Author Topic: Himalayan mulberry scions  (Read 3701 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Himalayan mulberry scions
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2023, 01:13:02 PM »
Seanny, yes it is.

It's funny that when it comes out of dormancy, and then starts to fruit on all the branches, the leaves are still small like in the photos. After the fruits are all done, during the summer the leaves just keeps growing very large and stays that way until it drops in the winter.

Here's some old photo of my trees from Brad.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 09:12:50 PM by sc4001992 »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2023, 04:33:22 PM »
I actually went and looked for good pieces for people and my tree is already leafed out so no scions now sorry.  Also a lot of people were asking for it.  I dont really want to hackmup the tree that much either.  If you have extras people want them Kaz.  You can sell them on my thread, I dont care.
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2023, 05:05:44 PM »
Brad, all my trees have leafed out and have lots of fruits so I won't be cutting any until after the fruits are done.

Abirkett2

• USA, FLORIDA, CHRISTMAS, ZONE9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2023, 08:45:14 PM »
Wow Kaz your tree looks great, congrats.  Hopefully Brad responds and I can get a few cuttings.  I would love to add this variety to, we have a drawf everbearing tree we were just about to dig up.  Hopefully we can convert it into something great.

Grafting it seems like a great idea. I plan on making a cocktail Mulberry tree with my dwarf everbearing. I do like showing people how to grow plants from cuttings using it since it roots so easily.
Froot Farms is a family owned/operated edible plant nursery, apiary, and composting site in Christmas, FL.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2023, 09:11:56 PM »
Red Himalayan and White Pakistan do not root easily. I have not been able to get any cuttings to root. You need to graft these two varieties.

daisyguy

• Gainesville, Florida (North Central Florida)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2023, 10:42:23 PM »
Wow Kaz your tree looks great, congrats.  Hopefully Brad responds and I can get a few cuttings.  I would love to add this variety to, we have a drawf everbearing tree we were just about to dig up.  Hopefully we can convert it into something great.

Grafting it seems like a great idea. I plan on making a cocktail Mulberry tree with my dwarf everbearing. I do like showing people how to grow plants from cuttings using it since it roots so easily.

Mulberries have such vastly different growth rates and dormancy timings that I'd be hesitant to make a cocktail tree. I grafted some of Kaz's Himalayan Red mulberry scions onto a thai dwarf mulberry last year and they've grown so long and large that I'm worried about the otherwise solid graft union breaking.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2023, 11:22:49 PM »
Yes, the Himalayan (from Brad) is a vigorous tree, so you need to top it every year to keep it from overtaking the rootstock. I also have a few grafted on my Thai Dwarf and it is fine as long as I cut it back each year. The ones I grafted on the Black Pak is huge, branches are larger than the Black Pakistan branches on the same tree.

grant5185

• Sebastian, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2023, 01:46:55 PM »
It is vigorous as Kaz and Brad said.   I grafted it onto sixth street rootstock, and an everbearing tree from Home Depot and growth is very fast.    Nice cultivar