance. We should start to get some good cherimoyas here in San Diego very soon.
Simon

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 10:13:28 PM »
Thanks for the information and the offer Thera. I hope he will reply when he gets a chance. We should start to get some good cherimoyas here in San Diego very soon.
Simon
Don't worry Simon, Peter seems to be quite busy. He didn't respond to my emails for about 3 or so weeks. Had thought he forgotten, but he eventually responded when he had the time.

Sven

• USA, Sounthern California, Jamul, 9B 3000 ft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 08:26:28 AM »
Simon,

I saw a good amount of cherimoyas for the first time this week at the farmers market. 

Sven

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 03:30:41 AM »
Simon, just checking in, have you heard back from Peter? I got a box of about 10 lbs of nice cherimoyas from him a couple of weeks ago. Apart from my favorite El Bumpo, I liked Big Sister and Santa Rosa a lot. Peter confirmed that Santa Rosa is a top variety on his list and that he will be planting some more of it soon.
Thera

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 12:53:23 AM »
Hello Thera,

I have not heard back from Peter yet but someone that lives in the Vista area heard I was looking for fruit and they sold me 15 lbs of good looking fruit. I have heard that Santa Rosa is an excellent quality fruit, the lady at the Mira Mesa farmers market said some of the fruit she sold was this variety.

Cherimoyas taste so different depending on so many factors such as weather, soil, amount of water, when harvested, how it's ripened and the list goes on. The Cherimoya tree I had at my old house gave me fruit that were different shapes and also, one year, some fruit were hard as a rock and did not ripen properly while some fruit ripened perfectly.

Even when grown in orchard conditions, I've noticed that fruit from the same variety can taste different from year to year. One year, it may be gritty with little acid and the next, it can be smooth and higher acid. I will be going to the Cherimoya tasting in a couple weeks do I hope to see everyone there.
Simon

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 01:44:21 PM »
Simon,

I got a reply from Peter yesterday after emailing twice, once back in early December, he didn't respond, second time in late December. He finally responded yesterday, but said his season is over for this year. So, I ran out of luck :(

He may not have responded back to you, but at least you still got some fruits, unlike me :(

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 09:16:45 PM »
Once again, I'm on the hunt for excellent quality cherimoya fruit. If you have any available for sale, please pm me. I never did hear back from Peter last year. Thanks,
Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 09:33:40 PM »
Once again, I'm on the hunt for excellent quality cherimoya fruit. If you have any available for sale, please pm me. I never did hear back from Peter last year. Thanks,
Simon

Hi Simon

You meet peter in my tasting can I give him you #?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 10:34:15 PM »
Yes, please do! Thanks JF!

Simon

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2014, 07:50:04 PM »
If anyone knows of someone shipping cherimoyas this year please let me know. I'm not too concerned about specific varieties

sdtury

• san Diego california
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 11:31:53 PM »
You guys can find the best cherimoyas in san Diego at the spring valley swapmeet, they usually have them for sale from February until late April..  Don't know the cultivar but they are really big and sweet.  Last year I bought a few that weighted 5 lbs..
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 12:21:55 AM by sdtury »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk