Author Topic: What plants would you save during a fire evacuation?  (Read 687 times)

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
What plants would you save during a fire evacuation?
« on: February 11, 2022, 09:41:01 AM »
Yesterday morning there was a mandatory fire evacuation a couple miles from me and we were on standby.  As the helicopters and planes were flying over my house and officials on loudspeaker saying to prepare for evacuation, we were prioritizing what we needed to take.  Fortunately, the firefighters were able to get it under control, but it was really windy and Laguna Beach had a huge fire in the past, so I was seriously assessing what I would save.  Besides my pets, photos and important documents, the only thing I cared about were my plants.  Our van is in the shop, so I couldn't really take anything with me.

In the past couple of years, we have been simplifying our life and considering what really matters to us as we plan our future.  Now I was in a situation thinking I could lose my garden and plants and what I've worked to create over 20 years.  I surrendered to the moment and put the container plants that would be difficult to replace in the garage, my jaboticaba collection, yangmeis, hilo white pineapple, passiflora antioquiensis, a young surinam cherry that is said to be large and taste like tangerines, yellow grumichama, butterscotch sapodilla, a couple eugenias, and my favorite rare orchids.  As I walked through the garden later, I was/am so grateful to have all these plants in my life.  Also, so grateful for the firefighters, they are heroes to me.

This opportunity also made me realize I need to make back ups of my rare plants to keep at the farm, and share the genetics with others so they're not lost.  In my personal life, there aren't very many people passionate about plants and fruits.  So I am thankful to have found this community here.  I am assuming there are others here who would be priortizing plants during an emergency evacuation.

Janet

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: What plants would you save during a fire evacuation?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 11:11:52 AM »
I live in an exceedingly high fire risk area. Fires have come so close you could see the nearest hillside glowing, just over the crest. The first few times I evacuated, I gathered everything and anything and absolutely stuffed my car with important documents, artwork, clothing, and the kitchen sink. The next evacuation, I took less. The following evacuations (we get at least one every year) I took very little, just my passport and important documents and the go-bag (along with expensive electronics like cameras and stuff, but nothing bulky).

If it were really bearing down on me, I would just unroll the fire hose, wet down the roofs and trees as best I can and go with my backpack and docs. Insurance can pay me out for the furniture and stuff in the house and garage.

Unfortunately here in drought stricken California, fires are a part of our lives whether we want or not. I will no longer spend hours or days worrying about it. If the fire comes for my stuff, so be it. I'd be sad later of course, but seems better this way. Insure your stuff for fire folks!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 11:20:49 AM »
Great topic!

In the past, would've grabbed mangosteen and yangmei.

Now, would grab none on the way out of town.

Just scoop up the kids and pets and go!

Thankfully, could easily replace all or most of our plants. 

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 11:38:54 AM »
I, too, have thought about this quite a bit. The property I farm has burned down twice in the past 20 years. I’m not sure I would make the effort to save any of my plants or trees.  There are some seedlings of various mango varieties, sapote, Plinia, and other rare stuff that I would hate to part with.  I have a much stronger attachment to my plants that I grew from seed as opposed to plants that were purchased at a fruiting or near fruiting stage.  Redundancy is key. Make backups of all your precious items and give them to family members and friends so you always have stock to restart the collection.  My vineyard is most precious to me as more hours have been invested in its upkeep.   
Most importantly, make a video record of all your plantings in the event of a natural or man made disaster.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 11:57:40 AM »
Check your fire insurance coverage for” landscaping” or “trees” coverage.
It can be capped around $10,000 - $15,000 so you may need more coverage .

I can’t imagine having enough time to load up 45 gallon Jaboticaba’s on the truck but yes  1 or 2 of those would be my priority.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 02:29:48 PM »
A few well aimed sprinklers that you can turn on and let run in case of a fire can help to reduce your losses. 
Brad Spaugh

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2022, 02:36:06 PM »
Check your fire insurance coverage for” landscaping” or “trees” coverage.
It can be capped around $10,000 - $15,000 so you may need more coverage .

I can’t imagine having enough time to load up 45 gallon Jaboticaba’s on the truck but yes  1 or 2 of those would be my priority.

My bigger jabos and cocktails would be priority if any, but I just can't fathom really having the time to do it - plus the likelihood of damage is really high. Sucks to do all this and then your property is fine anyways.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2022, 09:18:07 PM »
Great topic!

In the past, would've grabbed mangosteen and yangmei.

Now, would grab none on the way out of town.

Just scoop up the kids and pets and go!

Thankfully, could easily replace all or most of our plants.

👍