Author Topic: S.T. Maui / ST Maui Mango  (Read 25823 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: S.T. Maui / ST Maui Mango
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2015, 09:28:47 AM »
Does St Maui taste better than Ice Cream Mango? I'm not worried about production, only quality of fruit? I've tried Ice Cream and really like it so I'm hoping St Maui will be similar or better in terms of flavor.

Simon

no it doesn't have the finest of ice crean, It's in the class of Angie,sunrise.

I wonder what, if any, taste difference there is with the Ice Cream grown in Florida vs California.   I say this cause I, and others i know, feel it is not of very good quality.  Its not a clean tree gere and if it weren't for its compact/smaller growing size, I feel there would be very little demand for it.

Rob
I was telling this to Behl I wasn't blown away when I tasted in Florida but here it has all the qualities the top tier mangos have into one. Aboyami mention that at one point it was,his favorite mango and it's still in the top 5.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2015, 03:39:51 PM »
Thanks for your input JF and Rob. Rob, the Ice Cream grown in SoCal is an excellent tasting fruit that is very unique and has a very subtle complex flavor that is difficult to describe. I've recently had the pleasure of tasting many different varieties of mango and Ice Cream is on my top 10 list even though it is a slow grower and I'm trying to grow ginormous trees.

It was a smaller mango that was not pretty and it had a firm texture and a very sweet taste. It had a Brix above 20, I can't remember exactly what it was but it was sweet enough. It had a complex mild Indian Resin taste that I have not experienced in any other mango. The Resin taste is not as strong as Alphonso or Kesar, it was mild and very different with a lot of depth.

The Ice Cream mango was very well received by all tasters and I believe most had it on their top 3 list. I believe it was Tropicdude that mentioned that if one were to like the Ice Cream mango, they may also like the St Maui. I'm hoping that the St Maui has that same complex hard to describe resin note as the Ice Cream. I feel that the Mangos we grow here in SoCal are less washed out, for susceptible varieties, due to the less frequent rains we receive and also perhaps due to the longer amount of time the fruit ripens on the tree. My Glenn's for example were anything but mild and had a Brix into the 20s.

Simon

Simon

Ice Cream is a nice shape yellowish mango you might be referring to grown outside of California.

Nothing ugly about this mango??

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2015, 11:20:14 AM »
I grow both and like them about the same in terms of eating quality and flavor. Both are very good mangos. Otherwise they couldnt be more different in terms of growth habit, fruit size, disease resistance etc

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2015, 11:31:03 AM »
JF, you're right, I'm basing my observation on fruit pictures on this forum which is from Florida. That piece of fruit is quite beautiful.

Squam, thanks so much for the information and scions. Most the scions have pushed already. I really like the Ice Cream Mango and have not tasted the St Maui yet. I want a big tree and lots of fruit that resembles Ice Cream so I hope St Maui is a good choice. I was looking for Ice Cream scions to put on Double Stone graft but Dongeorgios scions were already pushing and I forgot to check with you. If St Maui is close enough to Ice Cream in terms of flavor I'm not even going to try the DSG on Ice Cream as I already have a St Maui on DSG that is pushing. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress of my St Maui and let people know how it compares to Ice Cream when grown in SoCal but it will be several years before I see any fruit. Thanks again!

Simon

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2015, 05:24:42 PM »
Have only had a few Ice Cream ,and only a couple ST Maui,  2 years ago.  I liked both,  but remember being surprised by the ST Maui.   everything about it was good.  Flavor, color, texture.   the tree from the ones I have seen, look healthy and productive.   
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2015, 11:24:54 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation Tropicdude! I can't wait to get fruit from my tree. I have it on Double rootstock so hopefully I will get some fruit in 4 years or so. I grafted onto seedlings so I need the plants to reach the proper size before I let it hold fruit.

Simon

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2015, 10:56:08 AM »
trying to grow it here in Southern California too.. hopefully fruit in a few years..  ;D

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2015, 05:49:37 PM »
ST Maui was bred in Florida. Florida Red was bred is Hawaii. Seems everyone wants to be from where they are not from to get respect....

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2015, 08:48:17 PM »
ST Maui was bred in Florida. Florida Red was bred is Hawaii. Seems everyone wants to be from where they are not from to get respect....

ST Maui was not bred in Florida. It was sent to Florida from Hawaii by Dick Hamilton.

'Floida Red', aka 'Rapoza', is indeed from Hawaii.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2015, 01:12:30 AM »

ST Maui was not bred in Florida. It was sent to Florida from Hawaii by Dick Hamilton.

Thanks for shedding some light on the origin of this variety.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2015, 01:19:47 PM »
Duly noted.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2016, 12:09:44 AM »
Which one of these is a St Maui pic 1 or 2? I got these scions from a forum member a few years ago that I grafted in different trees. I was confuse last year even more this year.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2016, 12:29:00 AM »
JF,

The ST Maui's on my tree (before the fruit fell off) looked more like pic 2.
I don't recall seeing any with that tiny beak on pic 1.

Who knows...maybe I have a mislabeled tree.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 12:33:34 AM by wslau »
Warren

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2016, 01:50:46 AM »
JF,

The ST Maui's on my tree (before the fruit fell off) looked more like pic 2.
I don't recall seeing any with that tiny beak on pic 1.

Who knows...maybe I have a mislabeled tree.

Thanks Warren. Maybe one of the experts from Florida can shime in an ID it.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2016, 07:03:18 AM »
Pic #2 looks more like the ST Maui currently on my tree.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2016, 07:45:13 AM »

He sent ST Maui to Florida and forgot to distribute it here in Hawaii? Or if he did it never made the mark. Seems to me nobody here has it.
Too bad cultivars get renamed like that. Rapoza should stay Rapoza even inside of Florida.
Oscar

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2016, 09:26:55 AM »

He sent ST Maui to Florida and forgot to distribute it here in Hawaii? Or if he did it never made the mark. Seems to me nobody here has it.
Too bad cultivars get renamed like that. Rapoza should stay Rapoza even inside of Florida.

I agree, and most people in Florida call it Rapoza and that's how its propagated by nurseries. Some grower(s) apparently have marketed it under the name 'Florida Red'. A more appropriate re-naming would be 'Hawaiian Red'.

The biggest flaw I've found with ST Maui is its one of the most vigorous trees I've ever seen, regardless of where its grown. Could be one of the reasons why it got "rejected".

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2016, 07:24:30 PM »
Picked my first St. Maui about 7 days ago. Tasted it today. Definitely  needs more time, probably a late July fruit in my area. Great complex flavors, no fiber,  promises to be a winner, almost as good or better than my Glenn. The tree did not flower evenly  I did prune it because it was growing out of control did not like last year pruning. It has 10-15 fruit  all in the lower branches.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2016, 07:37:18 PM »
Carlos, this year was not a year to base conclusions.  Flowering was late, harvest times are off and many areas were ravaged by anthracnose.

As for the variety itself,  from the trees I have seen it is a vigorous grower in South Florida so keep that in mind.  You also need to be weary of cutting too much back at one time as it can cause the tree to skip blooming.
- Rob

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2016, 07:50:46 PM »
I've had 3 so far from my tree. Very strong pineapple flavor, tart and acidic with a bright yellow flesh. It's like eating a pineapple to me. Vigorous, vertical grower that produces in bunches. Fruit is blocky round in shape almost Cushman-ish. Mean brix in the 14s.
F*ck squirrels and deers

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2016, 07:52:55 PM »
I've had 3 so far from my tree. Very strong pineapple flavor, tart and acidic with a bright yellow flesh. It's like eating a pineapple to me. Vigorous, vertical grower that produces in bunches. Fruit is blocky round in shape almost Cushman-ish. Mean brix in the 14s.

How are you picking them?  What color stage?
- Rob

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2016, 07:55:25 PM »
yellow ripe.
F*ck squirrels and deers

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2016, 08:04:26 PM »
yellow ripe.

Just curious,  never heard it described that way.
- Rob

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2016, 03:58:00 PM »
Carlos, this year was not a year to base conclusions.  Flowering was late, harvest times are off and many areas were ravaged by anthracnose.

As for the variety itself,  from the trees I have seen it is a vigorous grower in South Florida so keep that in mind.  You also need to be weary of cutting too much back at one time as it can cause the tree to skip blooming.
Thanks it sure did. This is such a growing that if you dont prune hard every year will reach 20 ft or more. Just oout of curiosity will let it grow this year
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2016, 04:01:09 PM »
Had an ST Maui a couple days ago and it was outstanding. Excellent fruit, and very beautiful too.